Dow - Which Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
don_h said:
Hi Bid

I have now successfully recreated your system apart from the long signal on 23/01/06 which isn't called until 26/03/06 all the others are accurately shown now on my chart
even the long signal of 3/03/06 shown failing then coming good on 3/01/06 ;)
The rate of change indicator may be useful to avoid these false signals and allowing closer stops
my next efforts will be to work out the best stop level which i will post for you

well done Bid A-Tool

Don

:cool:

Oh give me strength! This has to be a wind up.

Why are we all hailing Bid-A-Tool as the next Livermore? Why are we all so desperate to find a universal indicator that miraculously works without needing any effort or hard earned knowledge? He has called one correct signal and all we do is feed his already swollen self image. I am eager to see how any meaningful stops can be applied to system which swings around in 100's of points between signals. I note that Bid-A-Tool at least climbed down from 'the doubling up' strategy.

This magic indicator is bit like Monty Python's "world's funniest joke" sketch where the irony is that the joke cannot be told because it's so funny it would kill whoever heard it.

C'mon guys let's get real!!

"A Bid-A-Tool and his money are soon parted."

rols said:
Oh give me strength! This has to be a wind up.

Why are we all hailing Bid-A-Tool as the next Livermore? Why are we all so desperate to find a universal indicator that miraculously works without needing any effort or hard earned knowledge? He has called one correct signal and all we do is feed his already swollen self image. I am eager to see how any meaningful stops can be applied to system which swings around in 100's of points between signals. I note that Bid-A-Tool at least climbed down from 'the doubling up' strategy.

This magic indicator is bit like Monty Python's "world's funniest joke" sketch where the irony is that the joke cannot be told because it's so funny it would kill whoever heard it.

C'mon guys let's get real!!

"A Bid-A-Tool and his money are soon parted."

rols dont get your knickers in a twist old son chill a bit :)
this system (well my Frankensteins creation of it :cheesy: ) back tests fine to the end of 2003 now I will forward test it on a demo account (no cash lost there then) if it fails miserably it will be in public and for all to see as well as bids original if he bothers to carry on posting due to all the **** taking :rolleyes:
yes agreed the doubling up bit was a bit strange :LOL:
if you dont like newbie traders trying to have a go there's always the Dow 2006 thread go give them some stick for their strange calls on the Dow:LOL:

cheers

Don

Bid A-Tool said:
Some of the trades can last 14 days depending on how the DOW is feeling. You know what it's like. You have to be a little patient sometimes. The profit would be in between each signal.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. Some days, you just need an indicator IN BETWEEN the indicator that keeps giving you losses.

And when you find THAT one, guess what, you need to start looking for the OTHER one BETWEEN those signals that WOULD HAVE got you out at a profit.

Been trading long?

don_h said:
rols dont get your knickers in a twist old son chill a bit :)
this system (well my Frankensteins creation of it :cheesy: ) back tests fine to the end of 2003 now I will forward test it on a demo account (no cash lost there then) if it fails miserably it will be in public and for all to see as well as bids original if he bothers to carry on posting due to all the **** taking :rolleyes:
yes agreed the doubling up bit was a bit strange :LOL:
if you dont like newbie traders trying to have a go there's always the Dow 2006 thread go give them some stick for their strange calls on the Dow:LOL:

cheers

Don

Hi Don

My knickers are only marginally twisted. It was a desperate attempt to get some serious debate going...

I fear this thread wil soon be visiting a clinic in Switzerland. It's the kindest way.

Before I bid farewell take a look at where a young person's dabbling with secret indicators could lead in later life....

http://www.mcgraths.org/senior_youth/images/steve.jpg

rols said:
Hi Don

My knickers are only marginally twisted. It was a desperate attempt to get some serious debate going...

I fear this thread wil soon be visiting a clinic in Switzerland. It's the kindest way.

Before I bid farewell take a look at where a young person's dabbling with secret indicators could lead in later life....

http://www.mcgraths.org/senior_youth/images/steve.jpg

Well Rols.......you keep coming back for more. May I ask if you have a system and do you make money with it? or is this just an attitude of "I have seen too many systems and spent too much money on them".

