Eminis PnF

Re: PnF Charting

Trader333 said:
Hi All,

Does no-one have an automatic point and figure charting option ? or am I being nieve ?

Paul

Many of them do, although they come in all sorts of shapes and colours!

The main problem with computer generated ones is that they will only hold so much 'tick' data, rather than daily data, so as your chrt progresses, you lose the historic data - so I prefer to run PnF charts on excel then they don't get lost - unless I trash the machine and have no back-up (been there done that)

P&F Real Time update

Indexia is what I use, P&F 1min. very accurate from Tenfore Satellite RT feed. Wouldn't be without it. The same developer has initiated Updata TA, but it's **** at the moment for 1 min. RT feeds.

Re: emini P&F

oatman said:
TBS
Hello mate, what box and reversal are you using please?

That particular chart is 1 point per box, 2 box reversals, judging by the amount of effort it takes to construct the chart and the amount of space it takes up, it is probably a bit too close to the price action and probably needs a bit more optimisation, as I said, I would expect that amount of space to contain a complete FTSE futures contract, rather than 15 days or so of data.

Yes, you've got to loosen it a bit . You are right on the price. It's too sensitive. If you're looking for breaks try a 3X3hilo.
I use 2.5 and 3 x3 on Ftse Future. Experiment to cut the whips down.

The other post about time frames...no problem. The feed will give you from 1min. to daily close P&F if you want. Get some good software, it's worth it for accurate data and charts. Pay up a bit, the tools of your trade are a reliable RT price feed and accurate history.

oatman said:
Yes, you've got to loosen it a bit . You are right on the price. It's too sensitive. If you're looking for breaks try a 3X3hilo.
I use 2.5 and 3 x3 on Ftse Future. Experiment to cut the whips down.

The other post about time frames...no problem. The feed will give you from 1min. to daily close P&F if you want. Get some good software, it's worth it for accurate data and charts. Pay up a bit, the tools of your trade are a reliable RT price feed and accurate history.

I'll leave it to JT :cool:

I used to have a reuters terminal on my desk, but the tick data became inaccurate when they overloaded the satellite system, so I chucked it out, quite happy with FSxtra at the moment, it does what I need it to do, now that I am more than happy with my systems (in general) I tend to do less and less work with historical data.

If you need historical data, this site is quite useful

http://www.traders2traders.com

Agreed, I work off 1min. If things crash, I can have working patterns again in a couple of hours. It's still good to look at a bit of history now and again to see what the "fools" are doing. Mind you, they're always long!
Good luck, happy trading,

Automatic programme for PnF

If anyone is looking for what is (IMO) a very good package for producing PnF from OHLC data you should have a look at a package called Bulls Eye Broker (or something similar, I could look it up if people are really interested).

It is meant to be EoD only but allows you to (well actually you have to) import data so you could import 1min data with the dates changed so as to be consecutive days.

It doesn't include any kind of feed so is clearly only good for historical testing but then I understand lots of feeds will do short term PnF so the real problem is getting access to the historical stuff.

Once the data is in it is dead easy to vary the box size and reversal and print yourself off loads of charts (although it won't test strategies for you). Not amazingly versatile but only about £30 as a one off payment or something like that so ok to play with (as opposed to a proper back testing package for which I think you'd need something like tradestation) and much less tedious than producing it by hand.

wysi