Do not use Finspreads-detailed reasons why

bootsyjam

Ok, these are well documented reasons why not:
1) The platform is hugely unstable. You will be kicked out many times in a day, and will not be able to log back in. No other spreadbetting site does this. I think I've been kicked out 8 times today-and it's 12.45pm.
2) Their spreads are usually the widest in the market.
3) Their order filling is appalling
4) They will suspend markets when moves are happening, so if in a winning trade you can't exit, and in a losing trade, you get nailed with even bigger losses.
5) Dealer services on the telephone is awful

And now I have even more worrying (and detailed) reasons why. It is always stated that Finspreads do not bet against clients-they don't care if you win etc. This has always been treated with a pinch of salt by many, and I now know why.

I shorted a share on the September contract- non guaranteed Stop loss of 850p. The share would swing wildly on the opening-managed to make it all the way to 840 after opening around 790 a few times, but never crossed my stop loss. But guess what. I was stopped out TWICE. ANd at what price? 850? NO!! At 880p!! The price never even got near these levels, let alone crossed the stop loss, but it still closed me out! The bet had to be reinstated twice. Alarm bells were already ringing for me on this one-that the system was so inaccurate, and that I had to check very carefully if my trades were actually being executed properly. If you do this for a living like I do, it's hard enough to pick what is going to make you money. To then factor in that the spread betting company you use is actively, unfairly or inaccurately trying to take your money on top of this is unacceptable.

You could say this was an isolated incident, but 1 week later (today and yesterday in fact)-something occurred that has made me realise that Finspreads is simply not wanting to let the punter win, and will actively do everything in it's power to this end.
I was long a share (September contract)-it got involved in the periphery of some bid speculation and it shot up. Fell quite sharply the next day, so I placed a limit order to catch any quick market movements to the upside to lock in profits. Will guess what, the price spike happened, and guess what, the order was not filled, and the market was suspended. Fair enough you might say, and so would I.
BUT!!
The market graph clearly showed this spike had occurred. I reloaded the graph a few hours later and guess what? The spike had disappeared??!! It never happened according to the new chart-price history was rewritten! The price would not have been suspended with the chart that was now showing because there were no fast market conditions!!
After finally speaking to a trader (they were too busy for the first 6 hours to help me)-I got this reason. Sometimes the price spikes, and it is unrelated to real market prices, so the contract is suspended while this is checked. Of course, prices are also susoended when a price moves fairly too, so it's nice to know they have themselves covered in all eventualities.
This pricing issue raises another point. How is it that a share price can swing over 15% on Finspreads system prices, and be completely wrong? Essentially, the market graphs, info and market making conditions that Finspreads were supplying were totally inaccurate, hence I was making a decision on my limit order using totally wrong prices.

So the bottom line is this, Finspreads' system will regularly quote the wrong price. If it is in their favour, it appears that this price will be used to make them money. If it is against them, markets will be suspended so no-one to capitalise on them.
Even if you can argue that there is no bias and order execution is done at random (although the evidence to the contrary certainly mounts up over the years doesn't it?), Finspreads basically quotes incorrect prices, and will act on them as and when they want to.
Putting these two incidents together has meant that I think that Finspreads are, at best incompetent, and at worst, manipulating prices and orders to ensure that punters lose.
Avoid them at all costs.

Eight times shut out, you say? I've been on Footsie and III all morning and closed out trades when I wanted. The Spread on Footsie is 2 points, on III around 4 points. III gave me 15 points this morning.

I am finding their fills a bit slow but cannot compare them with other SB firms. I suspect that they are all much the same.

Split

1) The platform is hugely unstable. You will be kicked out many times in a day, and will not be able to log back in. No other spreadbetting site does this. I think I've been kicked out 8 times today-and it's 12.45pm.
4) They will suspend markets when moves are happening, so if in a winning trade you can't exit, and in a losing trade, you get nailed with even bigger losses.

