Dave's Forex trading journal

No posts for a while..mainly because the accounts heading the wrong way and not quite sure whether it was a discipline problem - looking at it I think I was taking too many trades..anyway..

EA's MD now has two trades (both winners ) so seems to be panning out as expected at 1 trade per week. Windfall has only taken one trade. Early morning trades just under breakeven.. account is about 1% down for the month

Intra-day .. this is where my discipline seems to have failed - had a couple of trades that went badly wrong before I managed to put a SL on, then got in to trading based on hope vs reality and let one go 5% down (naturally it then turned round and headed my way), and had a string of trades go against me. So account was well down, now is about 6% in the red

LT - sold GBPCAD again - currently up so have moved stop to BE and hope it goes to profit target - see attached chart

STOP hoping - read some of the FREE threads on T2W and demo until in profit - then trade real cash.
(maybe using cash saved from no longer buying systems)

End of not a good month - both live accounts down, but the demo account keeps ticking up...
Have disabled the early morning Cable EAs - have SW, MD and Windfall running, no plans to change this/add to this unless AFFX EA comes out as this has a good track record to date

Short term account - recovered somewhat as I stopped trying to trade short term but instead mirrored the exact same trades from the longer term demo account setups... so plan to continue this approach (do less of what's not working and more of what is, and all that), and will paper/demo trade intra-day until I am sure I have a consistent winning strategy

Neil - thanks for the comments - the fact that my demo account has been consistently profitable with only a small drawdown for about 5 months (+42% overall) - on which I am trading longer term setups based on price action - but the live accounts are not shows the way for me I think... have no intention of buying any more systems apart from AFFX EA-

One area I find of interest from reading some of the many TW threads is the different approach to stop losses/trailing profits etc - for every approach someone takes issue with it. However one thing that struck me as valid is that moving stops to BE makes no sense, as your entry point mean nothing to the market. SL needs to be kept behind an area of S/R - so you are better off leaving the SL as is and taking 50% off the table than moving SL to an arbitrary BE point, so will be doing this in future.

Will post Monday with any trade setups I can see, with entry/stop/limit and reasons for entry

Ok - Mid November and time to start the journal up again after having read lots, tried to resist temptation to sign up for that one website that promises riches etc..)

EA account - ...this closed at 10% up for October, and is currently around 12% up for November - so would be more than happy of this continues - added the AFFX EA which has just launched, running Cable and Euro on live acct and EJ on demo with different settings to see how it works out for a month

Long term..started concentrating more on 4hr charts - currently in sells on Cable and EJ after break in major support - don't want to take any more trades against the dollar until these play out

ST - sticking to existing trade strategy - look for break of congestion area in 4 hr window then trade in direction of break on 15 min chart when between PP and S1/R1 with entry based on price action, SL 10 pips other side of PP and target 10 pips short of S1/R1. Last 4 trades all came in, plan is to monitor at least 20 such trades to make sure I understand the Win/loss percentage. However no need to make it too complicated and if EA acct and LT can be profitable this strategy may get ditched as it requires a lot more screen time.

Will add some charts for next posting...

Question I ask myself at the moment is, would subscribing to a mentor program at this point be what's needed to get myself faster to a stage of consistent profitability and hence worth it, or just a waste of money ...looking at forexmentor, Neal Fuller and Forexprofessional

End November...haven't been posting much as have gone 'back to the drawing board' on intra-day trading strategies.
EA's had a good month (up 10%) but then added AF this month which has seen such good results to date but which didn't seem to do well, so slightly down for this month (2%).

Intra-day - no trading, looking to get more consistency of trading such that I can increase the overall success rate before starting again - confident I can do this over the quiet period ready to start again in Jan

Long term - opened a separate account for this, demo account has been ticking up nicely so moved this strategy (reversion to trend on 4 hr charts) live - again up a few % for the month. Also started trialling a Fib based LT strategy on the demo account instead. This has seen great success (up about 15% this month) so will stick to this and start to post chart setups if/as they occur next week

ok -after 6 months trying to get some sense in to my trading... I am now planning to keep this journal purely to record trades taken according to a strategy that worked well for me on a demo account. Summary of strategy is:

Follow 6 main currency pairs on a 4 hour candlestick chart
Fib the latest 150+ pip move - mark out 38-63.8% as a retracement zone
once candle closes within this zone, wait for a candle to complete totally outside the 25/75% levels.
If this doesn't happen before another 150+ pip move, change FIb accordingly
If it happens take a trade in the direction of the move - SL 10 pips > daily ATR (or approx 150 pips)
leave trade to run whilst carrying on re-fib as necessary - move stop to BE after 100 pip move
Add to trade if another signal occurs in the same direction. Close out if in opposite direction

That's it - first trade on AUDUSD attached as a sell

Attachments

• audusd-17-8.jpg
    audusd-17-8.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 176
Ok - second trade on the system - EURUSD long. Ended up moving the stop to slightly above BE and was stopped out for 10 pips

Attachments

• eurus-21-8-12.jpg
    eurus-21-8-12.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 160
Ok - next trade 9th September USDCAD - see attached - as you can see I didn't catch this in the first candle to close completely in the zone, but was still in the same area when I did enter.Update 13th September still open - moved stop to BE

Attachments

• usdcad-9-4-12.jpg
    usdcad-9-4-12.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 141
EURUSD long trade - see attached

Update - closed at 1.2970 - getting close to 1.3, overbought and around 4:1 profit so decided was time to exit

Attachments

• eurusd-6-9-12.jpg
    eurusd-6-9-12.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 237
Last trade - looks like I've been busy, but these have all been taken over the last week or so, currently have 2 open trades, one with stop to BE ( a sell on USDCAD), and up slightly on the AUDJPY trade attached

Attachments

• audjpy-12-9-12.jpg
    audjpy-12-9-12.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 321
USDCAD sold 20/9 for +65 pips - moved sl as per strategy and was taken out

Next trade AUDJPY long 12/9 - moved SL to BE and as stopped out20/9

Attachments

• audjpy-12-9-12.jpg
    audjpy-12-9-12.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 219
18/9 short triggered on AUDUSD - as attached

Attachments

• audusd-18-9-12.jpg
    audusd-18-9-12.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 275
Next trade triggered- EURUSD short.
Still in GBPUSD long - Friday's daily candle signified at least a correction and this is what we are getting at the moment.
Still in the AUDUSD sell - few pips up

There was also a long triggered on the USDCAD - but since it is struggling to get past clear resistance I have put in a limit buy order - see attached.

Feels like some trends are starting to reverse..

Attachments

• eurusd-24-9-12.jpg
    eurusd-24-9-12.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 200
  • usdcad-lo-24-9-12.jpg
    usdcad-lo-24-9-12.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 285
Taking another look at the GBPUSD trade - I entered too early - the candle hadn't completed and subsequently didn't close outside the 75% range - so I closed the trade ...need to be more careful ...

The USDCAD limit order has now triggered, and the AUDUSD trade is still open, as is EURUSD - all in slight profit at the moment.

I have just taken a new trade, this time on the EURJPY - slightly lower than normal risk % (2.5% is normal) - as already have a EUR trade open. This had already triggered a valid trade which I missed, but took the trade on the break of a retracement trend line as can be seen on the chart

Attachments

• eurjpy-27-9-12.jpg
    eurjpy-27-9-12.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 249