Dow 2006

dow bullish signals

Matt321 said:
The Put/Call ratio was really bullish yesterday and today

http://www.cboe.com/data/IntraDayVol.aspx

Hi Matt321 , Thanks for the Info , I have the bottom now at 11,441 Futures
and an almost perfect Doji 11,440 ----11,441 ( poss change of direction ) so it looks as if the time cycle is getting shorter for the moves---- Long and Short .
( this is not advice to trade to anyone )
best regards :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Woof, these futures just dumped on the CPI figure.Came in at 0.6% and 0.3%. A bit above expectations, but the market fell off a cliff.

we're about 10 points off dc's target at the moment. very impressive my man! i like 95% of everyone else thought we would see 10500+ at least before that.

Trading curbs are in on NYSE. These kick in when it goes down more than 160. It might be time to cover some shorts at this point.

Well well that was some market correction today. I would normally look for a bounce for the opening tomorrow but on this one I have my doubts ??

Well, I'm vaguely annoyed 'cos I closed my short from 10416 at 10419 overnight. I guess I'm completely useless at reading the DOW as I actually thought it would rise today.

I'm seriously considering a contrarian strategy for the DOW: ask myself which way I _think_ it will go and _do_ the opposite. :confused:

macbonzo said:
Trading curbs are in on NYSE. These kick in when it goes down more than 160. It might be time to cover some shorts at this point.

It is 1100 point in dow and you may or may not get a halt depending on the time of day

Chocolate said:
Well, I'm vaguely annoyed 'cos I closed my short from 10416 at 10419 overnight. I guess I'm completely useless at reading the DOW as I actually thought it would rise today.

I'm seriously considering a contrarian strategy for the DOW: ask myself which way I _think_ it will go and _do_ the opposite. :confused:
Don't kick yourself too much, CPI was really the trigger. Just stay flat until after the news and follow the reaction.. follow the crowd no matter how hysterical they may be. Looks like this market will stay volatile for near future at least until the next FED day. Just be prepared ;)

Racer said:
It is 1100 point in dow and you may or may not get a halt depending on the time of day

Yes indeed the Dow has to go into near meltdown for a suspension to occur. However for the much broader NYSE, trading curbs kick in much sooner (as we saw yesterday). It means that institutions cannot put through programme sell trades. This mainly relates to arb funds.

Housing slowdown behind rise in inflation:
Perverse methodology could be distorting view of inflation, economists say.

Beneath the surface of rising core consumer prices over the past two months lies a disturbing trend: The slowing housing market is actually making inflation look worse, economists said.

The housing sector makes up 40% of the consumer price index, which increased 0.6% in April. Core prices, which exclude food and energy but which include shelter costs, rose 0.3%, spooking financial markets with an inflation scare.

Here's how it worked:

In the heady days of the booming housing market, more people were buying homes, and fewer were renting, economists said. Supply and demand kept rents comparatively low, and inflation appeared to be contained -- despite the run-up in home prices. But this virtuous circle is now reversing.

With home prices remaining high and mortgage rates rising, more people are being priced out of the real-estate market and are instead looking to rent. This increased demand is pushing up rents.

At the same time, the supply of rental properties has been constrained, as many former rental properties have been converted into condominiums, said Mark Vitner, senior economist at Wachovia Corp.

"This dynamic, once it begins, is fairly sticky," said John Ryding, chief U.S. economist at Bear Stearns. "This raises the risk of higher inflation going forward."
Perversely, this slowdown in the market is also pushing up the costs of owning a home, at least, the cost as reported by the government.
The way the government computes the CPI has created a distortion that made inflation look tame when home prices were soaring, but is now making inflation look worse as price gains moderate. It's all because the government measures everyone's housing costs -- renters and homeowners by looking at rents, not at the cost of owning.

Housing prices do not figure directly into the CPI data, Vitner explains. The government recognizes that homes are not only shelter, but assets that add to individuals' wealth, just as stocks and bonds do.
To measure just the value of the shelter services and not the long-term value of owning the asset, the government essentially assumes that homeowners rent their homes to themselves, so it computes an implied rent called "owners' equivalent rent" by asking them how much their house would rent for.
Owners' equivalent rent "is a deeply unsatisfactory measure because it is a price that nobody actually pays," said Jan Hatzius, chief economist for Goldman Sachs.
"The recent slowdown in house price inflation not only fails to hold down the CPI, but it arguably acts to push up measured inflation," Hatzius said. "It's difficult for the Fed to make this argument explicitly, because they never talked much about this distortion when it worked to suppress measured inflation. Nevertheless, they are clearly aware of the distortion and will take it into account when judging the inflation outlook."
Steve Stanley, chief economist at RBS Greenwich Capital, said he expects owners' equivalent rent to increase 0.3% on a steady basis in the coming months.
This will translate into a lot of 0.25% gains in core CPI every month, meaning that the tipping point between a 0.2% increase and a 0.3% gain will be other categories like autos, apparel and hotel costs.
"As we have been saying, core inflation is going to blow through the top of the Fed's comfort zone over the next few months," Stanley said.
One glimmer of hope might be that the Fed's favored measure of inflation is the core personal consumption price data, which is released by the Commerce Department near the end of each month. Housing does not play such a large role in that index, economists said.

Conditions just right for a reasonable size move ...as i type .....i favour down .....but price will tell us ! ....next hr or so.

counter_violent said:
Conditions just right for a reasonable size move ...as i type .....i favour down .....but price will tell us ! ....next hr or so.

Agreed CV, looking at the 1 min chart support and resistance lines converging.....decision time real soon imo. A considerable move down would need to breach the 11190 area and 11250 to the upside.

Attachments

• DJIA.JPG
    DJIA.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 182
Don't forget it's OEX week, and those cheeky monkeys just love to play games with everyone. :eek:
Cheers
Q

twiggytwo said:
Hi Matt321 , Thanks for the Info , I have the bottom now at 11,441 Futures
and an almost perfect Doji 11,440 ----11,441 ( poss change of direction ) so it looks as if the time cycle is getting shorter for the moves---- Long and Short .
( this is not advice to trade to anyone )
best regards :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Twiggy just for the record I have since found out that in expiration week-- which is this week, not to take any notice of put/call ratio as it gives a false reading.

With support & resistance converging as soon as 11190 was breached it was south for 40 mins to the close and 65 points.

In the last 6 trading days the Dow has dropped 510 points.

Attachments

• DJIA.JPG
    DJIA.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 194
  • DJIA_DAILY.JPG
    DJIA_DAILY.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 167
- There is a danger for the economy from rising prices, said St. Louis Fed president William Poole on Thursday.
"The risks on the inflation side are tilted to the upside," Poole told reporters following a speech to a business group here.
Poole said upside inflation surprises in the past months have been small, "but persistent."
He noted that core CPI inflation on a 3-month average, has been moving up over the past year.