I feel robbed by etx capital and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

I take it Highbury that you run things at IG and whatever you say here is.most likely what IG are planning to do with clients I assume?

Whatever happened to IG's Corporate Social Responsibility? Would social responsibility not encompass bleeding clients with negative balances for everything they have and more?

Ethics should play a part in spreadbetting firms approach to chasing balances. Spreadbetting with firms as principal/bookie effectively gives all the power to the firm and clients deserve undivided attention. Clients expect the best possible result as there should be duty of care at least. Am I completely missing something?

Isn't this a bit 'off topic' in terms of this particular thread?

To be fair (to all the SB / CFD firms out there) didn't the clients take on the risk when they traded on a forex pair which was being heavily fixed / manipulated by a very vocal central bank?

Sorry...did go off on a tangent. Clients did take on the risk of the trade but once the floor was pulled everyone was at the mercy of their sp/cfd firm. Some closed out early, some forgave negative balances, some requoted and some traded at lows. I was just shocked at how different all the firms reacted both to sell EURCHF and then the aftermath of client balance carnage.

Clients had a relationship with SB/CFD firm, and the firm had the relationship with the liquidity providers. It was completely out of clients control what happened with their positions and SB/CFD firms just say LPs didn't provide and therefore clients put up the whole bill. Isn't part of the duty of care of a SB/CFD firm to ensure their LP agreements are such that the client can get the best outcome?

The ETX situation seems just crazy how they can requote so many times and after so long. I hope Barry gets his intended outcome.

I take it Highbury that you run things at IG and whatever you say here is.most likely what IG are planning to do with clients I assume?

Whatever happened to IG's Corporate Social Responsibility? Would social responsibility not encompass bleeding clients with negative balances for everything they have and more?

Ethics should play a part in spreadbetting firms approach to chasing balances. Spreadbetting with firms as principal/bookie effectively gives all the power to the firm and clients deserve undivided attention. Clients expect the best possible result as there should be duty of care at least. Am I completely missing something?

I don't work at IG or have any influence there at all.

Is the firming question regulated by any chance?

I haven't spoken about my business here and I won't. I've said time and time again that that isn't my motive for posting on T2W. But, as a final word on the matter, Yes - the firm has its own regulatory license.

MiFID Directives only cover firms involved in investment services and activities, not those involved in ancillary services. In the UK MiFID has been incorporated into FCA which means any FCA regulated body is automatically subject to these directives. However, spot FX contracts are not considered to be financial instruments for the purposes of MiFID and that part of a firm's business that is not covered by MiFID is not subject to MiFID.
I am quite sure you are wrong about this, this would put the whole SB industry outside the control of MiFID as SB is not considered to be financial instruments. The most part of EU regards from a taxation point of view SB to be an instrument.

I don't work at IG or have any influence there at all.

Hi Highbury.... I am very sorry for making that assumption. In any case I should not have done it on an open forum and put you in the position of having to agree or deny. Apologies...I really did not think before posting.

Hi Highbury.... I am very sorry for making that assumption. In any case I should not have done it on an open forum and put you in the position of having to agree or deny. Apologies...I really did not think before posting.

no worries. its fine.

I haven't spoken about my business here and I won't. I've said time and time again that that isn't my motive for posting on T2W. But, as a final word on the matter, Yes - the firm has its own regulatory license.

Fair comments. I'm sure everyone actually appreciates your input from the firm's side of the fence.

As an aside, do you have any ideas regarding clients who might have been left with negative balances after the Jan15 fiasco? What's the word in spreadbetting circles on the pro side? I'm not in that situation myself as I had no exposure to CHF. However, now I've searched around (on the interweb thing) I see that the fall out is much larger than I initially imagined. It would seem that this not limited to larger experienced 'should know better' traders but seems to involve a great many smaller traders who were trading on very big leverage. There are instances with clients with £5,000 accounts suffering losses of £150,000. I would suggest than many of these clients will never be able to pay off these losses?

Is there any word from any of the firms on how they intend to proceed? I notice that many of the US firms have already written off negative balances; I guess they fear interference from the authorities?

Cheers,
Steve.

I am quite sure you are wrong about this, this would put the whole SB industry outside the control of MiFID as SB is not considered to be financial instruments. The most part of EU regards from a taxation point of view SB to be an instrument.
I might well be, but goin from memory it was article 190 or 191 that I seem ta remember from a while back. That the entire SB industry could be outside MiFID is not a surprise ta me at any rate. Check out the directives for yourself though as I may well have got it wrong.

Fair comments. I'm sure everyone actually appreciates your input from the firm's side of the fence.

As an aside, do you have any ideas regarding clients who might have been left with negative balances after the Jan15 fiasco? What's the word in spreadbetting circles on the pro side? I'm not in that situation myself as I had no exposure to CHF. However, now I've searched around (on the interweb thing) I see that the fall out is much larger than I initially imagined. It would seem that this not limited to larger experienced 'should know better' traders but seems to involve a great many smaller traders who were trading on very big leverage. There are instances with clients with £5,000 accounts suffering losses of £150,000. I would suggest than many of these clients will never be able to pay off these losses?

Is there any word from any of the firms on how they intend to proceed? I notice that many of the US firms have already written off negative balances; I guess they fear interference from the authorities?

Cheers,
Steve.

we put our clients negative balances back to zero after the snb. We were able to do this because our liquidity providers reacted kindly to us asking them to show some leniency with the fills they were giving us on our hedges. We got an improvement and we passed that improvement onto our clients.

I don't want to take the moral high ground because had my liquidity providers (LP) not been so generous it would have left me having to make a difficult decision: do I let my clients have negative balances and chase them for it or do I make their balance zero and suffer a bad pnl for a few days but have their trust for ever.

different spreadbet/cfd firms have acted very differently in how they are treating their client snb balances and that's quite strange because usually all s/b firms have a similar attitude when it comes to dealing with negative balances, and that is to pursue the loss.

Firms that run risk were better placed post snb to not chase client losses as they didn't need the client loss to pay the loss they have with their LP's. more B book firms than STP firms have been sympathetic to their clients and helped them a little.

its very important to remember that a retail client is usually only active for 5-8 months. The s/b company has to consider is it really worth spending for example £10,000 to bring a clients account back to zero when that client has only ever deposited £2,000 and was likely to be an ex-client in a few months anyway. From a commercial perspective why would they do that? from a moral perspective its more of a dilemma.

i'm pretty confident that the loss is the clients. what i'm not confident about is the manner in which they were filled and where they were filled. to be given a fill from an automated order engine that is then changed a few hours later to better reflect the move is one thing but to then change it again the next day is a bit of a slippery slope.

had I been inclined to change the rate I would have made sure that I only done it once and that I had plenty of evidence to support my decision. I would be transparent with that evidence to the point of posting it on our site. It's only charts from tier 1 banks and price confirmation of trades that were going through the interbank market, its certainly not top secret stuff.

its easy for me to say look how clever and generous we are in hindsight but the reality of it was it was a really bad hour or so.. it took everyone by surprise and the reaction by most firms would have been genuinely to try and do as much for their clients as they can. no one wants to see people wiped out like that. it was only a couple of hours later when the top bods at the s/b firms began to realise that actually we've all lost a game changing amount of money did we begin to consider the options that were open to us. which we now know included retrospectively changing the prices on deals that were previously confirmed as done.

I don't think there are many firms that would pursue a client who had £5k on deposit before the crash and suffered a £100k loss for the £100k if he clearly couldn't afford to pay it. They seem to be taking the approach of pay what you can in an agreed time. They certainly aren't fools and will make sure that if they do write some debt off a clients balance that it is only done after the client has convinced the s/b firm of their true financial position.

I don't know any risk managers in financial s/b firms who actively try and bankrupt people. it really is the last resort and something that no one has any pleasure in doing. In all my time in spreadbetting and CFD's I know of only a handful of people that have been pursued through the courts for a bankruptcy decision. we would prefer to agree a schedule of payments to get as much back as we could.

Question for Highbury FX and Steve (but obviously open to all)...

All firms are required to post their order execution policies on the internet per the FCA.  what happens if after the fact clients discover the platform logic contains things very relevant to how their orders were executed.  for example not just price and size checks, but concentration checks that are not mentioned anywhere in the order execution policies.  do clients have some cause for complaint when they realize their orders were therefore executed in a fashion which was not explicitly laid out and may have changed their trading behavior?

Short answer I believe is No. I don't have and never have had exposure to retail provision, but I think what you're asking for is details of operational issues which would almost certainly be proprietary and definitely extremely commercially sensitive.

All firms are required to post their order execution policies on the internet per the FCA.  what happens if after the fact clients discover the platform logic contains things very relevant to how their orders were executed.  for example not just price and size checks, but concentration checks that are not mentioned anywhere in the order execution policies.  do clients have some cause for complaint when they realize their orders were therefore executed in a fashion which was not explicitly laid out and may have changed their trading behavior?

In my experience most firms will argue about the way that they 'normally' do things. This CHF event is a rare occurrence - so the firms will argue that 99.9% of the time they follow what is set out in the various documents. They'll argue that no document can cover all scenarios and therefore there will be odd occasions when they have to go 'off piste'.

Personally I don't think that you have any grounds to go at a firm from that angle.

The issue with many clients is negative balances caused by stop orders taking too long to be filled.

Bear in mind that Barry's original complaint is that his SB firm is retrospectively removing their liquidity from the CHF crosses and then repricing the exit prices.

To me there are a number of clear differences between the claims being made against the individual firms.

I don't think so. As I mentioned previously the t+c's of s/b firms are very specific but also general enough to cover any eventuality.

This business is quite simple in theory and the legal department of any s/b co will have little problem in pointing to a clause that offers them some protection from any client complaint.

Good s/b firms should be willing to compromise when the complaint is 50/50. Some do but we are seeing more of a culture appearing where the client is considered fodder and given little courtesy. The firms that are treating people that way will suffer when the current trend changes and clients demand service and respect again rather than no spread and 500:1 leverage and 100% deposit bonuses.

I don't think so. As I mentioned previously the t+c's of s/b firms are very specific but also general enough to cover any eventuality.

This business is quite simple in theory and the legal department of any s/b co will have little problem in pointing to a clause that offers them some protection from any client complaint.

Good s/b firms should be willing to compromise when the complaint is 50/50. Some do but we are seeing more of a culture appearing where the client is considered fodder and given little courtesy. The firms that are treating people that way will suffer when the current trend changes and clients demand service and respect again rather than no spread and 500:1 leverage and 100% deposit bonuses.
I know that IC Markets did cover all the negativ balances due to the Swiss currency move, but this only after a lot of protest on the Internet. ETX sure have had their share of it, but they have decided not to appy to any such a deal for their clients.

I might well be, but goin from memory it was article 190 or 191 that I seem ta remember from a while back. That the entire SB industry could be outside MiFID is not a surprise ta me at any rate. Check out the directives for yourself though as I may well have got it wrong.
Yes, for what I rembember it was the other way around reading it, but I will have another look at it given the time.

Hi, Based on your experience, would it be right for a spreadbetting firm to offload it's own risk prior to a clients?

Last edited: