Dow 2007

We are still on for a close at the 66% retracement (690).

I'm assuming that was a cash price.
Not a bad call! In fact, compared to what we've seen here last couple of weeks, I'd have to call this a mighty fabulous amazing well timed call ;)

:cool:

Duff Man, never leaves overnights!

:)

It's all about risk:reward :)

I just can't be bothered by how the market moves overnight: most of the time pretty dull...(with the obvious exception of news)

In most cases the range traveled overnight is already covered in the first hour after the open. So why leave a position on whole night unsupervised if you can take as many points in 1 hour?

No disrespect to position or overnight holders, it's just not my game.

Let's put it this way. I am happy with the points I make intraday. I don't see a reason why I would want to risk more than normal and lose the possibility of managing the exit whilst I am asleep.

Everybody's free to do whatever they like ofcourse... But whilst others are in a position that might be affected by unknown factors (the market may gap open each way), I'll be off enjoying the profits of the day in the pub :)

Hmm thought you held over one day last week?
the flip side to your post of course is one can set conditional orders running stops etc and leave all emotion out of the equation

Hmm thought you held over one day last week?
the flip side to your post of course is one can set conditional orders running stops etc and leave all emotion out of the equation

Yes, only on QQQQ, SPY or DIA, not the futures as I said before.

You're right about the flip side though. I switch to OCA orders after my first target is hit and on occasion I walk away to come back near the close. It's not a guarantee on profit, but it is a guarantee that you will not exit too early in a trending day. And let's face it, you only need a couple of those runners...

Yes, only on QQQQ, SPY or DIA, not the futures as I said before.

You're right about the flip side though. I switch to OCA orders after my first target is hit and on occasion I walk away to come back near the close. It's not a guarantee on profit, but it is a guarantee that you will not exit too early in a trending day. And let's face it, you only need a couple of those runners...

Why do you use spiders and diamonds rather than ES and YM? Am I missing something obvious? Can you trade those during the night (I'm guessing not).

Why do you use spiders and diamonds rather than ES and YM? Am I missing something obvious? Can you trade those during the night (I'm guessing not).

Lurker, sometimes I do position trades with smaller stakes on ETF's. I've already explained this in an earlier post. The size compared to futures is really small stakes.

Praise from DC last week and praise (albeit with tongue in cheek) from Firewalker today, I feel honoured.
Lurker, thanks for the concern but I didn't lose money as I didn't trade at that time. I was waiting for the second touch of 740 (always cash) before entering, then when it shot through I kept out.
As I can't watch the screen all day I trade very irregularly and do keep positions overnight.

the smart money always does

right, as does the smart money trade without stops :rolleyes:
whatever floats your boat

the same people usually believe that dumb money trades in the first hour, and smart money in the last

anyway, I'll gladly be the dumb money any day, it seems to give me plenty of points :)

Top in - no bottom in - no
but paint is drying nicely though

For those who claim that they know what the smart money does, it's surprising to see them try to call tops & bottoms. Especially since we are already 100 points higher than Friday. I wonder how kenobi's head & shoulder break is doing. Indeed, Paul71, it's all an illusion :)

As counter_violent said, yesterday was a complete no-brainer
Why the smart money would want to commit to a waiting game instead of go for longs after the obvious breakout beats me though.

Last edited:
Despite general banter to the downside I am now long awaiting a 380 close today!

On that basis I suggest everyone else goes short. ;)

Despite general banter to the downside I am now long awaiting a 380 close today!

On that basis I suggest everyone else goes short. ;)

As you can see I can't even post correectly let alone trade correctly - I meant 13880 close.

DOW bouncing off yesterday's close .... which way now ..
I had the notion to buy the rumour and sell the news today but the DOW has not come off much so far .. unlike the FTSE in which I am now long .. but it's looking weak

right, as does the smart money trade without stops :rolleyes:
whatever floats your boat

the same people usually believe that dumb money trades in the first hour, and smart money in the last

anyway, I'll gladly be the dumb money any day, it seems to give me plenty of points :)

For those who claim that they know what the smart money does, it's surprising to see them try to call tops & bottoms. Especially since we are already 100 points higher than Friday. I wonder how kenobi's head & shoulder break is doing. Indeed, Paul71, it's all an illusion :)

As counter_violent said, yesterday was a complete no-brainer
Why the smart money would want to commit to a waiting game instead of go for longs after the obvious breakout beats me though.

clearly you need to learn more about the markets you are trading, I suggest you spend your time learning rather than throwing insults and taking posts out of context, the post you quote refered to Fridays intraday cash prices so far at the time of the post.

I take it as a compliment you thought I was refering to myself when I said smart money or is it you have taken CVs post and adapted it to suit your position

as for smart money and stop orders perhapse you could give an example one you have seen on the order book?
Hows your ETFs by the way still trading them out of hours

clearly you need to learn more about the markets you are trading, I suggest you spend your time learning rather than throwing insults and taking posts out of context, the post you quote refered to Fridays intraday cash prices so far at the time of the post.
I'm learning each day. I'm just testing a new strategy: go short whenever you go long and go long whenever you go short. So far it's working out perfectly :LOL:

On my charts yesterday's high on the cash was about 90-100 points higher than Friday's high on the cash. I don't see why anybody should feel insulted, I'm just observing.

I take it as a compliment you thought I was refering to myself when I said smart money or is it you have taken CVs post and adapted it to suit your position
cv - like me - has a history of going against the flow of the majority of this thread. Nothing to "adopt" really, I guess we are reality traders instead of wishful thinking traders.

as for smart money and stop orders perhapse you could give an example one you have seen on the order book?
Hows your ETFs by the way still trading them out of hours

I do find it peculiar you are suddenly very interested in what kind of instruments I'm trading. Are you looking for guidance perhaps? :LOL: Let me give you a clue: follow the trend (see Dinos' post).