Dow 2006

Pat494 said:
In the short term it's nearly all about that black stuff again. With Nigeria and Iran restricting supplies its price will rocket upwards.
Bird Brain is losing the war on terrorism and has put democracy in the Middle East back by decades through his incompetence. Imho he means well but will make a predictable mess of the situation. These factors do influence trading, but more importantly may well be crucial to the survival of the West . There is another major factor on the bigger issue. It is on a knife edge whether the West rejects science for the more comfortable " intelligent creation" philosophy. Should this be the case then we had better get used to being in the camp of the "has beens"
:eek: :eek: .
Every 'successful' civilisation in History has cocked it up eventually, usually due to complacency and arrogance!

Pat494 said:
In the short term it's nearly all about that black stuff again. With Nigeria and Iran restricting supplies its price will rocket upwards.
Bird Brain is losing the war on terrorism and has put democracy in the Middle East back by decades through his incompetence. Imho he means well but will make a predictable mess of the situation. These factors do influence trading, but more importantly may well be crucial to the survival of the West . There is another major factor on the bigger issue. It is on a knife edge whether the West rejects science for the more comfortable " intelligent creation" philosophy. Should this be the case then we had better get used to being in the camp of the "has beens"
:eek: :eek: .
A classic example of "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions"

Guess this may cause a few ripples depending on what he say's.
I think I'll stand aside until he's done :)

Ben Bernanke Speaks! Wednesday - Mar 8, 2006
12:00 PM ET : Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to address general session of the Independent Community Bankers of America, in Las Vegas, Nevada .

Gentle positive slope channel on the weekly but the higher highs correspond with weaker peaks on MACD ( blue arrows)so there may be some steady loss of momentum for the bulls. Unless they're just catching their breath of course.

Attachments

• weekly.jpg
    weekly.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 222
"To the extent that there's more people involved in the daily trading of the markets, it's a good thing," said John Burnham, portfolio manager at Burnham Securities, noting that nowadays trading is dominated by huge institutional investors as well as hedge funds. He said seeing more individuals come back is a good thing.

As a recent Wall Street Journal article pointed out, discount brokers in particular saw a big pickup in the number of individual trades in January. In addition, money flowed into stock mutual funds in January at brokers such as Charles Schwab at the fastest pace in nearly six years.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/07/markets/markets_feature/index.htm

"As a recent Wall Street Journal article pointed out, discount brokers in particular saw a big pickup in the number of individual trades in January. In addition, money flowed into stock mutual funds in January at brokers such as Charles Schwab at the fastest pace in nearly six years."

Hmm... the public is always late to the party.

that's why I'd rather sell tops than buy dips at the moment, when the guys working at the Pizza Hut start buying mutual funds it's time to start selling

I was TV channel hopping last night and on one soap they were talking about trading/investing...

So now a part of soapland too :eek:

Made a quick 70 points last night on an sp short from 1280 to 1271, wanted to let it run but closed it as it looks like another rally is on the cards. Will look to short another top.

Last edited:
Nonfarm Payrolls

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the consequencies of the nonfarm payroll numbers (as well as the others) being announced soon?

SirFrancis said:
Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the consequencies of the nonfarm payroll numbers (as well as the others) being announced soon?
if its a guess you want,i do expect a rally today and a strong one at that, if it goes through 11050 im going short into next week for a small position and then scaling in a bit at a time if the market goes with me.the only concern at the moment is the great majority of people are expecting the same.

SirFrancis said:

the numbers are not important, they are merely a 'reason' that the media will use to justify the move up or down
:rolleyes:

houdani said:
if its a guess you want,i do expect a rally today and a strong one at that, if it goes through 11050 im going short into next week for a small position and then scaling in a bit at a time if the market goes with me.the only concern at the moment is the great majority of people are expecting the same.
I'm just a little concerned that we've made new weekly lows this week - a high confidence daytrader's trade in this circumstance would be to sell at last week's close, particulary on a Friday.

solentsurfer said:
I'm just a little concerned that we've made new weekly lows this week - a high confidence daytrader's trade in this circumstance would be to sell at last week's close, particulary on a Friday.
i know what you mean,i wont be day trading today,just looking for a decent seat on the train south.these non-farm days are notoriously difficult to trade so if we break down to 10920 ill use that as my entry with a large stop above10050.

This market is steaming up. For once I am glad a covered my S&P short for a small profit early on. It looks to me like some panic short covering and maybe a little to do with expiration next week. That said this is a pretty impressive effort with the 10 year yield still as high as it is.

Very evident too, that there is a switch to defensives at the moment. Dow outperforming the Nas and S&P regularly.

short now for the medium term at 11056. im hoping this is one last burst of glory.anyone else need a lift? we're heading down!

houdani said:
short now for the medium term at 11056. im hoping this is one last burst of glory.anyone else need a lift? we're heading down!

I've taken a short too at 11070, using a short dated covered warrant. Last time I did this the dow shot up some 200 points (I don't remember the exact amount but it hurt!), before coming back down. Am hoping for a fall towards the end of trading. However, current economic news looks good and is supporting the indices well.

Was long overnight but got out today a little early, though still happy to take some profits :cheesy:

C

houdani said:
what's your target? I m in, too at 11075 and 11061.