Maybe you are here on these boards because you don't have a system and are trying to find one.

Oh and don't worry......I am used to "knocks" I get them each and every day. Criticism is good for you because you can turn it round to your advantage and improve things.

Bid A-Tool said:
You know what it's like. You have to be a little patient sometimes. The profit would be in between each signal.
Do you have an indicator which 'knows' ahead of time precisely where the 'in between' bit of each signal is? Especially as the run time for each trade seems variable.

If not, I can probably match your set of indicators with my set of (discarded) indicators and have quite a few left over. These are the ones that give you signals where the profit was somewhere else. :LOL:

TheBramble said:
Do you have an indicator which 'knows' ahead of time precisely where the 'in between' bit of each signal is? Especially as the run time for each trade seems variable.

If not, I can probably match your set of indicators with my set of (discarded) indicators and have quite a few left over. These are the ones that give you signals where the profit was somewhere else. :LOL:

Now that would be the "icing" on the cake. No I am unable to predict the amount of the move. If I went Long then you would close the position on the next signal which would be a "short" signal. The profit would be in between if you know what I mean.

I'm afraid I do.

Perhaps I'm still muddled from my sleep, but it seems in this thread of yours, you've made just one call for the DOW to go long 'at some point'. Subsequent to that, it went lower and you doubled up your losing position (averaging down). Eventually, it went in your direction. Is this harsh or do you consider this an accurate description of events?

The thing is, anyone can make a call that instrument X is going to go up/down/sideways at some point - and they're always going to be right.

The trick is knowing precisely WHEN. And when to get out. This isn't 'icing on the cake' as you put it - this is precisely what consistently successful trading is ALL about.

AFAICS you haven't quite cracked that part yet. Martingale is not a sensible strategy BTW.

Good luck.

CLOSE previous Long position. DOW now 11,384
311 point profit from the Long called at 11,073 a few days ago.

The indicators have indicated a "short" although the DOW is up 40 points a the moment (3:00pm). Would have to wait until the end of day though to confirm. I suspect a mild pull back is coming but that is just my opinion. I don't think it would be profitable to trade a "short" on this as I think we are in a possible Mid term uptrend. Best to wait for the next Long signal.

Bid A-Tool

Bid A-Tool said:
CLOSE previous Long position. DOW now 11,384
311 point profit from the Long called at 11,073 a few days ago.

The indicators have indicated a "short" although the DOW is up 40 points a the moment (3:00pm). Would have to wait until the end of day though to confirm. I suspect a mild pull back is coming but that is just my opinion. I don't think it would be profitable to trade a "short" on this as I think we are in a possible Mid term uptrend. Best to wait for the next Long signal.

Bid A-Tool

FWIW I too think it's running out of steam. I'm looking for more sell trades than buy ones now until it has regrouped and retraced a bit. Then I think we will see another positive move forward.

JillyB said:
FWIW I too think it's running out of steam. I'm looking for more sell trades than buy ones now until it has regrouped and retraced a bit. Then I think we will see another positive move forward.

Jill.

Please be careful Shorting this market at the moment. The DOW doesn't like giving up big pushes easily.

Bid A-Tool

Bid A-Tool said:
Jill.

Please be careful Shorting this market at the moment. The DOW doesn't like giving up big pushes easily.

Bid A-Tool

I trade intraday and very, very rarely hold positions over-night. (It doesn't do my sleep pattern any good.) So my shorts will be only through the day, though I'm favouring them over longs at the moment. I suppose that's what I'm trying to say. :D

JillyB said:
I trade intraday and very, very rarely hold positions over-night. (It doesn't do my sleep pattern any good.) So my shorts will be only through the day, though I'm favouring them over longs at the moment. I suppose that's what I'm trying to say. :D

Sorry Jill. I thought you were"swing trading". It personally does my head in all day watching the DOW. Don't have the time either. I will keep a position for days normally and only trade near the end of the day. How do you get on Day Trading?

