Dow 2006

Will this evenings FOMC announcement propel the Dow towards new year highs or will it be the catalyst to send the markets spiralling south ?
We shall soon see !
........................................................................................................

Don't invest in fairy tales: The current psychology feels a lot like May
By Todd Harrison, Sep 20, 2006
Editor's note: Todd Harrison is founder and CEO of Minyanville.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch): "I don't think I want to know a six-year-old who isn't a dreamer or a sillyheart." -- Uncle Buck

I used to love fairy tales. No matter how ornate the plot, everyone lived happily ever after. It was one of those small creature comforts that embedded a sense of security in us all. We figured that Cinderella would one day marry her prince. We reasonably assumed that the third little pig would get the last laugh. And we always believed, in the back of our brain, that Goldilocks would find a place that was "just right."
Of course, young Goldy experienced a rude awakening. While she peacefully slumbered in the baby bear's bed, the angry ursine surrounded her and ended her journey on a somber note. Sure, she was fat and happy when she met her fate but her last visual was a slew of sharp claws that ushered in a deep sleep of a different kind.

Fast forward to Wednesday's tape.

As the mainstream media celebrates new highs in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, call it the inevitable porridge, we'd be wise to remember the lessons learned from the young and impressionable blonde. The current psychology feels a lot like it did in May, when headlines about An Old Fashion Economic Boom were in vogue and journalists anticipated the "woo woos and throwing paper" that would inevitably be unleashed on the floor of the exchange.

Of course, this time is different and we would be wise to note the subtle shift. While concerns about heat exhaustion led to the demise of the spring assault, latent fears of a global slowdown will likely be the upcoming culprit. To be sure, the Matador Crowd has chosen to focus on what's gone right. The sharp correction in crude, for instance, is still being viewed as a consumer crutch rather than a deflationary precursor. When investors begin to ask "why" rather than "what," perception, which is the market's reality, will shift on a dime. I opined a few weeks ago that the spill in the commodity space, as measured by the break of the five year uptrend of the CRB, might have ominous ramifications for the equity realm. Through my lens, the reflation trade that ushered in the high-tide that lifted all asset class boats, at the expense of the dollar, offered visualization that the seas have shifted. That hasn't played out, which is to say that I was wrong. Only time will tell if I was simply early.

To be sure, there is a subtle difference between a "lack of inflation," as evidenced by Tuesday's PPI, and "deflation," in a conventional sense. The scenario described above is predicated on a mean-reverting bounce in the commodities, which has yet to unfold. Yogi Berra once said that we can observe a lot just by watching. That lack of sponsorship warrants attention. There have been rumblings that the supply side pressure can be chalked up to hedge fund liquidations such as Amaranth but we would be wise to remember that rationalization is a double edged sword. In a derivative laden, interwoven financial fabric, losses like that can shift from containment to contagion in a hurry. I'm not smart enough to offer when the bloom will fade from the bovine rose but I'm seasoned enough to respect the risks. With the consumer mired in debt, $2 trillion of adjustable rate mortgages resetting by the end of next year and societal acrimony perking up from Hungary to Thailand -- not to mention the fragile nature of the Middle East -- the global landscape is telling us all we need to know about risk versus reward. Perhaps we can navigate ourselves through these dicey times but I learned a long time ago that hope isn't a viable investment vehicle.

Happy endings often happen but life, as we've learned, is no fairy tale.

Fed Statment and the impact

The Federal Open Market Committee decided today to keep its target for the federal funds rate at 5-1/4 percent.

The moderation in economic growth appears to be continuing, partly reflecting a cooling of the housing market.

Readings on core inflation have been elevated, and the high levels of resource utilization and of the prices of energy and other commodities have the potential to sustain inflation pressures. However, inflation pressures seem likely to moderate over time, reflecting reduced impetus from energy prices, contained inflation expectations, and the cumulative effects of monetary policy actions and other factors restraining aggregate demand.

Nonetheless, the Committee judges that some inflation risks remain. The extent and timing of any additional firming that may be needed to address these risks will depend on the evolution of the outlook for both inflation and economic growth, as implied by incoming information.

Voting for the FOMC monetary policy action were: Ben S. Bernanke, Chairman; Timothy F. Geithner, Vice Chairman; Susan S. Bies; Jack Guynn; Donald L. Kohn; Randall S. Kroszner; Frederic S. Mishkin; Sandra Pianalto; Kevin M. Warsh; and Janet L. Yellen. Voting against was Jeffrey M. Lacker, who preferred an increase of 25 basis points in the federal funds rate target at this meeting.

On the statement issued the Dow fell about 32 points and now has come back up again.......
Personally am still bearish........

ajaskey said:
Why? What data leads you to that position?
September and october have always been a weak month for both the dow and the ftse.
Also My chart are showing a double top forming and it is too high to go on we need a little correction....I am not talking about long term bearish...................just short term

rav700 said:
September and october have always been a weak month for both the dow and the ftse.
Also My chart are showing a double top forming and it is too high to go on we need a little correction....I am not talking about long term bearish...................just short term

Ok. My opinion is it may be good to close longs at the second high, but not to short until there is a real breakdown. Just my opinion.

It's difficult to be bullish with new money - but based on evidence you can't be bearish either. based on spx even late bulls have been rewarded with clear ledges at 1310 and a killer one at 1290. Cheers Andy. I'm neutral waiting for a dip to buy despite my bearish bias.

I've capitulated!

Hook Shot

Fed Keeps Interest Rates Unchanged
Bob Carver: Wednesday, September 20, 2006

In Wednesday's market, the Federal Open Market Committee decided to keep short term interest rates unchanged. While most observers think the Federal Reserve "controls" interest rates, they actually control only the very short rates, the "Fed Funds" rate banks charge each other for overnight loans being one of them. Long term rates are entirely controlled by the bond market. If the bond market wants to keep long term rates relatively low compared to the overnight rate the Fed controls, there's nothing the Federal Reserve can reasonably do to prevent it.

The Fed has its hands tied by the bond market right now. Bonds decided at the end of June to lower long term rates even as the Fed was raising the overnight rate to 5.25%. And, indeed, the 10-year Treasury Note stands today almost a half-percentage point under that unchanged FOMC-controlled rate. That's called an inverted yield curve -- a situation which has always led in the past to the onset of a recession when conditions were the same as they are today. Until the bond market either raises rates or the Fed lowers them, we will continue to see this inverted yield curve.

Many economists are claiming it's different this time. The inverted yield curve is not signaling a recession ahead. Unfortunately, the last time the yield curve inverted was at the beginning of the early 'Naughties recession' and they claimed things were different then. But, things weren't different and we got a nasty recession which required the Fed to lower short term rates to depression-era levels to bring the economy back to life after the NASDAQ lost 80% of its value and the S&P 500 index lost 50%. One thing we know is that economists can be counted on to be wrong at critical turning points in the economy. Why that is must be one of the mysteries of human nature.

But, it isn't too late for the Fed to wake up and lower rates. It is also possible that the bond market will raise rates to un-invert the curve. The signal for a recession will be given by mid-October if the curve stays inverted. The stock market rallied right up to a resistance line Wednesday and backed off although maintaining a decent gain for the day. Was that the top?

ajaskey said:
Ok. My opinion is it may be good to close longs at the second high, but not to short until there is a real breakdown. Just my opinion.
70 point is not bad for a bearish view........just like I said and here we go on the slide downwards............................... :cheesy:

Well Done - Rav.......... glad you've made some.
One day doesn't make a trend - although I really hope you're right.

Hook Shot

rav700 said:
70 point is not bad for a bearish view........just like I said and here we go on the slide downwards............................... :cheesy:
Let add another 41 points to the record...I am still not going to close my position.....I did say I am bearish and I did say that the dow is on the way down.............................................. :cheesy:

Congratulations - I mean it ...... I've only managed to clip 30pts but I live in hope ..... but it doesn't feel like a Biggie! I'm still looking to buy the dip.

All the best

Hook Shot

Next weeks Dow

I've had it going down for the last 2 weeks in the Dow comp. Probably not a good recommendation for next week's forecast but I feel next week it will finally do " wot it orto"
and go BL**DY well down !!

Pat494 said:
I've had it going down for the last 2 weeks in the Dow comp. Probably not a good recommendation for next week's forecast but I feel next week it will finally do " wot it orto"
and go BL**DY well down !!
Hope you're right Pat - I'm currently short from 11600 (Oct contract).

I got very confused on the board.....when I was bearish all the comments seem to be bullish and I guess you all are planning to join me now..........hmmmm
Best of luck to all of you I wish I would not have removed my contract at 11610....biggest mistake is go by your own instincts...lesson learnt....
Still made 128 point.....with my dow skills :cheesy:

Have to admit I closed my position for the weekend but did bag a few on Friday. Interesting to see how it opens Monday though.

While glancing through e-Bay's offerings of trading software last Friday I came across someone called Erik Long selling Fractal finance software and perhaps foolishly bought it.
For the ( few ) that may not be fully up to speed on fractals here is a defination and something to learn on a wet Sunday afternoon.:-

In mathematics and physics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that under certain conditions exhibit a phenomenon known as chaos. Among the characteristics of chaotic systems, described below, is the sensitivity to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, the behavior of systems that exhibit chaos appears to be random, exhibiting an expontial error dispersion, even though the system is deterministic in the sense that it is well defined and contains no random parameters. Examples of such systems include the atmosphere, the solar system, plate tectonics, turbulent fluids, economics, and population growth, and the vast variety of thermodynamically open systems operating far from equilibrium.

