Dow 2007

Not my week at all FW. Why all the longs here? I caught a falling knife earlier today - it seems I am not alone. As I said in my earlier post, the trend will be down. I wasn't too sure about a gap fill, but I stated I would like to sell the open and hold until the PDH anyway - I just couldn't pull the trigger. 200 points lower...

As for being an analyst instead of a trader...perhaps I would be better at it, but it doesn't interest me!

HS - sorry, you seemed to have picked me up wrong (or I've made stupid posts). I don't have that sort of insight. The insight I am talking about is the insight any good trader here has - knowing enough about the likelihood of the short term market direction. My problem is I cannot pull the trigger on it. I am wrong a lot of the time as well, but I've made some good live calls in here from time to time, regarding figure releases and turning points, and seem to be pretty accurate. It is unfortunate that I do not have the guts to properly follow through a lot of the time.

I think it could be something to do with my trading plan and testing, but I'll come back to that in due course. For now, I'm calling my third losing week in a row, and limiting my losses by placing no further trades. I'll get back to this sooner rather than later, but I need a break from the losses. When you are in a hole, quit digging. I now have less trading equity than I did 4 weeks ago. Not good. I can't see a trade in my future for 2 or 3 weeks at least.

Hiya

Not my week at all FW. Why all the longs here? I caught a falling knife earlier today - it seems I am not alone. As I said in my earlier post, the trend will be down. I wasn't too sure about a gap fill, but I stated I would like to sell the open and hold until the PDH anyway - I just couldn't pull the trigger. 200 points lower...

As for being an analyst instead of a trader...perhaps I would be better at it, but it doesn't interest me!

HS - sorry, you seemed to have picked me up wrong (or I've made stupid posts). I don't have that sort of insight. The insight I am talking about is the insight any good trader here has - knowing enough about the likelihood of the short term market direction. My problem is I cannot pull the trigger on it. I am wrong a lot of the time as well, but I've made some good live calls in here from time to time, regarding figure releases and turning points, and seem to be pretty accurate. It is unfortunate that I do not have the guts to properly follow through a lot of the time.

I think it could be something to do with my trading plan and testing, but I'll come back to that in due course. For now, I'm calling my third losing week in a row, and limiting my losses by placing no further trades. I'll get back to this sooner rather than later, but I need a break from the losses. When you are in a hole, quit digging. I now have less trading equity than I did 4 weeks ago. Not good. I can't see a trade in my future for 2 or 3 weeks at least.

I think I understood your message .... I just couldn't miss the opportunity for a bit of juvenile (harmless) fun ........... Your comment about knowing which way the market was going was my ideal "entry" - although I was taking you out of context ...
Forgive me.....

As 4 trading you'll have better days and weeks to come shortly just you wait and see..:D

Hs

Cheers Steve

Apple and rimm are NOW on the watchlist ... :cheesy:

I don't like this bounce but Dax won't die...... :rolleyes:

AAPL and RIMM just wont give it up....Dow needs to get back above 850 otherwise something has to give and 720 cash is possibility....if APPL and RIMM can oblige...:LOL:

AAPL and RIMM just wont give it up....Dow needs to get back above 850 otherwise something has to give and 720 cash is possibility....if APPL and RIMM can oblige...:LOL:

Hi guys,

I went long in the morning around 9:43. Closed pos at 12:56 for +19. Didn't want to hang around for the news.

Went short at 16:41 prior to leaving work at 5 and closed at 19:10 @ 13812 for +121. Net total for the day +140.

Since August the 15 my returns have been quite phenomenal. I am even more impressed with my self (if I may :eek: ) for scalping from long bets. This may sound strange to some of you but it's like therapy to me. It's like somebody who is afraid of spiders coming to 1 feet proximity of them. :LOL: I'm very chuffed with my self indeed.

I thought it might bounce from 13800 based on this chart but when it went below I thought I'll just watch it. TA says it should bounce and it did. However, I thought I enjoy may gains and let it be for the day.

Attachments

• US30-071017.doc
    116.5 KB · Views: 187
I'm happy for you ....

Hi guys,

I went long in the morning around 9:43. Closed pos at 12:56 for +19. Didn't want to hang around for the news.

Went short at 16:41 prior to leaving work at 5 and closed at 19:10 @ 13812 for +121. Net total for the day +140.

Since August the 15 my returns have been quite phenomenal. I am even more impressed with my self (if I may :eek: ) for scalping from long bets. This may sound strange to some of you but it's like therapy to me. It's like somebody who is afraid of spiders coming to 1 feet proximity of them. :LOL: I'm very chuffed with my self indeed.

Congrats, I know what it feels like to go through that "tunnel" ! See my new thread life is great I think it's called....:cheesy:

Looks like we have regained the summer uptrend (only just..for now) - as all the "stars" were aligned uncanny...!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain pugwash in charge of an ocean liner - someone said of Steve McLaren :LOL: :LOL:
How cruel can you get ........?

Hi guys,

I thought it might bounce from 13800 based on this chart but when it went below I thought I'll just watch it. TA says it should bounce and it did. However, I thought I enjoy may gains and let it be for the day.

brilliant! I am tempted to request: post your trades live on the thread .. but I'd advise not to .. sure to attract the dreaded curse of posting live trades :eek: .. it's out there :devilish:

brilliant! I am tempted to request: post your trades live on the thread .. but I'd advise not to .. sure to attract the dreaded curse of posting live trades :eek: .. it's out there :devilish:

I used to when not working but at work now I only look at the screens for all of 2 minutes if that. I merely glance and based on MA, MACD, Stochastics make a quick judgement call and thats it. No stops for shorts - click and go...

Perhaps it's just the last week or so since the DOW has been falling in the afternoons and it's become a bit of a habit. I'll try and remember tomorrow.

Pat you have neglected your thread again, as he been washed ooverboard again or what :?:

EOD, TA no news bias becaus can"t be bothered reading it , having rest. :cool:

well been a bit busy (connection and looking into broker) so not posted, no funnies tonight very :|

Lurker, all best hope you turn corner quick mate.

Dow making classic pull back, no flap yet, stop reading the news lads.

Got the chart up 4r down to 15 min, long trend line breach 4 hrs going back to 16/08/07

index fighting to hold last weeks low, as I post just got back inside. if closes above 877 cash , could see a bounce tomorrow, eyes on futures in the morning. That"s 10:30 sharp Hookshot :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: MEN IN BLACK DAY

State the obvious, if last weeks low goes :arrowd: could be anything 52 sma 13629 :?: buy bar possible (washout bar)

index fighting to hold last weeks low, as I post just got back inside. if closes above 877 cash , could see a bounce tomorrow, eyes on futures in the morning. That"s 10:30 sharp Hookshot :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: MEN IN BLACK DAY

State the obvious, if last weeks low goes :arrowd: could be anything 52 sma 13629 :?: buy bar possible (washout bar).

Hiya Devel
Been a good 7-10d heavenly... yep bounce tomorrow looks on and pullback SHOULD hold 775 despite the dodgy price action of late... i.e low then rallies then subsequent new lows .......

Watching out for M.I.B

13629 is interesting as it's very close to 33% retrace of the summer rally - weird..

all the best..

Hs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been a classic pullback in many ways ... and turned up on the 4th d hinting at just a normal counter trend.... but the (short term )trend is down and we have only squeezed above the summer uptrend for now.... but still below 950/60 old sppt ...not to mention that pesky 100-130 zone :cheesy: Standing back a bit just a pullback...........teehee

If you ignore my caution ........ there are up 300 juicey pts to the highs on offer in the next week or so....

Citigroup looks interesting though cos if bullish mood continues it can't keep going down....... can it ?

sorry m8....NDX is Nasdaq 100

Hiya Devel
Been a good 7-10d heavenly... yep bounce tomorrow looks on and pullback SHOULD hold 775 despite the dodgy price action of late... i.e low then rallies then subsequent new lows .......

Watching out for M.I.B

13629 is interesting as it's very close to 33% retrace of the summer rally - weird..

all the best..

Hs
This has been a classic pullback in many ways ... and turned up on the 4th d hinting at just a normal counter trend.... but the (short term )trend is down and we have only squeezed above the summer uptrend for now.... but still below 950/60 old sppt ...not to mention that pesky 100-130 zone :cheesy: Standing back a bit just a pullback...........teehee

If you ignore my caution ........ there are up 300 juicey pts to the highs on offer in the next week or so....

Citigroup looks interesting though cos if bullish mood continues it can't keep going down....... can it ?

No problem , thanks :eek:

Me , I am looking for 1st day high to go and little pull back in wee time frames, chance a long in close contact month and look to bag the Christmas hamper :LOL: :LOL:

this NDX is a real bull at mo....the baby just wont stay down

I'm looking for a push into the sky tomorrow for NDX... if not tomorrow it's only a pause
yes I'm still 200% behind my longs :)

On larger timeframe we are starting to consolidate into some sideways action. Looks like distribution phase part II has already begun, and unfortunately I wasn't alert to notice that and had some trades stopped out this week. Especially on the DOW... I actually made a nice profit on the NDX this week, which as you say confirms it's extraordinary strength in comparison to the other indices.

I'm looking for a push into the sky tomorrow for NDX... if not tomorrow it's only a pause
yes I'm still 200% behind my longs :)

On larger timeframe we are starting to consolidate into some sideways action. Looks like distribution phase part II has already begun, and unfortunately I wasn't alert to notice that and had some trades stopped out this week. Especially on the DOW... I actually made a nice profit on the NDX this week, which as you say confirms it's extraordinary strength in comparison to the other indices.

Hi FW,
I'm cautious on NDX at moment as NDX likes to fill gaps and there are two left open.The first from Oct 4 at 2107-2118 and a smaller one at 2076-2079 from 25 Sept...catching the turn will be the hard bit as usual.....but when it comes it's likely to be swift and ugly....:LOL: ..

Hi FW,
I'm cautious on NDX at moment as NDX likes to fill gaps and there are two left open.The first from Oct 4 at 2107-2118 and a smaller one at 2076-2079 from 25 Sept...catching the turn will be the hard bit as usual.....but when it comes it's likely to be swift and ugly....:LOL: ..

Cautious seems to be the best... what worries me is the notable divergence between NDX and DOW.

NQ is stuck in +/- 40 points range but as long is the trend is up, I have no option than to buy on support.

DOW on other hand, quite a different story and for the time being can't seem to get on the right side, so I'll focus on the tech's until the picture becomes clearer.

Attachments

• ndx_daily.PNG
    ndx_daily.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 141
  • nq_30min.PNG
    nq_30min.PNG
    159.6 KB · Views: 138
  • djia_daily.PNG
    djia_daily.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 137
  • djia_5min.PNG
    djia_5min.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Dow Daily chart -an interpretation

Hi Folks,
Thanks for ithe interesting posts, thought I'd try and contribute a bit if that's ok.
Been following the thread a little while, interesting price action on the Dow.
FWIW here's my take on the daily cash.
July saw an attempted 13700 breakout (blue circle) but in the end didn't have enough energy underneath it.
In August it goes in search of the required 'energy' and gets this by inflicting pain on the longs via the spike (red circle).
Nice up-channel now evident.
Will 13700 and / or lower channel boundary hold? Just work a plan out to play the breaks either way.
Anyway, that's one way of looking at it I suppose.
Cheers,
Neil

Attachments

• 2007-10-18 110644.PNG
    2007-10-18 110644.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 124