The system of Frankenstein

Hi all
Frankie hasn't given a sell signal yet. (hope this is not the end of it before its started :LOL: )
I will post short trade as soon as its given by the unholy beast could be a few days yet by the look of it, shame it wont trade well intraday yet :rolleyes:

"will oil or stocks blink first?" thats the all important question

rols like the picture, oh and i hope the clinic in Switzerland isn't run by nurse Ratched

cheers

Don

Bid A-Tool said:
Sorry Jill. I thought you were"swing trading". It personally does my head in all day watching the DOW. Don't have the time either. I will keep a position for days normally and only trade near the end of the day. How do you get on Day Trading?

It suits me. I have a tendency to fret on a trade if I hold it overnight, wondering what will have happened to it. My trades generally last from minutes to a couple of hours and that suits me just fine.

Having a closed account when I switch off my computer and knowing the same balance will be there when I switch it back on again in the morning is a great comfort to me.

It's each to their own. Others, possibly like yourself, don't want to be sat in front of the computer all day and are happy to let a trade run. While some, like myself, like to be in and out of the trade and secure our profit (hopefully).

JillyB said:
It suits me. I have a tendency to fret on a trade if I hold it overnight, wondering what will have happened to it. My trades generally last from minutes to a couple of hours and that suits me just fine.

Having a closed account when I switch off my computer and knowing the same balance will be there when I switch it back on again in the morning is a great comfort to me.

It's each to their own. Others, possibly like yourself, don't want to be sat in front of the computer all day and are happy to let a trade run. While some, like myself, like to be in and out of the trade and secure our profit (hopefully).

Well you will be glad to know you can use these indicators to DAY trade minute by minute. I use them on a 3 month graph personally. I only trade near the close. No you don't get perfect entry points every time but it doesn't matter because, one day you will enter good and another not so good. When you close a position, one day you will enter good and another not so good. I don't get flustered about it.

DATE: 21 April 2006 8:30pm

At the close of trading today, the indicators have confirmed a reversal (Fall - GO SHORT) is on it's way. The Dow, NASDAQ 100, S&P 500, NYSE Comp, NASDAQ Comp, AMEX Comp, Russell 1000, Russell 2000 & Russell 3000 all show the SAME signal.

How long it's duration or strength or how many points it will fall, I am unable to say.

Bid A-Tool

JUST TO ADD now at 9:05pm. The indicators have changed to what I call a "flat spot" This means we are at some kind of high level and may drift here for a few days more. I don't think it will give up this level easily.

Last edited:
Sorry Jilly and Don but I'm here just like someone slowing the car to look at the scence of an accident.

How can we trust someone keeping all his cards close to his chest as Sir Bid a tool. How can we test the indicators that do not exist as we speak (until BAT can show us otherwise).

And BAT told us that we need to have deep pockets to use his SYSTEM. If I had a billion I could trade any system and win. I could have just held all my shares since 2000. The FTSE is climbing back to its 2000 height, is it not?

BAT, please get a life!

Good weekend to all!

H

hungvir said:
Sorry Jilly and Don but I'm here just like someone slowing the car to look at the scence of an accident.

How can we trust someone keeping all his cards close to his chest as Sir Bid a tool. How can we test the indicators that do not exist as we speak (until BAT can show us otherwise).

And BAT told us that we need to have deep pockets to use his SYSTEM. If I had a billion I could trade any system and win. I could have just held all my shares since 2000. The FTSE is climbing back to its 2000 height, is it not?

BAT, please get a life!

Good weekend to all!

H

NO you don't need "deep pockets" for this system. Just a little patience, I think that is the problem with many traders out there. They expect trades to go their way instead of going with the flow.

I am not asking anyone to risk their own cash on these signals. In fact I don't want you to. Use the simulator if you want to test them. The idea is to get a few selected ones on board to road test it as well. Those that are interested. By all your comments it is becoming easier to do so. Traders personalities are being manifested. This is important. This is my tread. Some don't like it and some maybe do. You can't please everyone.

Bid A-Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.