Email client

rossored

2,103 56
Cany anyone recommend a good, decent alternative to either Outlook/Outlook Express or Netscape Mail?

I'm fed up with OE falling over half the time, and I dont like Outlook full stop - same with Netscape.

Any ideas?

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,394 1,170
How about a web-based alternative such as Yahoo or Hotmail?

Don't like them myself, but then I'm not having problems with OE.

RR - how is your OE falling over? I'm running half-a-dozen email accounts across 2 separate ISP accounts with it and don't have any problems.

Fish

79 3
As a browser, I use Mozilla Firefox, which is terrific, and have pretty much stopped using Internet Explorer.
http://texturizer.net/firefox/index.html.
The Mozilla email client is called Thunderbird, which I haven't tried, but might be worth a look. Try here. http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/
However, I am wary of anything except Outlook, because the MS ActiveSync links into PDA's quite well. I think other clients may not sync up so well. Plus when I looked at IncrediMail, there was no way of exporting all the data back out if you didn't like it. That could be a major disadvantage.

rossored

2,103 56
Thanks guys.

Bramble - no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall it, I keep getting silly errors like "the default mail client is not properly installed" when i click on email links. Then it appears to cure itself for a few days, before coming back again. Sometimes it just locks up on me and falls over for no reason other than me checking for mail. Like you, I've about a dozen accounts for both personal and business reasons and its generally fine - just these little things are annoying me.

Before anyone says it....:cool: my machine has no viruses or spyware on it. So I dont know what the problem is, but I just wondered if people knew of a decent alternative : I'll give your suggestions a look at, thanks

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,394 1,170
RR - my wife had the same problems with her machine at work and after installing ALL the latest service packs (not just for OE), but for IE, XP etc - it went away.

These little irritations take on an intensity out of all proportion to their impact.

One other thing while we're discussing email clients etc. I use Mail Magic Monitor. Can't recommend it highly enough. Lets you know when you've got mail in any of your accounts and even gives a limited ability to view them prior to download. Even more useful, the ability to delete them before download!!!

Very easy to configure and it's free.

http://www.geeba.org/magic/

oatman

2,879 22
Rosso, have you tried a Google on it? There's quite a bit on OE freezing and errors etc.

rossored

2,103 56
No need!

Happened to look at Internet Options --> Programs.

Some glitch has removed ALL my default programs from there - every field was blank. Replaced them with the required fields, and all is now OK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock