Does Broadband Go Through Local Exchange?

jonnyy40

Experienced member
If I thought I was being hacked via the local exchange,would changing to broadband spike their guns?As it's always on,is it routed differently?

j40 - do you think you're being hacked because of what your firewall is telling you or because you don't have a firewall?

And purely hypothetically, if I were to be hacking your machine, what would I be looking for and where might I find it?

I keep getting 'log on in progress' messages on the TWS.I upgraded to ssl and IBs technical department said it sounds like someone trying to intercept information.During the log on the TWS goes a strange colour and freezes.I've been getting a lot of disconnections recently too.The log ons aren't during these.I stupidly told some locals I was trading,that's all.

johnny, If you want to know what's going on, go back to Pitstop and post a Hijackthis log.

Jonny,

The colour changes are all normal and just indicate that there is an interrupt in your connection. It sounds more like a poor connection issue than someone attempting to hack your machine. If you use Broadband try using dial up for a while and see if the problem persists. Also it is not uncommon for some IB users who are connected to a specific server to experience the same things at the same time with regard to connection and colour changes.

Paul

jonnyy40 said:
I stupidly told some locals I was trading,that's all.

I presume you mean locals and not 'locals'...

Seriously though, it does sound like a move up to BB would be a good idea. Apart from the massive increase in bandwidth/speed, you'll also get less disconnect problems (in my experience).

And if you're not using a firewall, you could perhaps think about that too.