Dow 2006

rav700 said:
I am short as dow has formed the double top......I have bought an october contract becuase I am positive I will get about a 100 point out of it at least.......
Short @11681
Target@11581
Stop@11781

Wish me best of luck

Happy Trading

Rav
wish you look with your short, dow closed 2nd highest ever. thought the contract now was for december?. think my self that 12000 on cards before year end although a pull back would be expected sometime soon. all imo.

Hook Shot said:
I'm now short at close and Man U have taken the lead!!!
Dow will probably go higher but overnight shorts are limited risk and easily hedged in Euro sesh.
Feel good about the trade ...........

Incidentally this blow off COULD continue into end of week............at least I'm preparing for that possibility.

HS

Like Wise mate...............
Best of luck

dcarrigan said:
wish you look with your short, dow closed 2nd highest ever. thought the contract now was for december?. think my self that 12000 on cards before year end although a pull back would be expected sometime soon. all imo.

I appreciate your comments......
I am looking for only 100 points.....
I have got a nice stop....
I think will fall atlest 250 points and then go all the way to the 12000.....

Again I am going with my october theory.......

What goes up must come down.......If it looks to risky then might reconsider......let see where the dow takes us.....

Best of luck
Happy Trading

Rav

Apologies if this is off-topic, naive or plain stupid, but never mind the double tops, pivot points, resistance levels, MAs, stochastics, flags, CCI, etc, etc, does anyone around here trade the Dow purely on what might be called 'instinct', i.e. by watching the line wiggle across the chart and taking a position either way when the moment looks right, and without referring to a barrage of technical stuff? Or is that really what most people do, if they're not using some sort of automatic system?

P.S. I went short just before the close, too!

That would be just plain stupid would it not?
Oh, OK then, that would be where I aspire to be, not sure when I'll get there, maybe another 20 yrs from now, that's an apprenticeship alright!!!!
Chris

Welcome Phil ................ I think there are many instinct traders out there - many of us hide behind the patterns and indicators... they make us feel more comfortable - Also easier to rationalise a decision .......after the fact!

Hook Shot

Chindl

I only asked because the 'instinct' method seems to work just as well (or badly) as trying to justify a position using TA! No doubt the Dow will break 12000 tomorrow...

Phil Mibbutz said:
Apologies if this is off-topic, naive or plain stupid, but never mind the double tops, pivot points, resistance levels, MAs, stochastics, flags, CCI, etc, etc, does anyone around here trade the Dow purely on what might be called 'instinct', i.e. by watching the line wiggle across the chart and taking a position either way when the moment looks right, and without referring to a barrage of technical stuff? Or is that really what most people do, if they're not using some sort of automatic system?

P.S. I went short just before the close, too!

I guess a bit of everything...................
I think with T.A It makes a big difference......but above all it is all about market sentiment......
Sometimes even if the news is negative the markets decide to turn the news to market +ve

All about sentiments Good luck with your short My friends....
What have you bought at if you dont mind me asking???
Best of luck
Rav

Evening chaps
I see most are now positioned short a little risky IMO with only 30 points on offer if you are in at the close today, myself I will short the early move in the normal session tomorrow but look to take about 65 points then position ready for Friday which should see record highs into the close

Just my thoughts and not meant to be trading advice

Phil Mibbutz said:
Chindl

I only asked because the 'instinct' method seems to work just as well (or badly) as trying to justify a position using TA! No doubt the Dow will break 12000 tomorrow...
Hi Phil

Just a light hearted comment, I know there are people out there that do trade price, usually on volume and S/R. If people can get their state of mind to such a level that allows them to trade in this manner then I take my hat off to them. I do aspire to trade on price patterns alone at some point in the future, but I still have a lot of education to go through to get to that stage. As someone said earlier, I think we look for confidence in our actions when we use TA, in a similar way you would look to your mentor to confirm your action is approporiate when taking an apprenticeship or when you start a new career.

Best of luck to you all. Does anyone anticipate a rejection from the ATH if touched on this week, we are after all in the seasonally weak period for the next couple of weeks?

Chris

Good Point DC........ sort of Hook Shot specific really.
Having that position will force me to focus on my game ....been a bit sloppy recently. I know it's vulnerable for rest of week but I'm on the case.

Ammo - rings a bell ...4yr anniversary of bull market by any chance ?

Cheers

Hook Shot

Is it a bird ?

or is it a plane ??

No its the Dow

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Pat494 said:
Is it a bird ?

or is a plane ??

No its the Dow

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hello Pat...........

Is this a secret code....
hmmmm :rolleyes:

Have a nice day still got my short open......lets hope we get a lil drop

Happy Trading

Rav

rav700 said:
Hello Pat...........

Is this a secret code....
hmmmm :rolleyes:

Have a nice day still got my short open......lets hope we get a lil drop

Happy Trading

Rav
Hi Rav,
It just goes up and up - must be an oil thing again ??
Is that baby Rav ?- your avatar
T2W's time machine or those pills ??????????????????

Fed May Still Hike Rates Again !

No Shortage of Bubbles and Troubles
By Jim Jubak: MSN Money Markets Editor: 9/27/2006

The stock and bond markets rallied after the Federal Reserve held short-term interest rates steady at its Sept. 20 meeting. Investors believe that the Fed has successfully steered the economy between too hot and too cold, and that we're headed for a just-right soft landing with inflation under control and the economy growing at a solid pace. The so-called "Goldilocks economy" will push both stock and bond prices higher.

But I think it's premature to slap the Fed on the back and say "mission accomplished." The truth is the Federal Reserve still hasn't pricked the financial bubble that it created with nearly a decade of easy-money policies. Oh, the housing market bubble may be deflating, with or without the abrupt pop that ended the stock market bubble of 2000. But the Fed hasn't succeeded in sopping up the flood of cheap money it created when it drove short-term interest rates down to 1% in June 2003 and kept them at that level until June 2004. Now all of that cheap money is pushing up borrowing in the commercial real estate market fast enough to worry bank and savings and loan regulators. And that isn't the only sector in the midst of a bubble.

It might be better to name this the "Lady Macbeth economy." Cast Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke as Shakespeare's bloody queen who cried, "Out, out damn spot," as she vainly tried to wash the blood of a murdered king from her hands. In this economic version of the tragedy, however, Bernanke wanders the darkened halls of the Fed muttering, "Out, out damn bubble," as he tries to wash away the financial curse left to him by his predecessor, Alan Greenspan.

The Fed made three points in its Sept. 20 post-meeting statement:

"The moderation in economic growth appears to be continuing, partly reflecting a cooling of the housing market."

Moderating energy prices are likely to reduce inflation pressures over time.

Some inflation risks remain, and additional interest rate increases may be necessary.

The bond market, however, seems to have heard only part of this message, the part about moderating growth and moderating inflationary pressures. Bond investors have been busy bidding up the price of 10-year Treasury notes ever since the last Fed meeting on June 29 in anticipation of exactly this mix of moderate growth and reduced inflationary pressures. That's why the yield on the 10-year note has sunk to 4.78% at the close on Sept. 20 from 5.22% on June 30. That 8% drop in yield in less than three months is a very strong vote in favor of the success of the Federal Reserve's policies. Bond buyers are willing to accept a lower rate of interest on these long-term notes because they believe that inflation and interest rates will be lower than they are now.

Of course, the bond market's belief in the Fed's conquest of inflation and in the likelihood of an interest rate cut next year makes it harder for the Fed to avoid raising interest rates. Even with 17 increases in short-term interest rates since June 2004, the Fed has had great difficulty in pushing up long-term rates and interest rates on mortgages that are so often linked to those rates. Rates on the standard 30-year fixed-rate mortgage didn't climb above 6% to stay until October 2005 -- 15 months and 11 rate hikes after the Fed began to increase short-term rates. And despite all those rate increases from the Fed, the interest rate on a 30-year mortgage had actually climbed only as high as 6.8% by July 2006, shortly after Bernanke and company raised short-term rates for what is, so far, the last time in this cycle. Since then, with the bond market increasingly convinced that the Fed is done, interest rates on a 30-year mortgage have actually dropped. The national average for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was just 6.33% on Sept. 21, according to the data from Informa Research Services. That's an effective rollback in mortgage rates to March 2006, when the national average stood at 6.31%.

That drop in mortgage rates should be enough to raise a few worries at the Fed. After having fought so hard to raise mortgage rates to let some air out of the housing bubble, the Fed can't be happy to see the bond market so rapidly undo that work. Certainly somebody at the Fed has got to be asking, "Do we need to hit the bond market with another rate increase so that investors in long-term bonds and mortgage lenders don't forget the message?". At the long end of the yield curve, the 10-year end, the bond market right now is pricing in a cut in interest rates by the Fed in 2007. By bidding long-term interest rates below 5%, however, bond investors are likely to force the Fed to move in exactly the opposite direction. If long-term interest rates drop lower or even just stay at this level, it's likely that the Fed will move to raise rates one more time, especially if current low rates on mortgages start to show up in an increase in housing sales or home prices.

But the strongest argument against the Federal Reserve moving quickly to cut interest rates comes in the continued -- maybe even accelerated -- growth in other kinds of financial bubbles. Some of the air may have gone out of the residential real estate bubble, but the evidence argues that all the Fed has accomplished with its interest rate increases so far is to trade one bubble for another.

Take a look at what regulators fear is a growing bubble in commercial real estate. On the national level, commercial real estate loans climbed to $1.3 trillion in 2005, up 16% on the year. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency has found that a third of nationally chartered banks have commercial real estate loans that amount to 300% or more of bank capital. The Office of the Comptroller has said that banks with more than 100% of their capital in construction loans or more than 300% of that capital in commercial real estate generally need more thorough scrutiny from regulators. On the local level, commercial real estate lending has taken up the slack left by a slowing residential mortgage market. In Florida's Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties, 21 local community banks increased their real estate lending by 40% in the 12 months that ended in June 2006 from the prior 12-month period, according to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. -- even though residential real estate sales are down about 40% in the area in 2006. The biggest increase -- some 74% -- came in commercial construction and development loans.

That's not exactly what the Fed was hoping for when it raised interest rates 17 times. Raising interest rates is supposed to make borrowers more reluctant to borrow and make it more expensive for lenders to raise the capital that they use to make loans. The amount of money available for lending is supposed to shrink, but that doesn't seem to have happened so far in the market for commercial real estate loans. If anything, too much money is chasing too few good loan opportunities, according to regulators. They fear that exactly the same situation is developing in the commercial real estate market as developed in the market for residential mortgages, when banks with more than enough money to lend chased after borrowers by lowering their credit quality standards.

Is this the only place in the economy where too much loan money may be chasing too few good borrowers? Not by a long shot. One place to look is the runaway market for mergers and acquisitions and private buyouts of public companies. The volume of leveraged buyouts, for example, tripled in the 12 months that ended in August from the same period a year earlier. Every private buyout that is announced is larger than the one that closed just the week before.

And I'm pretty sure that mortgage lenders have yet a few more tricks up their sleeves to rope in a few more borrowers. American Express (AXP) recently announced that buyers of condominiums at some projects in Manhattan will be able to charge their down payment on their green, gold or platinum cards. Borrowers will get reward points good for airline miles, of course. Sounds like the residential real estate bubble may still have some gas left in it. And that the commercial real estate and corporate mergers and acquisitions markets may be more than able to put any excess cash to work in pumping up their own bubbles.

The Fed's Bernanke has argued that long-term interest rates have been so low for so long -- and so resistant to moving upward under pressure from climbing short-term rates -- because we are in the middle of a global savings glut. There is simply too much cash in the world and too few good investment opportunities for that cash. The result is low rates for lenders and rising asset prices as all that money chases a limited supply of things, be they homes or commercial buildings or corporate buyout candidates. Until the underlying excess liquidity is removed from the system, deflating one bubble will just produce another bubble somewhere else. So far, the world's central banks and sovereign governments have shown little ability, and in many cases no real inclination, to slow the growth in the supply of global capital let alone actually reduce it.

So the Federal Reserve is left with a dangerous brew like that boiled up by the witches at the beginning of "Macbeth." Remember what they chant: "Double, double, toil and trouble/Fire burn and cauldron bubble."

Pat494 said:
Hi Rav,
It just goes up and up - must be an oil thing again ??
Is that baby Rav ?- your avatar
T2W's time machine or those pills ??????????????????

No thats not me..............just ana avatar

Also yep that is going higher and higher...just not going to look at my trade till it comes back down......may be 3:00 will bring some light........

Happy Trading

Rav

The OIL inventories data just out:-
Plenty of gasoline, first time for a long time. Typical boom/bust situation. Opec will probably over-react and cause another shortage early next year ! Cheaper petrol for a while and a big rise in consumer confidence. Mind those shorts fellas !!

forgot to add to the above the 65 points is given the current high for day if we go to 745 I will adjust profit target