Does anyone use and LIKE TradingView?

cara2

TV Massive disappointment so far.
Waste of money, I think. £200+.
I admit I dived in on 70% off day without full research , but expected
1) a sophisticated trading platform with good brokers where I could potentially auto-trade with scripts.
2) I expected pretty smooth operation of everything, with easily available guides on how things are linked together - and that things would be linked together
3) I also expected a competent support setup.

Unfortunately I think I wasted my money.
1) I haven't investigated yet, because I don't have a broker I can link to it.

2) is absent
3) is absent

The screeners aren't explained fully, and often don't appear to work properly.
Volume doesn't doesn't work in the filters. It might show Volume "100" if you add that as a column. 100 what? Any low figure I enter into the low end of the filter box, doesn't get respected.
Even with no active filters other than are/exchange, one minute you get 6 names, then a page, then two names, then several pages, as it does its 10 second updates. I have very fast internet.
The "chat" seems to be a waste fo time. Nobody's questions - often about the multiple failings - are answered.
There are different sections of Chat, but they don't cover everything by any means. I haven't seen one which addresses, "How can I use TV do do this?".
Support tickets get ignored (two weeks and counting) or don't have useful answers.
No live chat.
There's nowhere you can look things up with a search term - Enter "brokers" into the Chat search and you get absolutely nothing.
There are multiple comments in Broker chats that if you use TV with a broker, you get far worse spreads than if you used the broker's own platform. In one case, several times worse.

I asked on the IBKR forum and was told it was a waste of time :(.

So, some pretty charts but otherwise it's rubbish?

[OTOH I had a cheap test run of Trade Ideas, which is a massively different experience. It's just too expensive for me, at (with the bells and whistles) several hundred bucks a month.]

Try looking on TV for Suzuki in Japan. It finds nothing.
Eh?
Some time later (market was still shut) it popped up.

Last edited:
Tell me if I'm wrong:
here's a TradingView screener row and chart for Daido steel, Japan, (5471) with 12.81% going back a while.
I can't find a description of what exactly TradingView screener numbers mean , but I assume It's saying it went up 12.81% in the last minute, 5mins, day, week etc, which is swallowing anything it rose by in the last month.

That could be the amount it has risen by in the last month, but all the shorter period columns are wrong. The blue rectangle is 5.97% high and the chart goes back a few days. It appears to be just junk, to me.

Ignore the 6201 row.

Daido steel rubbish data 1.png

Hi cara2
I think by now all T2W members are pretty clear about where you stand with regards to TradingView!
:cool:
I suggest you either adapt your approach to the platform from one of 'it's sh!te' to one of 'there are issues here and there but I'll find ways around them' or, if you can't do that, cut your losses and move on to some other charting software better suited to your needs.

It's as well to remember the old marketing adage of 'Quality / Service / Price: you can have two out of the three, but you can't ever have all three'. If - as appears to be the case - you want a top notch product supported by top notch service - you're gonna have to fork out for it big time. Have a look at the likes of eSignal or Linnsoft/InvestorRT. The latter is by far and away the best software I've ever used - but that was over a decade ago - so I've no idea what they're like now.
Tim.

Well it costs about 600 a year for Premium level, which I'm paying for, albeit on a discount day. They take several days to "answer" support queriess , where their clear intent is to fob you off. My FREE trading platform has a useful Bot, and people as well - (though they don't know much about the platform.)
TV should be able to get their screeners working - that's just about getting the software right.
There is no forum - like this one in format, and you can't look anything up anywhere.
SO how many am I getting out of the three?
Quality: Too poor to use, should do better,
Service: Inadequate / None
Price - same as the one you mentioned.

Well it costs about 600 a year for Premium level, which I'm paying for, albeit on a discount day. They take several days to "answer" support queriess , where their clear intent is to fob you off. My FREE trading platform has a useful Bot, and people as well - (though they don't know much about the platform.)
TV should be able to get their screeners working - that's just about getting the software right.
There is no forum - like this one in format, and you can't look anything up anywhere.
I struggle to sympathise with you cara as most of what you're complaining about you could have discovered on the free version without paying a bean. TV works fine for me and, judging by the lack of replies, you can conclude that most others on here that use it are happy(ish) with it too. Like I say, if you're not prepared to get to grips with it - cut your losses and move on to something that works for you - moaning about it won't get you anywhere!
Merry Christmas.
;)

It works fine for charting, trading is an afterthought so very mediocre, the screener is ok ish depending on what you want.
there’s much better trading software and screeners but they’re also more expensive.
overall if your main use is charting TV is a good option specially due to their mobile apps.

you paid for it already so try to make the best out of it and next year maybe look into something like tc2000

I hate to say it Cara, im completely with @timsk
Trading View, whether you think you are not getting what you expected, are very clear on what is part of premium, and what isnt
As Tim says, its not enhanced chat, its not a better screener other than it refreshes more often and includes intraday. Its all pretty clear to me
It also doesnt say it comes with a manual.
What trading view did let you do is allowed anyone to do their own due diligence. in fact they give you all the time in the world to do that due diligence whilst using their product. It feels to me that you didnt. A very inexpensive lesson if you ask me
when someone says 70% off with a limited amount of time, you take your time

for my own experience with trading view, yes i love it. i have a paid for charting package but the first thing i load is trading view. but i dont use it for chatting, because its a charting package. an intuitive, very user friendly one at that. and i have never needed to call their helpdesk.

Those things you mention aren't tthe problem.
I hadn't used it much, so I hadn't realised how many holes it has in it - like the one shown above. It has loads of others.
The free version only has one chart at a time iirc, and very few price alerts, so it wasn't really very useful as general purpose.
It has bells and whistles - sure if you don't use them you wouldn't be interested in exactly what they do or how they work - perhaps you don't use those parts of the program so you don't need to find out about them.
The Screener's a pretty basic function, though, one of TV's main "products". The screener has failed me several times, with wrong information such as depicted above, and other faults. It really ought to work 100%, very nearly. It doesn't. If that doesn't bother you, I can only say you're easier to please than I am!
I'm not complaining because I paid for it specifically. It's not OK for it be be shoddy just because I could have found out before. I expected that a product with versions costing up to £6000 pa would get the basics right.

when someone says 70% off with a limited amount of time, you take your time
Well there wasn't time - it was only a day or so when I saw it. The opposite -.

So you paid for a charting package when you already had (free) TV, which is a charting package? Sounds like it wasn't all that good then.
I don't open TV first because my free trading platform shows me more charts on a screen than TV. You have to pay more to get more.

It would be a bit much to expect TV to be as solid and well furnished as something from Adobe or Microsoft, even if the latter two do do vastly more, and are cheaper. It's not unreasonable to expect it to be more defined, supported and and bug free, than a free trading platform. But it's not.

If you've never had to call them, can you tell me what the mentioned volume "100" means or where I can find the description? It may be in a video somewhere, but looking it up would be far more appropriate. I can submit a ticket but it could take a week and get a dumb response. On the free trading platform I use you can ask the bot and it tells you all that.
Testimony to some of the inadequacies is the number and extent of privately made youtube videos which are available.

Last edited:
So you paid for a charting package when you already had (free) TV, which is a charting package. Sounds like it wasn't all that good then.
Not quite. I still use a charting package, because TV doesnt provide all market data. I need that data
when i want a look at whats happening on a day to day basis. I use TV. i have both open right now, they each provide a purpose
to all your other points, the same applies as before, you have had time to decide whether one chart at a time is appropriate and required more. whether 2 indicators is enough or need more. THEY should be your reasons for calling support, because the premium is supposedly more than 2 indicators but you're not getting what trading view are claiming. ie it isnt doing what it says on the tin

WRT to 100 and volume, care to elaborate and perhaps i can help?

as for youtube..buddy.you tube will have opinions both good and bad. I decide what i consider good and bad about a product and couldnt give a monkeys what someone else thinks especially if its in their interest to post any old sh!te

you have had time to decide whether one chart at a time is appropriate and required more
You're missing the point a bit,. I knew all about the number of charts. The issue is nothing to do with the number of charts, that's just a limitation it applies. I get 8 which will do but the option of more is better , I find.. TV looked OK in many ways from when I'd used it. I assumed an up-to-£6000pa product would get the basics right. It doesn't, as I found and have shown. Whether I had time to find out its shortcomings or not, or should have therefore known about them, doesn't make the product OK.
I hadn't found much commentary about TV, such as this.
The youtubes I refer to aren't for opinions, they're for information and descriptons of how the thing works which are missing, from TV themselves. I don't watch "any old sh!te".

Volume "100" is typical of what the screener shows. I'm not surprised you use another product .

ON
n the screener

The only place Volume shows, isn't it?

Another endearing feature of TV - on one small 20" monitor I have,
Th text starts melting. Parts of the screen are sharp, but parts are like this: check those headings
1703681833936.png

If you wave your mouse around over it, it sharpens up. They (TV) know about this one, they said (after 4 days) make sure the screen is at 100%. Yep, it's at 100%. That patch of the screen is 160mm or so across.
I''ve never known any program do that.
While you're looking at the results, market closed, it's updating every 10 seconds as normal. You might have a list of 6 instruments.
But then you get another half dozen, and then they go again. Market is closed so nothing apart from the $/£ is changing.
It turned out to be the Market cap filter. It's flaky, perhaps you never used it. These were all big companies (2BN + ) and the minimum was set to 300M, which is small.
When I cleared the filter completely I got all 12.
Whaaaaat???

Attachments

• 1703681546187.png
    1703681546187.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 10
im beginning to see why support doesnt bother responding! the pixels on your monitor, thats not a trading view issue
My display is absolutely perfect, on large and small screen. the issue is not TV

Now, back to volume and "100"
please dont tell me you are asking what does 130 means, 25,548, 856, 600 etc etc under the column that display those numbers?
1703684677893.png

Obviously they couldn't sell the product if the text were always degraded like I showed. I said it wasn't always like that. But it happens. It shouldn't happen. It isn't "the pixels on my monitor". I don't know what you think that means.
The problem is a TradingView issue, which they recognise happens under certain circumstances.
It's their feed. They offered a workaround, which in my case didn't help. It's fine my other monitors.
Just because you don't see a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. OK?
It's not a reason to get insulting.

On other errors of theirs which I've asked about, they've replied saying their chart is wrong and it's "strange". In other words they aren't competent to know, or fix it.

Well done for finding volume, which from your previous remarks, I wonder if you've ever looked at before.
If I ask you what that 130 means, you won't be able to tell me with any authority. I can think of several things it could be. I can guess but I may be wrong - I shouldn't have to.

If I ask you what that 130 means, you won't be able to tell me with any authority
Oh i beg to differ
You shouldn't be trading at all Cara, or spending money on trading products until you begin to understand the very basics of what it is you are getting into. It shouldnt take long. But I do wish you the very best.

I see you'd rather be derisive than helpful. Not a good look.
Is your confidence as high as it was on the other things you got wrong? Or you just don't have a clue?

Do you belong in any forum? So far you've proven you can be rude and get things wrong and have your bad language edited by forum admin..

Last edited:
I see you'd rather be derisive than helpful. Not a good look.
Is your confidence as high as it was on the other things you got wrong?
I'm not being derisive at all. I'm just thinking of you.
you have already said "i wouldn't be able to tell you with any authority". well then, clearly i cant help you and id be wasting my time trying. honestly, you'll get there.

You were - apparently you don't understand that either. You got everything else wrong so far, while thinking you're right, while getting so unpleasant your post had to be moderated. Rude unhelpful people who get everyhing wrong aren't welcome on any forum so yes, run along, son.

It works fine for charting, trading is an afterthought so very mediocre, the screener is ok ish depending on what you want.
there’s much better trading software and screeners but they’re also more expensive.
overall if your main use is charting TV is a good option specially due to their mobile apps.

you paid for it already so try to make the best out of it and next year maybe look into something like tc2000
Thanks, constructive and useful. Sorry I missed your post. I've noticed people online seem to use TV for only the charts. Answers and discussion on IBKR aren't too complimentary. Just a 5 minute portion of Fisker's rise today paid for it - it's about the quality not the money. I wonder how many pay 6k for the version.
Yes I've seen TC2000, it looks good - Brian Shannon, the AVWAP man, uses it. AVWAP is useful and also not well provided for on TV.
The one which the "Humbled Trader" lady uses looks good, too.
Trade Ideaas is a lot more than a screener, but it's very competently designed, built and documented. I'll get to that some time. Pricey though, the AVWAP option is an extra for the pro version, costing an additional 30 bucks a month iirc (just for one indicator). It makes TV look a bit like something a spotty yoof hacked out.
One option is to usse IBKR (or maybe Pepperstone) as a broker and data provider (paid of course) and let TV use the data.
IBKR isn't ideal, but the broker choice in the UK is limited compared with the US, where you get TD Ameritrade, ThinkOrSwim, Webull (fuller version) and a few others.

Robinhood is due to make an appearance in the UK, which at least will be a downward price pressure.

I'm jealous of a bespoke prop shop platform online where a guy added 25%, 50% , 75% and 90% "outs" in about one second each, and can do other smart things with equal speed..