Did you make a profit in 2017?

Did you make a profit in the 2017?

• My account grew (profit)

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • My account stayed more or less the same (break-even)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • My account shrunk (loss)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • I didn’t keep a track of all the figures so I’m not sure

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
Good work, that's pretty respectable. What's the basis of your approach?

Trend trading bro. Cut your losses and let your winners run.
I would like to document it on here but it's not easy. If this site can provide a spreadsheet like setting whereby we just input our trades with entry and exit values then it would be easier.
The infrastructure on this site is very basic.

Trend trading bro. Cut your losses and let your winners run.
I would like to document it on here but it's not easy. If this site can provide a spreadsheet like setting whereby we just input our trades with entry and exit values then it would be easier.
The infrastructure on this site is very basic.

If you mean trend-following, we're actually on the same page. People get bored with me banging on about it.

The details are boring but I get into trends using any convenient entry pattern, but not early, I like to see consistent smooth trends before they become a target. I pyramid aggressively - as soon as a winner make profit equivalent to the initial capital risked I add another trade, and keep repeating that and moving stops accordingly (call it grid trading maybe?) until the stop is hit. I cut early losers aggressively - if the initial trade drops to halfway to the SL before a pyramid trade is added, I cut 80% of it: once a second trade has been added, I let them all run come what may.

Main account finished on the right side although I found UK ftse100 shares pretty difficult and they jerked me around a lot.

For the first time in over 30 years I managed to bust a play account and run it to £15 from £3500. I’m too embarassed to tell you about the awful trading involved :eek: . Suffice to say it was about obstinate insistence on the short side despite continuing evidence to the contrary

Main account finished on the right side although I found UK ftse100 shares pretty difficult and they jerked me around a lot.

For the first time in over 30 years I managed to bust a play account and run it to £15 from £3500. I’m too embarassed to tell you about the awful trading involved :eek: . Suffice to say it was about obstinate insistence on the short side despite continuing evidence to the contrary

Aaaargh! Even I haven't donme that for such a long time jon. Are you over that phase?

Hi

I though it might be interesting to see how peeps of the forum did as a group last year in terms of making money (in a real account, not demo). I’ve made up a pretty basic poll here just to get an idea of what proportion made a profit etc. I've kept it anonymous (no one, including me, can see voters usernames) so be honest to get an accurate picture. If you feel you made/lost an “insignificant” amount then its up to you what you call it. Feel free to post any other info in the thread if you wanna share more details.

Enjoy the weekend

K

Here is some new traders like me which couldn't join it in 2017, but with the passage of time we'll earn profit and gain experience about earning from already joined members like you, hopefully experienced members help the new joiners

Were your trades based on pure speculation or were you following a mechanical strategy?

Were your trades based on pure speculation or were you following a mechanical strategy?

I was disciplined on my main account which is mechanically based - primarily 3+ bar retracements - applied with discretion :)

On the disaster of the play account I was fixated on a short scenario and kept seeing short opportunities that turned out not be so, coupled with a lot of indiscipline in taking losses. The moral is that you should trade what you see and not what you think and that you should not bend what you see to suit what you think.

so these are the positions I am currently in.

I am thinking of starting a journal. My style is purely trend based trading and can be in winning trades for weeks and months. Wherelse losing trades no more then a few days. My main trading rule is "Cut your losses, ride your winners till the end of the trend".

My trading hero/role model : Ed Seykota.

Attachments

• trades.PNG
    trades.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 393
Well done to those who had a winning year last year and happy trading in 2018 to all!

So far there have only been 19 people voting which is a disappointing maybe a few people didn't want to vote for some reason?

Anyway so far at least there is a good chunk (of those who voted) showing a green year (y)

Last edited:
In general, I'm satisfied with the previous year results. It's definitely not the amount I would like to get but I already have some profit and I can be proud of myself.

Last year was good for crypto and I earned. But forex trading was negative for me. I lost my account and started again from the last week with small amount. I hope to the better 2018 for me.