Systems that exhibit mathematical chaos are deterministic and thus orderly in some sense; this technical use of the word chaos is at odds with common parlance, which suggests complete disorder. (See the article on mythological chaos for a discussion of the origin of the word in mythology, and other uses.) A related field of physics called quantum chaos theory studies non-deterministic systems that follow the laws of quantum mechanics.

As well as being orderly in the sense of being deterministic, chaotic systems usually have well defined statistics. For example, the Lorentz system pictured is chaotic, but has a clearly defined structure. Weather is chaotic, but its statistics - climate - is not.

Sounds marvellous. I only hope Mr. Long sends it b 4 2 long ! If I ever get to grips with it I will post any relevent details. Like how much profit it makes etc.

Marketwatchs view:

Equities appear ripe for further losses
Stocks may be pulled lower amid increased jitters over U.S. economic health

U.S. stocks will remain on shaky ground next week as investors, already unsettled by signs the U.S. economy could be slowing more quickly than expected, face a second week of heavy economic data as well as the end-of-quarter earnings warning season. "I imagine we would tread water or retrace," said Donald Selkin, director of equity research at Joseph Stevens. "I don't see a big collapse, but we're susceptible," to losses. Investors were spooked Thursday after a report showed manufacturing activity in the Philadelphia region fell in September for the first monthly decline since April 2003, led by a drop in new orders and shipments. The Philly Fed report touched a nerve with investors, said Philip Dow, director of equity strategy at RBC Dain Rauscher. Stocks tumbled on the report, the dollar fell against major currencies and the bond market rallied, pushing yields to more than six-month lows. "Up until now, we felt as though manufacturing was holding its own. Surprisingly, the consumer is doing a little bit better and now it looks like manufacturing may be questionable." Selkin noted that a number of stocks on the Dow Jones Industrial Average hit 52-week highs this week and that the benchmark index was closing in on its all-time closing high, and those factors have created resistance. "The question now is whether this is just another small retracement within an intermediate-term advance or is it the beginning of something much worse that takes the indexes back to their June and July lows?" wrote Mark Arbeter, chief technical analyst at Standard & Poor's, in a weekly update. Next week's schedule for data releases includes figures on core consumer inflation, personal income and spending, as well as consumer confidence.

A number of Federal Reserve officials are scheduled to make speeches, including Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President William Poole, who will speak on the issue of data dependence Friday. Poole will be a voter on the Fed's rate-policy committee, beginning with the two-day meeting on Oct. 24 and 25 through next year. But after the Philly Fed report, December fed funds, for the first time, started pricing in a small chance of a rate cut to 5% from 5.25%. By Friday, the odds had risen to 26%. Ken Kam, portfolio manager of the Marketocracy Masters 100 Fund, believes bets on a rate cut are premature. "When you hear reports of one Fed area of activity gauges pointing downward, I think it's going to take more than that before they start cutting rates again." However, he said the Fed looks likely to keep rate moves on ice for a while "partly because [they may be] afraid that if they were to push rates any higher, the housing market might have a very serious problem and that might have broader reprecussions for the broader economy."

The markets may be rattled, but not surprised, next week if fresh data reflect a continued cooling in the housing sector. New and existing home sales numbers will be released on Monday and Wednesday. RBC's Dow said he expects the market to be most interested in the durable goods orders report for August, due on Wednesday, as it should more information about the pace of the economic slowdown. Kam thinks the market will keep close watch on the final revision of second-quarter gross domestic product, which is expected by economists polled by MarketWatch to remain at 2.9%. If GDP remains unchanged, said Kam, that's "about as close to a bull's eye" as economists are going to Bernanke's target growth rate of about 3%, a level the central bank leader has said is not inflationary but is sustainable. "There have only been two soft landings accomplished by the Fed...by Greenspan in 1995 and in 1966, under (Fed Chairman) William McChesney Martin, Jr. And the U.S. was on the gold standard at that time. So this does not happen a lot."

I have my final lot of shorts in

I am short as dow has formed the double top......I have bought an october contract becuase I am positive I will get about a 100 point out of it at least.......
Short @11681
Target@11581
Stop@11781

Wish me best of luck

Happy Trading

Rav

I'm now short at close and Man U have taken the lead!!!
Dow will probably go higher but overnight shorts are limited risk and easily hedged in Euro sesh.
Feel good about the trade ...........

Incidentally this blow off COULD continue into end of week............at least I'm preparing for that possibility.

HS