And now I have even more worrying (and detailed) reasons why. It is always stated that Finspreads do not bet against clients-they don't care if you win etc. This has always been treated with a pinch of salt by many, and I now know why.

I shorted a share on the September contract- non guaranteed Stop loss of 850p. The share would swing wildly on the opening-managed to make it all the way to 840 after opening around 790 a few times, but never crossed my stop loss. But guess what. I was stopped out TWICE. ANd at what price? 850? NO!! At 880p!! The price never even got near these levels, let alone crossed the stop loss, but it still closed me out! The bet had to be reinstated twice. Alarm bells were already ringing for me on this one-that the system was so inaccurate, and that I had to check very carefully if my trades were actually being executed properly. If you do this for a living like I do, it's hard enough to pick what is going to make you money. To then factor in that the spread betting company you use is actively, unfairly or inaccurately trying to take your money on top of this is unacceptable.

You could say this was an isolated incident, but 1 week later (today and yesterday in fact)-something occurred that has made me realise that Finspreads is simply not wanting to let the punter win, and will actively do everything in it's power to this end.
I was long a share (September contract)-it got involved in the periphery of some bid speculation and it shot up. Fell quite sharply the next day, so I placed a limit order to catch any quick market movements to the upside to lock in profits. Will guess what, the price spike happened, and guess what, the order was not filled, and the market was suspended. Fair enough you might say, and so would I.
BUT!!
The market graph clearly showed this spike had occurred. I reloaded the graph a few hours later and guess what? The spike had disappeared??!! It never happened according to the new chart-price history was rewritten! The price would not have been suspended with the chart that was now showing because there were no fast market conditions!!
After finally speaking to a trader (they were too busy for the first 6 hours to help me)-I got this reason. Sometimes the price spikes, and it is unrelated to real market prices, so the contract is suspended while this is checked. Of course, prices are also susoended when a price moves fairly too, so it's nice to know they have themselves covered in all eventualities.
This pricing issue raises another point. How is it that a share price can swing over 15% on Finspreads system prices, and be completely wrong? Essentially, the market graphs, info and market making conditions that Finspreads were supplying were totally inaccurate, hence I was making a decision on my limit order using totally wrong prices.

So the bottom line is this, Finspreads' system will regularly quote the wrong price. If it is in their favour, it appears that this price will be used to make them money. If it is against them, markets will be suspended so no-one to capitalise on them.
Even if you can argue that there is no bias and order execution is done at random (although the evidence to the contrary certainly mounts up over the years doesn't it?), Finspreads basically quotes incorrect prices, and will act on them as and when they want to.
Putting these two incidents together has meant that I think that Finspreads are, at best incompetent, and at worst, manipulating prices and orders to ensure that punters lose.
Avoid them at all costs.

Are you sure it's not you? Are you a good enough trader? No one knows who tells the truths and who tells the lies on these chat forums, you may work for another SB company, how do i know?

I can vouch for what bootsyjam is saying. Finspreads, by the actions of their interface, fills, tricks etc. . . simply don't want you to win, regardless of what they may advertise to the public. It's all BS pure and simple.

I mean, they could of ironed out all these problems since they have the resources to. When they moved to Flash from java on their interface they claimed it would be faster, more stable etc. . . BS! Quite the reverse actually.

It's time that companies like Finspreads to just come clean and stop f*cking the public about and be honest for a change.

I don't use them, and could not make money with their new interface, which is why I've moved and can start to make money on another platform.

I can vouch for what bootsyjam is saying. Finspreads, by the actions of their interface, fills, tricks etc. . . simply don't want you to win, regardless of what they may advertise to the public. It's all BS pure and simple.

I mean, they could of ironed out all these problems since they have the resources to. When they moved to Flash from java on their interface they claimed it would be faster, more stable etc. . . BS! Quite the reverse actually.

It's time that companies like Finspreads to just come clean and stop f*cking the public about and be honest for a change.

I don't use them, and could not make money with their new interface, which is why I've moved and can start to make money on another platform.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking of this thread and see that it has received a new post.

I do understand that there is some flickering going on with Fins website, which needs attention. But I have made 23 points this morning, trying to spot the bottom of this downtrend.

Two trades and I have entered and closed as I like.

Sorry, you guys will not convince those who are successful. I make bad trades, the same as everyone else, but I know that it is me who is to blame. Anyway, I wish you luck on your new platform.

Split

I confess to feeling exasperated with the times the Finspreads site connection fails on me, especially when I'm putting on a trade, and I don't daytrade. I'm now looking for another SB firm.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking of this thread and see that it has received a new post.

I do understand that there is some flickering going on with Fins website, which needs attention. But I have made 23 points this morning, trying to spot the bottom of this downtrend.

Two trades and I have entered and closed as I like.

Sorry, you guys will not convince those who are successful. I make bad trades, the same as everyone else, but I know that it is me who is to blame. Anyway, I wish you luck on your new platform.

Split

If you want me to hear the whole story, then yes, I did make money with them. That's when I started to get more and more problems, until certain "issues" threw me off balance and f*cked up my state of mind. I was to inexperienced then to learn to control myself, but my point is still valid: Trading is hard as it is without having to deal with the idiosyncratic behaviour of the trading interface. In the end I got sick and tired allowing for this behaviour since it effected how I trade, and those traders who make money trading will know what I mean. It just got too damn intrusive to know at the back of your mind they might decide to pull the plug.

From personal experience all that's true, especially the bit about their new platform.
I gave up on FS a few years ago because they seemed to do everything they could to make life difficult for punters using the site, and then backed it up with poor support.
I had another go with the Flash platform, which as you say was even worse and had an uncanny ability to crash at exactly the worng moment (for customers). I pointed out that they were effectively letting punters use their own money to do software development. FS didn't seem to be bothered, so I just withdrew the balance and went elsewhere.
Most of the other SB cos do make some attempt to be fair, so it's surprising Fatspreads have any customers left by now.

From personal experience all that's true, especially the bit about their new platform.
I gave up on FS a few years ago because they seemed to do everything they could to make life difficult for punters using the site, and then backed it up with poor support.
I had another go with the Flash platform, which as you say was even worse and had an uncanny ability to crash at exactly the worng moment (for customers). I pointed out that they were effectively letting punters use their own money to do software development. FS didn't seem to be bothered, so I just withdrew the balance and went elsewhere.
Most of the other SB cos do make some attempt to be fair, so it's surprising Fatspreads have any customers left by now.

I've just closed Footsie out at 1037 for 5937. Filled in 2 seconds max. This fall gave me 63 points. I cannot argue with what you say but, neither, can I justify myself by going somewhere else!

Split

Ive been using IG Index... be weary of these guys. The live data is pretty good, however they seem to be touting this new "Pure Deal" platform - and its still a bit buggy.

On a day trade last week, I tried to sell before it dropped any more and the Java buttons on the site decided not to respond. I have had this problem on my Mac and Windows box... and IG Index take no responsibility for it, even though one of their guys on the phone told me that because Pure Deal was new there are a few bugs.

Ive been using IG Index... be weary of these guys. The live data is pretty good, however they seem to be touting this new "Pure Deal" platform - and its still a bit buggy.

On a day trade last week, I tried to sell before it dropped any more and the Java buttons on the site decided not to respond. I have had this problem on my Mac and Windows box... and IG Index take no responsibility for it, even though one of their guys on the phone told me that because Pure Deal was new there are a few bugs.

I want to be honest, I pressed the wrong button and shorted III yesterday, on Fins. I wish I had stayed in but my reaction was to correct and, I admit, I had a job to close. It took long time and cost me a couple of points more than it should have.

This morning I have been in and out of SP500, no problems.

Split

I started to get more and more problems, until certain "issues" threw me off balance and f*cked up my state of mind.But my point is still valid: Trading is hard as it is without having to deal with the idiosyncratic behaviour of the trading interface. It just got too damn intrusive to know at the back of your mind they might decide to pull the plug.[/QUOTE]

Temptrader: I couldn't have put it better myself. I trade on various shares/markets, and I work hard to keep track. Add on the fact that you then can't trust the spread betting company and it adds another layer of complexity, and let's face it, they're vital as that is how you make your money.
Splitlink-if you trade one market then maybe it's easier to keept track of things.
Paul71: I know where you're coming from-it is smoke and mirrors on this site. I can only say that I'm a trader with a couple of years experience. I use them becasue they have the smallest bet sizes for highly liquid markets, and good charting, but I'm looking elsewhere now.

bootsyjam,

My point is that they are all the same and there is no point in changing. Do you follow CS thread? They are capable of messing about with the accounts without telling the client one month after they discovered an error. The error was obvious, it was 7000 quid. IMO, it should have been discovered the same day. So, if they discover an error of a few points and "correct" it i.e. remove it, who is going to argue over a couple of points?

I reckon that, wherever you go, there will be disatisfaction at some point. Fins is my third spreadbetting account. I'm unlikely to change as long my accounts are kept straight. If I do, it will be to a broker.

If I do, it will be to a broker.

Even that is no guarantee of quality. I experienced more errors, dismal customer service and bare-faced profiteering from Barclays Stockbrokers, than I have from any spreadbetting firm including the lamentable Finspreads.

Even that is no guarantee of quality. I experienced more errors, dismal customer service and bare-faced profiteering from Barclays Stockbrokers, than I have from any spreadbetting firm including the lamentable Finspreads.

You are right, there! Their example of how to make a lot of money trading CFDs shows that they pass the deal to a spreadbetting firm, for a small fee, no doubt.

Split

Barclays Stockbrokers CFDs is a trading name of City Index . You'll get exactly the same service as you would from City Index.

Barclays Stockbrokers CFDs is a trading name of City Index . You'll get exactly the same service as you would from City Index.

Sure. My experience is with equities directly through their stockbroking arm, not their white-label CFD offering. At the time I was working for an institution who required us to have registered accounts with a set list of brokers, sadly Barclays was the only UK based one or I would have moved much sooner.

BUT!!

Avoid them at all costs.

Agree with all this I started trading a couple of years ago and had all the above mentioned problems even at low stakes, platform always down on payrolls day or any fast action for that matter. This years mini crash in Febuary I was lucky I was not short or long, the platform was down all night, (well as soon as the dow started to bounce) phones were down they said they were having tek problems, I Closed account next morning.

I do not object in any way to any spreadbetting firm protecting themselves in fast running markets etc but customers should be able to access phone or internet in order to close out win or lose positions, if a genuine fault happens and phones are undermanned the the firm should lay the risk and make reasonable settlements to those affected.

I see no problem with a no more bets at this time screen appearing as long as customers in can at least access their open positions and place get out orders etc

I was not in market so cannot comment on what action they took with customers who were short/long in the market that night and probably well in the money when Finspreads started to experience tek problems.

Stops do get tripped if the market gets close, I think they just hope to get away with it, I objected and sent them a screenshot (a lot of hassle and puts you on tilt) they put me back in the market about ten minutes later with me brain in bits, the dealer shrugged and said ye mate it was a bad fill, it was 5 points away at a tenner a point !

Stay clear, alright if you want to take advantage of penny a point training

I can confirm the above is very accurate, you can still use old platform but they are experiencing server errors to, they confirmed you can use Firefox etc etc and told me the fault is limited to a few customers, but I found it does not fix problem.

The server error takes out all open windows and I cant even get back on line without re-setting router. Conclusion their good data is more pain than its worth at the moment. :(