ETX Capital

Yes, I first mentioned about the bell, it is not on the adv IG chart unless you start their standalone package, I don't have deal through switched on, so of course thought you meant that was where the chart alert function was, so thanked you for the info, but I'm confused now, are you talking of their trading platform alerts function?

I will post screeners of both in a mo

Did u received an email from IG about the Real time charts !! :cheesy:

Did u received an email from IG about the Real time charts !! :cheesy:

Yes mate, got it today as well, 2 trades a month or cough up you leecher! ok, fair cop guv I thought :cheesy:

still, the quick charts will be free if you don't currently trade with them, and very nice they are too :|

are ETX stop losses too high?

hey everyone, I'm really leaning towards ETX because of their intuitive interface and the lack of horror stories about them, however I'm noticing that their min stop loss is very high. I want to work off a risk/rew of 1:4 but achieving that doesn't seem feasible with the min SL. Is this correct or am I missing something?

hey everyone, I'm really leaning towards ETX because of their intuitive interface and the lack of horror stories about them, however I'm noticing that their min stop loss is very high. I want to work off a risk/rew of 1:4 but achieving that doesn't seem feasible with the min SL. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I think you can tailor your stop-loss to suit yourself if you have an actual trading account with ETX. Why don't you pm or email Rob Woolfe of ETX with this question? He posts here so you should be able to pm him, or email him at [email protected].

HTH

tnx for the reply paul-b, I am going to try the test account for 10 working days or so before opening an account so no huge biggie for me yet but I will definitely be contacting him closer to the time.

tnx for the reply paul-b, I am going to try the test account for 10 working days or so before opening an account so no huge biggie for me yet but I will definitely be contacting him closer to the time.

I ran their demo account for a while, but unfortunately you don't have access to their advanced trading charts with an unfunded account. If you email Rob he'll let you open a Silver account and he'll put a free £100 into it, so you can get to grips with their charting package and look at just what you can and cannot do.

As an aside, my Silver account, which was opened last tuesday with ETX's free £100 funding started live trading forex pairs on thursday, and I'm now up to £219! Quite pleased :)

Ive been using ETX for around 6 months and usually trade FTSE, the minimum stop loss is 20 points and its the same for DAX. Ive tried S&P and I think there minimum stop loss is 40 points

A risk/reward of 1:4 is incredibly high! It sounds like you are trying to make a profit from this rather than having a good and profitable system. Your stop will get hit most of the time.

Far better to have a 1:1 risk reward and high likelihood of getting the direction right! Unless your edge consists of being able to do this, you will never make a profit.

Ah okay tnx, but the reason I wanted the low SL was to achieve the small profits as long as the line didn't swing the other way but after playing around with the ftse and wall street indicators I understand why it's higher and appreciate otherwise I would've been stopped out on most of my trades.

I still was hoping to do the 1:4 thing with swing trades on stocks but the spread on them seems ridiculous, like at least 26 pips to even get into the trade so there goes that idea :)

a quick browse on the etx website. i just cant seem to find the demo account option.
anyone noticed?

a quick browse on the etx website. i just cant seem to find the demo account option.
anyone noticed?
When you log in, you have two account options: 'investor' (live account) and 'player' (demo account). The latter is permanently available and permits you to reset the balance to £20k at any time. If only they offered the same facility on the the live investor account, they'd clean up - big time!
:cheesy:

anyone noticed?

Snitcher.

This was a tricky one for us. On the one hand it is fair and reasonable for a client to expect to have access to a platform to test the functionality and tools and to ensure that the spreads and margins are acceptable. On the other hand, from experience a demo account is not always a true reflection of the platform. Demo deals don't impact on a market makers exposure so there is no need to monitor any business going through the website and this can give a potential client a 'rosey' view of the spread betting company.

What we have decided, is to give each client who would like to test our platform a real live account with real live money in it. We don't ask the client to fund the account or do a minimum number of trades or anything else to qualify for the deposit - we quite simply just put a £100 credit into the account for you.

This allows the client to use the platform and judge for themselves the reality of it in a live environment.

We have tried very hard to come to market with a new platform that is easy to use, fast, robust, reliable etc. We made the decison to offer an account credit for clients to trial the platform instead of a demo only after plenty of discussions and careful consideration.

Our minimum bet size on FX is 50p a point so you can do plenty of trades with £100. Of course, any profits that you make will be yours to keep, however the initial £100 account credit will not be avaliable to be withdrawn as cash :whistling

Thanks, Rob.

Snitcher.

This was a tricky one for us. On the one hand it is fair and reasonable for a client to expect to have access to a platform to test the functionality and tools and to ensure that the spreads and margins are acceptable. On the other hand, from experience a demo account is not always a true reflection of the platform. Demo deals don't impact on a market makers exposure so there is no need to monitor any business going through the website and this can give a potential client a 'rosey' view of the spread betting company.

What we have decided, is to give each client who would like to test our platform a real live account with real live money in it. We don't ask the client to fund the account or do a minimum number of trades or anything else to qualify for the deposit - we quite simply just put a £100 credit into the account for you.

This allows the client to use the platform and judge for themselves the reality of it in a live environment.

We have tried very hard to come to market with a new platform that is easy to use, fast, robust, reliable etc. We made the decison to offer an account credit for clients to trial the platform instead of a demo only after plenty of discussions and careful consideration.

Our minimum bet size on FX is 50p a point so you can do plenty of trades with £100. Of course, any profits that you make will be yours to keep, however the initial £100 account credit will not be avaliable to be withdrawn as cash :whistling

Thanks, Rob.

Thanks Rob.
I will be opening an account with ETX soon.

Hi, I hold an account with ETX (formally tradindex) and have done so for some time (as well as several accounts with other providers). Their spreads are larger than industry average (compare indicies spreads to cmc and gft) and the charting whilst vastly improved is still not up to scratch with what other providers are offering in my opinion. Whilst easy to use, saved graph annotations are often cleared for no reason. Slipage on market orders can be very large even by comparison to other spreadbet providers. However, on the upside, after regular trading hours for indicies markets, spreads are competitive and customer service has always been very good by comparison to customer service at other providers.

ETX capital is not one to trade with...their system is slow, staff are extremely rude, they hedge against you and most important see your loss as a strategy

Last edited:
Hi Tayt

I'd like to know a bit more about whats happened. I will PM you with my contact number. Please call me when you have a chance.

thanks, Rob.

Do your trades go through a dealer or straight to market? I'm interested in fast execution and would like to demo your platform, but I see you don't do demo's but place £100 in a account so we can try it out, a good compromise.

Hi Truth Seeker

A bit of both. We assume some risk to a certain level. Once exceeded we'll hedge in the underlying market.

Instead of a demo we offer a £250 safety net... Simply place 5 round turn trades within the first 10 days of your account being activated and we will refund any total net loss up to £250.

Hope to see you trading with us soon.

Best, Rob.

Hi Truth Seeker

A bit of both. We assume some risk to a certain level. Once exceeded we'll hedge in the underlying market.

Instead of a demo we offer a £250 safety net... Simply place 5 round turn trades within the first 10 days of your account being activated and we will refund any total net loss up to £250.

Hope to see you trading with us soon.

Best, Rob.

If I trade with you can I arrange for all my trades to go straight to market? A dealer being in the way is not an option for me because all they do is mess up my execution as I need fast execution, my method depends on it.
Also have you ever closed an account holder who consistantly make profits?
How do you deal with these clients?
Do you requote price on some trades or is it fill at whatever price?
Do you have slippage control?

Also have you ever closed an account holder who consistantly make profits?

Not that I expect to ever reach the dizzy heights, but have often wondered what would happen to a trader that regularly won substantial sums from a broker.

There are lots of conflicting stories floating around.