Defrag virus?

barjon

Legendary member
Anyone experiencing defrag problems?

Both my windows defrag and Norton speed disc seem to have developed a loop where they keep moving back to the starting point (sorting files) and never progress from there. Because itr's affecting both I suspect some sort of virus but my virus checker isn't picking anything up.

Any ideas? Thanks.

jon

barjon said:
Anyone experiencing defrag problems?

Both my windows defrag and Norton speed disc seem to have developed a loop where they keep moving back to the starting point (sorting files) and never progress from there. Because itr's affecting both I suspect some sort of virus but my virus checker isn't picking anything up.

Any ideas? Thanks.

jon

barjon

I had exactly the same problem with windows defrag. I ran adaware and the problem ceased.

Regards

bracke

bracke

Thanks. Tried that, but no joy I'm afraid. Can you recall if anything odd came up on adaware, or was it just the usual cookies?

regards

jon

barjon said:
bracke

Thanks. Tried that, but no joy I'm afraid. Can you recall if anything odd came up on adaware, or was it just the usual cookies?

regards

jon

Did not pay particular attention. just eliminated the lot.

Regards

bracke

Virus is unlikely if you're running the latest definition files from your AV supplier.

Defrag utilities will restart their cycle if other applications/processes are frequently accessing/writing data to/from the disk (very possible with adware/spyware/data miners), reason being is the latest defrag tools arrange frequently used files to a point on your hard disk which is faster to access and therefore in theory speeding up the apps/files you use the most. To do this Windows keeps a record of the amount a file gets accessed/used, if this record is changing frequently defrag will reset itself.

Best method is to run a defrag after booting your PC safe mode as only the bare minimum of windows processes are loaded therefore limiting disk activity and resulting in a tidier defrag, if you haven't run defrag for a while it's best practise letting it run overnight.

Cheers
Graham

I agree with Darth Trader. Always do defrag while not using the machine and with enough HD space to allow files to be moved around.

Graham

Thanks - you've hit it. Seems to be down to firewall - disabled it and ok.

May the force be with you.

Bluewave - thanks too.

good trading

jon

Glad you sorted it out. Computers are so annoying some (most of the ) times ;)

Try disabling any antivirus software you have when defragmenting your hard drive.

Paul