Dow 2007

Dinos said:
Firewalker, 13145?, I have the high of the day at 13132

Yes sorry I always mention futures price (Jun 07)... I realize some are looking at cash
I believe the offset is around 40 points currently... so that would make my first exit 13105...

the high is around 13170 about 15min ago

What's the benefit of trading futures over dailys?

Is one more liquid than the other? Or is it simply you can't get daily price quotes on Direct trading platforms?

Looks like your having a good week Firewalker, keep it up, well done.

I now have a sell sign on my 1,5& 10 min charts and to some extent 15 min. 30 no mans land and the longer timeframes still in an up channel.

I, currently following the shorter timeframe and currently haqve a short in place, heres hoping.

Anybody elses thoughts?

Dinos said:
Looks like your having a good week Firewalker, keep it up, well done.

I now have a sell sign on my 1,5& 10 min charts and to some extent 15 min. 30 no mans land and the longer timeframes still in an up channel.

I, currently following the shorter timeframe and currently haqve a short in place, heres hoping.

Anybody elses thoughts?

Can't say about when the market will turn (& it will!), but what I can say, it's pretty much priced for perfection right now, woe betide any longs when the next 'shock-ette' turns up (there's one overdue!)....btw important GDP figures tomorrow. Seems there's no risk premium priced into the market anywhere nowadays (& isn't the VIX nearing its lows again?)

Disclaimer: I'm short DAX & getting my @rse toasted, so you may wish to disregard aything I say!

Based on daily chart:

Negative MACD cross, falling RSI and lots of profits there to be taken by bulls I've gone short of the Jun YM at 13,131 I'm targetting 13,031back to the 9ema with a stop of 13211.

Entered 13,131 stop 13,211 target 13,031

Risk reward ratio of 1.25

Stops are in, emotions are out! My new favourite saying.

Stephen McCreedy

Attachments

• dow.jpg
    dow.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 104
Is this thing ever going to go down !

The US could get invaded by homicidal aliens, oil could go up to $300 and global thermonuclear war breaks out and "Hey lets all go buy the DOW !!"

29Investments said:

The US could get invaded by homicidal aliens, oil could go up to $300 and global thermonuclear war breaks out and "Hey lets all go buy the DOW !!"

Unreal is'nt it.....on a brighter note ...made shed loads on ftse today :cool:

counter_violent said:
Unreal is'nt it.....on a brighter note ...made shed loads on ftse today :cool:

Well done on FTSE........how did you manage that ?

I missed this morning and have not been tempted this afternoon.

29Investments said:

Next week is full moon week :devilish:

Its just oscillating around yesterday's close and going nowhere yet.
Only just got in but should be able to scalp 10-20 points per oscillation.

My first post

hornblower said:
I had the dow as a down day today
working out the cycles
theres time yet , or maybe Monday

just waiting to short it

Hi there,

I currently attempting to trade the S&P so don't mind me. I know Dow and S&P go hand in hand so any news for DOW affects the S&P. Plus this thread is a lot more active.

I'm currently short S&P @ 1493.2, so lets see what happens

Thanks

Jay

If it wasnt for Microsoft + 4.6% and GE up 2.4% the DOW would be tanking right now.

It is certaintly feasible that these 2 could succumb to the greater malaise and head lower - Its happened plenty of times before

demontaz said:
Hi there,

I currently attempting to trade the S&P so don't mind me. I know Dow and S&P go hand in hand so any news for DOW affects the S&P. Plus this thread is a lot more active.

I'm currently short S&P @ 1493.2, so lets see what happens

Thanks

Jay

Good luck Jay - I'm also looking for a move lower (as you can tell from my exasperated posts above)

Come on the Bears ! :D

29Investments said:
Good luck Jay - I'm also looking for a move lower (as you can tell from my exasperated posts above)

Yeah, Microsft seems to be struggling hanging on to it's gains (down 0.4 from todays high), so maybe there is still time for droppage :cheesy:

short?

29Investments said:

i dont mean to sound rude but why would anyone want to be short this market?
i generally like to get on board on a pull back so havent been paying much attention to the dow although normally its one i like to trade.
something that worked for me last week - buy randomly (markets dont come any better for this strategy at the moment) 100 point stop loss 100 point profit take.
takes about 60 seconds of analysis and im guessing will be successful about 75% of the time.
it aint rocket science but i think it outperforms large majority of traders at this time.
p.s. prob best to avoid fridays.

tightstops said:
i generally like to get on board on a pull back so havent been paying much attention to the dow although normally its one i like to trade.
something that worked for me last week - buy randomly (markets dont come any better for this strategy at the moment) 100 point stop loss 100 point profit take.
takes about 60 seconds of analysis and im guessing will be successful about 75% of the time.
it aint rocket science but i think it outperforms large majority of traders at this time.

If you're a bull, you should be happy to read the bear comments here. No one here has the liquidity to move the market, but they do provide a good reading of sentiment. When they give up and start talking the bull case, it will be time to seriously consider taking the bear side. These boards are a wonderful sentiment tool.

tightstops said:

Hi Tightstops,

I want to go short because my analysis says so, we all have our different strategies, some are correct and some are not. I personally hope I am correct :p

Re: your strategy, how does it fair long term, does it work in range bound markets or trending only. What are the drawdowns like, how many losses in a row can you take before game over. I'm not being rude, just want some more information about your method.

Regards

Jay