Beware another worm loose on web !!!

Folks,
Maybe i'm missing something here but here's my pennies worth....

If you are on the computer alot of the time, logged on to the net, downloading the odd program/file/email or two from God knows where and/or who can't keep his fingers out of Windows explorer ( of which I qualify for all of the above), whether you've personally caused it or not, at some point something is going to go t*ts up :rolleyes:

If you haven't already, get yourself a cheap and nasty CD Re-Writer, a box of 10 Re-Writable CD's, giving you approx 7 GIG capacity and copy all the important stuff i.e. programs, updates, word docs, excel files, drivers, charting program files and what ever else you deem important. Once you've done that, every weekend, update the Re-Writables with whats changed over the week which takes about 10 minutes and 'Bobs ya bloody uncle!'

Once you've got all your data backed up, when the "It'll never happen to me!" happens to you, format your hard drive, give yourself a fresh re-install of your favorite o/s, put all your programs and files back on and you're back in business.

I know formatting and re-installing your o/s takes time but half a day should have it sorted.

How many of you who have problems with your PC for one reason or another suffer it for days.....? weeks ......? months..... ?

Get it sorted !!!

Back-up your system, nuke it and re-install !!!

You know it makes sense......

It's easier to image using Ghost or Drive Image.

The restoration is one hell of a lot quicker.

JonnyT

I agree. Ghost the system to an image file on multiple CD's on a CDRW. You can reload your whole system by booting off of the CD's. OK so you've got a few out of date bits, but it wont take you 3 days to reload all your software.

hi guys
I have run the welchi, sobig.f and msblaster removal tools from symantec in safe mode with system restore and zonelabs firewall turned off. I have then run the stinger virus checker which came back clean, then the panda online scan which came back clean, then the avast4 which came back clean, then the avg - which came back clean. I too have 2 av packages installed - avast and avg but only have one running at once-avg. I then ran the ravantvirus.com online scam and that detected the blaster worm.

so have run the msblaster removal tool again in the same way. so it just goes to show the different effectiveness of the various antivirus packages. i'm thinking of changing over to the ravantvirus.com package.

bbmac