Difference between Spread betting and CFDs

The journey: (past Binary betting)-spread betting-CFD's-Futures-Options-SpotFX

Why because you begin to realise that your SP or CFD counterparty is risky and you find that your activities are liable for income tax.

Why a limited company because once you lose retail client status you have unlimited downside and need to cap that. Why options because you want to hedge your risk at times.

Amazing how many come out of the wood work for these tax threads just shows most don't get professional advice but rather justify themselves by links to HMRC content, I guess that what separates the amateur from the professional: DIY investors.

Best option for tax free investing is to max out an ISA each year and trade AIM penny shares.

MoneyAdviceService is a government website of the Department for Work and Pensions and would not be giving false advice.

Independent accountants give professional unbiased advice...try it. Rather than feel protected by the mass of punters who think for themselves because it's in there own interest.

Why is there no GAMESTOP and gambling aware on spread betting sites its because they differ from sports betting shops.
I think that if I am ever challenged by HMRC I would prefer to refer them to their own rulings and advice.

You guys have just put J.P. Morgan, GS, Citi and all the major wealth managers out of business why would any sensible HNWI invest in CFD's or the underlying when they can just choose their favourite spread bet provider and invest tax free 👏🏼 👏🏼 👏🏼

The investment banks provide credit lines to the retail brokers. They profit hugely. They all work together.

Can any spreadbetter paying tax on their profits please step forward? Then we can settle this.

In the other corner, I'm happy to declare that I have made SB profits exceeding the annual income tax threshold, with no other income......... but I still didn't pay any tax.

So people should take advice and base there finances off of what random people on the internet are saying.

So people should take advice and base there finances off of what random people on the internet are saying.
I'm not a random person, I have personal experience of the UK tax system as it relates to SB. I have made in excess of the income tax threshold using SB alone, and with no other income, and yet have paid no tax..

Of course, if someone would like to step up who HAS paid income tax on SB profits, or ANY tax for that matter, then maybe this dumb discussion could move a little further forward.

All the traders I have known have never had spread betting terminals on there screens. Why would these traders not spread bet considering they could do it tax free in your world.

All the traders I have known have never had spread betting terminals on there screens. Why would these traders not spread bet considering they could do it tax free in your world.
got to say, im stumped. The depths of this conversation is staggering
because traders you know dont have spreadbetting on their screens, thats your tax advice
fist pump emoji for being officially the most dogged individual today
wear a cap 0FX with a big D, and feel proud

Why not ask them? I'm sure they have valid reasons for their choice.

You have to remember that different instruments suit different strategies and circumstances. Spreadbetting does not win hands down on every case; 'don't let the tax tail wag the dog'.

Why would any trader go for prop funding when they could just sit home and trade tax free on the global spread bet market.

I remember a prominent trader in the City saying he was proud when breaching the higher tax threshold. I guess he must not have seen the ads for spread betting companies on the city taxi cabs?!

Regularly the global spread bet markets grind to a halt as the providers have outages just check the twitter feeds of these firms and you will see the mob of angry punters unable to trade. This is one reason they are not used. There is also no anonymity on your trades as they are market makers.

There are probably several good reasons why the traders you have known might use another form of market access than SB.

But this does not prove that SB is taxable, which is all I'm interested in.

Spread betting is tax free for the average punter. If you take trading seriously you're better off with the right CFD provider because you can't hide from the HMRC with your spread bet product *all the SB sites say based on individual circumstances

Spread betting is tax free for the average punter. If you take trading seriously you're better off with the right CFD provider because you can't hide from the HMRC with your spread bet product *all the SB sites say based on individual circumstances
You still hold to the idea that SB profits are taxable. But you have no personal experience of the situation and no evidence for your belief except hearsay.

You seem to have known many traders - can you not convince even one of them to resolve this issue?

Depends on the person's strategy. If it relies on having the order book, volume, time and sales, tight spreads and so on then both CFDs and Spread betting will be useless.

Taxable
- Provide a service alongside your trading activity
- Trading is of economic substance
- Living off profits made

Use sense if people where allowed to trade a product that mirrors the financial markets tax free under all circumstances the industry would be huge. Its a niche industry with have a go heroes who have not structured there business yet if there consistent. I cant think of a single sensible trader who would classify themselves as a professional client without a ltd to cover the unlimited losses.

Taxable
- Provide a service alongside your trading activity
- Trading is of economic substance
- Living off profits made

Use sense if people where allowed to trade a product that mirrors the financial markets tax free under all circumstances the industry would be huge. Its a niche industry with have a go heroes who have not structured there business yet if there consistent. I cant think of a single sensible trader who would classify themselves as a professional client without a ltd to cover the unlimited losses.
There several good reasons why some people register a limited company and several good reasons why others don't.

None of this proves SB is taxable which is all I'm interested in.

Amazing how many come out of the wood work for these tax threads just shows most don't get professional advice but rather justify themselves by links to HMRC content, I guess that what separates the amateur from the professional: DIY investors.

Best option for tax free investing is to max out an ISA each year and trade AIM penny shares.

MoneyAdviceService is a government website of the Department for Work and Pensions and would not be giving false advice.

Independent accountants give professional unbiased advice...try it. Rather than feel protected by the mass of punters who think for themselves because it's in there own interest.

Why is there no GAMESTOP and gambling aware on spread betting sites its because they differ from sports betting shops.
lol, you don't need additional professional advice when the guidelines on Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs website covers it. What part of Spreadbetting being tax free don't you understand? is it the carrying of the trade definition? Because outside of this clause its black and white.