Spread betting versus CFDs

Ciraric

Hi Guys,

I'm currently practising with some demo accounts, looking to develop a feel for the mechanics and all rather than reading it in a book.

The main reason for my question above (Spread betting versus CFDs) is mainly due to some research I am doing with regards to tax status.

As I'm UK based, it seems to me that I should always choose spread betting over CFDs as the former are free of all taxes while the latter would be subject to Capital Gains Tax on profits.

My actual question is twofold:
1) Mechanically Spread betting and CFDs are very alike, am I missing something here?
2) It appears to be quite difficult to actually ascertain whether the account is spread betting or trading CFDs? Again I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Guys,
My actual question is twofold:
1) Mechanically Spread betting and CFDs are very alike, am I missing something here?
2) It appears to be quite difficult to actually ascertain whether the account is spread betting or trading CFDs? Again I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

The only difference between trading CFD's and spreadbet is the nature of the instrument. I am actually not 100% sure on this, but I believe that spreadbets are a product by a broker, where the price is based on the underlying instrument - however where the broker is more able to manipulate the price should they wish to do so. CFD's are instruments where the brokers links you through to liquidity providers in the real market of the instrument. As I said I am not 100% sure on this, so somebody may be able to shed light on this.

However in terms of trading the instrument - meaning your technical analysis for whether you want to buy/sell, and at which level etc - should be exactly the same regardless whether you are doing cfd's or spreadbets.

Your second question has an easy answer. The application forms should make it crystal clear whether you are applying for CFD or spreadbet. If it's not, ask your potential broker to check.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response.

The problem I've got is that I feel more comfortable with CFDs but I can't tell why.

Anyway, I'm unlikely to make more than the Capital Gains Tax Allowance (£10,100) so it's not too much of an issue.

So far on my demo account I've been taking far too much risk but have achieved a 10% a day return. This is mostly trading the DAX and Nasdaq.

If I do move to a real account I think I would pare it down to by a factor of 5 so would be lucky to archive a 1-2% daily return, which from what I understand isn't bad and would mean that it would take more than just one bad trade to wipe me out!

. . . So far on my demo account I've been taking far too much risk but have achieved a 10% a day return. This is mostly trading the DAX and Nasdaq.

If I do move to a real account I think I would pare it down to by a factor of 5 so would be lucky to archive a 1-2% daily return, which from what I understand isn't bad and would mean that it would take more than just one bad trade to wipe me out!
Hi Ciraric,
Most brokers - if not all of them - that offer spread betting accounts also offer CFD accounts. Likewise, they offer good instruction (videos and descriptions etc.) so that prospective customers can understand the differences and can make an informed choice as to which type of account is best for them. Besides that, this FAQ might help: What are the Pros and Cons of Spread Betting Vs CFDs?

In terms of whether your demo account is a spread betting one or a CFD one, take a look at any of your Dax trades. If you're trading at £1.00 per point and you have a winning trade of 30 points, then your equity balance will increase by £30.00. The same thing will apply to your Nasdaq trades. If it's a CFD account, it won't do this as you'll be trading in the currency of the underlying instrument - i.e. euros for the Dax and U.S. dollars for the Nadaq and then converting to GBP £s.

Of far greater importance than whether you trade via spread bets of CFDs is your risk management strategy. If you're making 10% a day, then you're almost certainly waaaaaaay over leveraged, i.e. you're trading at a much larger stake size than your account will tolerate. If it only takes one bad trade to blow up your account - then this is guaranteed to happen. No ifs, no buts, it's simply a question of time. I recommend you keep your leverage to similar levels that a direct market access broker would require if you traded equities, i.e. 3:1 or 4:1 tops. Very roughly, take the Dax as an example which is trading at around the 10,000 mark. If you want to trade with zero leverage, you'll need £10,000 in your account and trade at £1.00 per point, so that if the Dax goes to zero, the most you could possibly lose (assuming you're long) is £10,000. If you only have £2,500 in your account (25% margin), and Dax goes to zero, then your broker will send the heavy mob round to collect your debt of £7,500. As I say, this assumes a trade size of £1.00 per point. If you're trading at £5.00 per point (i.e. increased leverage), then your debt jumps to £47,500!!! The bottom line is this: always, always always look at your risk and what you stand to lose if things go pear shaped and do everything possible to keep your risk to an absolute minimum.

So, as a starting point, I suggest you only trade the Dax at £1.00 per point for every £2.500 in your account. If you have £5,000 then move up to £2.00 per point etc. That may sound conservative, but it's not really. Take 24th August just gone. The high to low range that day was well over 6%, so you could easily have lost £500.00 in a single day. That's 20% of your account at £1.00 per point. At £5.00 per point, it would have been be game over. Lastly, if you've not yet seen it, check out this Sticky: Essentials Of 'Risk & Money Management' .
Tim.

It might be easier to think of shares, both in respect of leverage and the difference between SB and CFD.

For a share to move £1 for each point (point = penny) you need 100 shares (100 x 1p = £1). If the shares are standing at £5 then to buy 100 shares would cost you £500. If you have 5:1 leverage then £100 is reserved from your account as margin. Sounds good but, as Timsk says, fraught with danger.

SBs make up their own prices based on the underlying market price (as do CFD brokers who not offer direct access to the market). Nowadays reputable SBs give pretty close prices with fairly tight spread between buy and sell prices although they do widen those spreads to protect themselves - on the open, for example.

Your CFD broker will charge you commission based as if you had bought the requisite number of shares for your x per point and often has a relatively hefty minimum commission. Your SB broker will not charge you a commission but operates a wider spread between bid and ask (sell price/buy price) to compensate.
Whilst you are betting fairly small x per point SB is much cheaper than paying the minimum commission with CFD. There is a tipping point when you startbetting larger amounts when CFD becomes the cheaper option. You need to do you own maths to work that out when you know your CFD broker's commission rates and your SB broker's usual spread on the instrument you are trading.