Does technical analysis work or not?

Does technical analysis work in your opinion?

• Total voters
Apr 4, 2016
Consistency doesn't mean you have to get every trade right. Nobody on earth can claim that title.
Yes, I understand. This is why I suggested you put up trades only after it has gone into profit, obviously within some fair limit of promptness. It will reduce your burden that way. Trading is pretty tough, I see no reason to put obstacles in your way when the market itself is quite capable of doing the necessary.

mike.

Feb 25, 2012
Welcome back Joe... no longer a beginner then ?

Aug 21, 2004
Manchester
It has everything to do with TA. Without TA, nobody will put their money in. If no money goes in, the banks will make bugger all profit.

I don't know, are you still a mod ? We could be skipping on thin ice.
Do pension funds put money in cos of TA. :LOL: No, it goes in because it has to have a home and be earning and growing.

Yes I'm still a mod, does this have some relevance?

Apr 4, 2016
Do pension funds put money in cos of TA. :LOL: No, it goes in because it has to have a home and be earning and growing.

Yes I'm still a mod, does this have some relevance?
Does it really matter what they use ? In the end your pension is a gonner anyway. But that's a different market. For retail forex or cfd, TA is the bread and butter of the banks. I will even say it's the bread and butter of forum operators too. It will surely be a disaster for all if TA is found to be less than savoury. But you should have no fear, the retail joes will grasp at anything remotely reassembling a straw.

Being mod is good, offers a safety net should you mess with any fancy new TA idea and it goes belly up.

babyjake1961

Oct 25, 2012
Well, I simply think of it this way: you have some TA setup in place and all indicators you're using (whatever they are) point to the downside. You go short but then there's a data release or an official's public statement that make the price go up. Or, worse, the price just goes up in absence of any clear catalyst. So how would your TA-based market entry be any different from a random one?

dbphoenix

Aug 24, 2003
Well, I simply think of it this way: you have some TA setup in place and all indicators you're using (whatever they are) point to the downside. You go short but then there's a data release or an official's public statement that make the price go up. Or, worse, the price just goes up in absence of any clear catalyst. So how would your TA-based market entry be any different from a random one?
If your entry is based on indicators, it probably wouldn't. :)

Db

babyjake1961

Oct 25, 2012
If your entry is based on indicators, it probably wouldn't. :)

Db
Indicators or chart patterns or whatever else that you use as a basis in your TA. The economic data released or officials' statements don't care about any of that anyway when they hit the market. The same is with fundamental analysis: not only you need to guess an outcome of an event but also the market's reaction to it. Sure, you can do it sometimes but consistently if you're not privy to insider info?