Disseration on influence of social media on financial markets, opinions appreciated

Andys1809

My name is Andy Sterling and I’m a 3rd year business student at the University of Lincoln. I am investigating the impact of social media on personal investment and financial markets.

It would be of great benefit to me if you would be able to give your view on the following short questions, which shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
Thank you in anticipation of your help.

1. How does social media influence the stock market?

2. How has access to and use of social media influenced the way your investments are conducted?

3. How important do you think social media will be in the future? And why?

4. Which form of social media is the most useful and why?

5. Approximately to what degree do you use social media compared to other tools, such as brokers, for your investment?

6. How important do you feel social media marketing campaigns are in influencing financial markets? (Can you think of any particularly effective examples?)

Thank you very much for your time

It would be of great benefit to me if you would be able to give your view on the following short questions, which shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
Hi Andy,
I'll play. This is just my opinion mind, which could be very misguided. it's not based on anything more than that . . .

Probably not much in terms of daily volume or what gets bought and sold, as the bulk of transactions are conducted by pension funds, hedge funds and investment banks etc. and they are limited to what they trade and certainly won't make snap decisions based on something they're read on Twitter.

2. How has access to and use of social media influenced the way your investments are conducted?
Me personally - not at all.

Not sure what you're asking here? In general terms, I expect it to evolve and Facebook and Twitter etc. will be replaced by whatever comes next. Why? Because that's the way these things generally work, IMO. In trading terms, increasing numbers of traders who don't know how to trade appear to think the holy grail is following someone else who's managed to convince them that they do know how to trade. I imagine that social media plays a key part of that.

It depends on what you use and why you use it. I only use community forums like this one, as I enjoy and benefit from the more in depth discussions that are catered for here and aren't found on other types of social media.

5. Approximately to what degree do you use social media compared to other tools, such as brokers, for your investment?
If you include this forum as social media, I use it for educational purposes only, I wouldn't make any trading decisions based on what I read here or copy trades made by other members.

6. How important do you feel social media marketing campaigns are in influencing financial markets? (Can you think of any particularly effective examples?)
They may well be utilised by boiler rooms wanting to pump 'n dump stocks at the bottom end. I'm not aware of big companies using social media to bolster their own share price or dent that of their competitors. That said, I expect they try!

Tim.

My name is Andy Sterling and I’m a 3rd year business student at the University of Lincoln. I am investigating the impact of social media on personal investment and financial markets.

Thank you very much for your time

231/5000

Easy and daily access is one of the effects.
In my opinion, everything will be in the future because they are very involved.
Instagram and YouTube, because the audience is more focused on them. Check here
In most cases, I work with them.

Last edited by a moderator: