Download.trojan virus

breadman

Established member
I have a virus called download.trojan which my Norton Security is unable to remove. Here is what Norton says I have to do to get rid of it.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Restart the computer in Safe mode (Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP) or VGA mode (Windows NT).
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Download.Trojan.
Clear Internet Explorer History and files, if needed.

I have windows 98 so I have to restart my computer in safe mode and run a scan, how do I restart the computer in safe mode and then after the scan change it back.

Thanks

Breadman

Starting in safe mode

Hi Breadman,

Using Google I found the following Microsoft article:

"Method 1
1. Restart your computer.
2. While your computer restarts, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
NOTE: If you are using the EZDrive tool, press F8 instead of CTRL.
3. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER. "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180902/EN-US/

Hope this helps.

Will

wsimmonds said:
Hi Breadman,

Using Google I found the following Microsoft article:

"Method 1
1. Restart your computer.
2. While your computer restarts, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
NOTE: If you are using the EZDrive tool, press F8 instead of CTRL.
3. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER. "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180902/EN-US/

Hope this helps.

Will

I now know how to start in safe mode but how do I get it back to normal after I have got rid of the virus. Next time I start the computer does it just go back to normal.

Thanks,

Breadman

Yeah, I think it should do if I can remember correctly from when I had Windows 98.

Otherwise, if you follow the instructions again and hold down the CTRL key - the menu which that causes to come up should have an option along the lines of "start normally" (as well as "start in safe mode" which you'll be using first time)

Give it a go, let me know if you have any problems and I'll see if I can figure out more for you. Searching on Google is probably your best bet for further info (my memory of Windows 98 is a bit hazy!).

Will

I have a virus called download.trojan which my Norton Security is unable to remove. Here is what Norton says I have to do to get rid of it.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Restart the computer in Safe mode (Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP) or VGA mode (Windows NT).
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Download.Trojan.
Clear Internet Explorer History and files, if needed.

I have windows 98 so I have to restart my computer in safe mode and run a scan, how do I restart the computer in safe mode and then after the scan change it back.

Thanks

Breadman

Breadman i had the same problem but my trojan kept copying itsself and placing the copis in different directories

this is how i got rid of it i restarted in safemode (so when you turn your pc on you spam f8 and a dialog page will apear saying run in safe mode press enter and it will open in safe mode now if you know what and where the file is located find it and right click it then go to properties and go to permisions then untick al of them that it has allowed its self to have then once you have done that then restart again but normaly this time and the trojan is unable to affect anything because it has no permission on your pc so then go to microoft and download microsoft essentials and that will help your from there. good luck ;)