Broadband speed

karl6666

Broadband speed

I remember about 10 years ago, when broadband first came out where I live. It was the old company NTL. You could click onto a page, go on holiday for a week return and nothing would have moved.
When you typed an address into the browser, hit the return and it instantly without delay appeared. Awesome. I have just enrolled with BE broadband, upto 24 meg – nonsense, it runs on average 8 meg, losing connection and its costing £18 a month. They claim because its the distance from the ‘exchange’, well hello everybody does not live next door to the exchange. I cant get virgin 50 meg in my area. I think Ill return to SKY never had any problems but a little slower.

Karl

:devilish:

Exchange distance IS the major factor with ADSL speed and reliability. Also the state of the exisiting telephone cabling can be an influence.

What is your distance to the exchange ?

Exchange distance IS the major factor with ADSL speed and reliability. Also the state of the exisiting telephone cabling can be an influence.

What is your distance to the exchange ?

1 mile............

1 mile............

You should have reliable service at that distance. Is the ADSL modem/router supplied by BT ? If not, is the firmware up to date ? Are you using a suitable line filter ?

8 MBps may be reasonable for the distance, but you should expect reliability. You probably need to hound BT until you get reliable operation. I forget where, but with a bit of googling, you can find charts of ADSL speed vs distance.

Using any web browser you can log onto your modem router and have a look at line statistics. Use a URL of something like http://192.168.0.1 (10.0.0.1 is also a common address). Attached a screen shot of my ADSL connection summary stats. This is a good, reliable service.

Low line attenuation and high noise margin figures are what we want to see. Google for acceptable values. I mention this so that you can have some ammunition to argue with BT if your line quality is poor. I've been down this road before.

Attachments

• adsl.png
    adsl.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 256
You should have reliable service at that distance. Is the ADSL modem/router supplied by BT ? If not, is the firmware up to date ? Are you using a suitable line filter ?

8 MBps may be reasonable for the distance, but you should expect reliability. You probably need to hound BT until you get reliable operation. I forget where, but with a bit of googling, you can find charts of ADSL speed vs distance.

Using any web browser you can log onto your modem router and have a look at line statistics. Use a URL of something like http://192.168.0.1 (10.0.0.1 is also a common address). Attached a screen shot of my ADSL connection summary stats. This is a good, reliable service.

Low line attenuation and high noise margin figures are what we want to see. Google for acceptable values. I mention this so that you can have some ammunition to argue with BT if your line quality is poor. I've been down this road before.

thanks for the info dcraig.

Im away from home at the moment, but will research when I get home, BE broadband will run the analysis for me

K