Dow Intraday Charts 29 Aug - 02Sept

Friday 3rd September 2004

10:03 Prices coming down to 100 ema after ISM figures. O/S but follows multiple ND on the peaks (including yesterday). Difficult here to gauge likely direction off 100 ema. RSI/price ratio suggests this is a reasonably strong down move. NQ weak and failed to close gap earlier. Didn't take first bounce of 100 ema, which immediately looks like a bad decision but I feel it may jiggle a bit here.

10:17 TRADE ENTRY: Long 10285 on second bounce off 100 ema with single PD on RSI. Pulled up but didn't take out previous swing high and now appears to be forming a bear flag. Breaks to downside and into loss. Then back to top of congestion channel (3rd touch) but unable to break through at first attempt. Then breaks up but no real volume on ES. Sticks at 10300 level and drops again. Needs to take this out convincingly for long to have any mileage. Tries again without success. And down it comes straight into loss. New lows on NQ and long looks dead to me. Came to within a couple of ticks of being stopped on first few attempts down but then pulled back up on PD. Needs to get back above 100 ema though buy instead just seems to be bouncing off and back down again. It all says short, but the downside action is not really convincing. I guess this could be a large bull flag/triangle (seen better on the 10 minute chart). Will probably be stopped out before it breaks up though.

11:40 OK, third touch on upper channel of possible triangle and peeps over but RSI now O/B and CCI right at zero line so another down move seems inevitable. Ran along upper edge for a while then appears to break up but no volume. I calculate T1 would be around 10338. No upside movement though and potential H/S to downside. Could just be reloading RSI for next move up but this action is making me very nervous. Back below 100 ema and trade into loss again. The slowly crawls up towards 300 but getting v.heavily O/B. Never got there.

12:39 Breaks back down having failed to reach 10300 and quickly into loss. Not really sure what's happening here and not liking it as it falls below the 100 ema again. Runs sideways forming bear flag and then breaks down. This is going to be a slow death as it drifts down again.

13:44 Still going nowhere but failure to take 10290 to upside sends it down again.

14:16 Breaks to upside after completely flat then straight back down and into loss. That could be that. Fake out.

14:25 Dropping like a stone. Then back up. Oh what a crazy crazy frustrating day. Faking the fake outs. And down again. This time I'm done for.

14:46 New LOD just above stop but this is dead now if 64 fails to hold.

15:05 ES pulls back up to its 100 ema. The Dow hits 100 ema. Needs to keep going up up up. Stalls at 280 - earlier support. Potential reversal back down off CCI zero line. And down it comes back below 100 ema. Bull flag or chance to enter short?? Tries another push up but stalls again at 80 (or 81). And after over 5 hours my trade is back at entry with just over thirty minutes of the week to go. Next test 90 but heavily O/B now.

15:27 Pokes over 90 but stops quickly. Perhaps a retrace and final push to 300 or even HOD (now I'm really getting carried away). No, it's falling rather than consolidating. Back below 90 and picking up speed. Ugh. No sign of another move up. Odd. Time running out so looks like it's now or never for the upside. And it keeps coming down. That is truly horrible.

15:46 NQ and ES have one last attempt up but no follow through on Dow or YM and then it comes down even more.

TRADE EXIT: At close. -18.

-18 for day from 1

+2 for September so far

What a miserable way to end my first three days back from holiday. Shouldn't have bothered.

Attachments

• 20040903.jpg
    20040903.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 167
So, a channel top it was. I don't see any ND yet TS... :cheesy:
I guess I should have done the comp at 264...

Attachments

• dow 03-09-04 10.gif
    dow 03-09-04 10.gif
    40.4 KB · Views: 169
TraderTony You have the line on your RSI that should have got you out for a tiny profit or loss- it's the RS Switch that indicates weakness and a drop....
Nasty day. Got a few off the open short, then got even less off the 285 long, same as TT. I got out after the 290 to 300 run failed at the H&S. Then left it alone.

Next thread will start up Tuesday, until then tack on the end of this one. Over 3000 reads this week. Nice one.! Nice to see new people posting up their day's efforts. Warts n all.The more we see, the more we'll all learn.

Attachments

• dow 03-09-04 1.gif
    dow 03-09-04 1.gif
    29 KB · Views: 172
Good thread as always CM....
I always take time out to read it... Its been good watching people make the calls on sup/rest targets. Personally I'm a fan of geometry to work out prices but if standard deviation work for some then :cool:

Over 3k hits...carn't be bad :))

I like geometry, but your type needs a rocket scientist's brain to understand it :(
How about some basic basics?

Prefer applied math and quantum physics myself

If I eat 2 curries after 4 pint what would be the atomic mass of the resultant CH4 and how would latent heat effect the vapourisation

Don't know the answer to that question DC......but u would certainly get the bed to yourself ;)

justyn said:
Sorry for the daft question .... is that the equivalent of a bank holiday in the States and does that mean the Dow won't be open until Tues?

Yes, all the US markets are closed on Monday 6 September.

The next 'bank holiday' in the US is Thursday 25 November 2004 when the markets are closed for Thanksgiving.

03/09/2004

I thought Friday was a very frustrating day. I'd carried 8 positions (short) from the last couple of days and despite overnight futures going down, (Intel etc.) the market went up early on. Didn't think the economic figures were that good, so was looking for a down day.:(
Market looked to be topping at around 10300 to 10320 so put more short positions. Closed these later for +10,+14,+21,+35 Dow points. Really should have not been greedy when we first hit 10260. If only I'd closed these last 4 positions for the same profit and repeated the trade! Should have realised that the down turn didn't have much momentum and quickly became oversold.
Spent the rest of the day kicking myself and chatting in the room ... brilliant.

Summary for the week.
700 Dow points profit taken.
550 Dow points remain underwater in 7 IB and 7 spread bets.

The EWavers are predicting a down turn from now. Of course, it will be possible to retest the highs at 10320 and even hit the upper channel line at 10350. I can even see an a=c projection to around 10400. Nevertheless, I'm happy staying with a basic short position and trading around that.

Tomorrow's another day, even if the US markets are shut :)