databases of trading strategies

I think because what you are asking for doesn't exist. If it did it would be a dB full of failed strategies.

I think that is probably the most useful reply here, the idea of some database of some strategies just waiting for you to pick up and make money with is pretty dubious.

While the first reply to the thread perhaps had good intentions it seems a bit optimistic: "I recommend grab the first one you find that sounds rational and demo it until you know why it works but more importantly why it doesn't suit you."

this assumption that some strategy picked at random from some easily available off the shelf list of strategies "works" doesn't seem particularly grounded in reality.

People invest serious time and effort into developing trading strategies and firms employing quants/researchers take a lot of precautions to protect the intellectual property they have. They also continually adjust strategies as markets evolve - as soon as you start to exploit an edge you start to erode it. I'm not sure why you'd expect to find any serious,strategies given away fro free - you might as well just take the money directly out of the wallet of the person providing it to you.

What you might find is a load of subjective stuff that can't be falsified and is pretty much near useless to you, that sort of thing can be shared and has little value and of course anyone sharing it can claim it is all down to the trader etc.. essentially more of a vague framework for someone trading on a discretionary basis.

.......While the first reply to the thread perhaps had good intentions it seems a bit optimistic: "I recommend grab the first one you find that sounds rational and demo it until you know why it works but more importantly why it doesn't suit you."

this assumption that some strategy picked at random from some easily available off the shelf list of strategies "works" doesn't seem particularly grounded in reality.......

A strategy picked at random would be a direct road to disaster if that is what a trader did and if that is what I recommended. However, I specifically suggested selecting a rational strategy and demoing it until it succeeded or failed. This is neither random selection nor random real trading. You might wish to read a little closer in order to better understand what has been said.

I did read that thanks, the part I was focusing on is highlighted in bold and I believe to be rather flawed. You can nit pick re: the amount of randomness involved in simply doing as you suggested and grabbing the first one that "sounds rational" (which is rather subjective in itself) but the point remains regardless - namely that the implicit assumption that such a strategy would work is rather silly and that the whole exercise is likely to be a big waste of time.

I did read that thanks, the part I was focusing on is highlighted in bold and I believe to be rather flawed. You can nit pick re: the amount of randomness involved in simply doing as you suggested and grabbing the first one that "sounds rational" (which is rather subjective in itself) but the point remains regardless - namely that the implicit assumption that such a strategy would work is rather silly and that the whole exercise is likely to be a big waste of time.

You still don't get what I'm saying and that could be my fault but it is partly because its a novel approach in trading, though well known in other fields.

What I say is if you don't know what will definitely work, pick something that looks like it should probably work and run it to test, to destruction if necessary. The useful knowledge to be gained is actually why it doesn't work. The objective is not to find out if it works, nor to alight on the perfect strategy. Having gained this understanding, it will be much more apparent what a more successful strategy would have to look like.

A strategy is a complex of parts, some of which can be working quite well while others fail at the first loading, its not simply like a knife which either cuts or doesn't. But a trader can only understand the significance of the parts and how they relate to each other by using the strategy. Then he can move on to replacing or improving specific parts so that the whole system might better suit his style, psychology, capital etc. Its possible that a poorly performing part in one strategy will work much more effectively when coupled with other new elements in another strategy. And likewise, elements that work well in one combination can fail miserably when paired with wrong elements in another strategy. None of this can be done in theory alone.

I see you've added never altering to reinforce your point..

Well known traders / investors have been making money for years. Yet the masses have never followed. But you are right if 99% did it would effect the market.
Question is why have they not and why are they/us the losing 90+%.

This is the question and why I want to see what the successful long term traders are doing.
We can call it tactic we can call it strategy.We can call it method.......
But hwat ever they are doing I feel this is what I need to focus on. To survive in the long term.

You can argue if this is the wrong or right
approach

Take a look at a few profiles including myself.

Blindman
Joined Aug 2012
analysis paralysis If I am honest

NVP Joined Jun 2004
Profile reads
Still experimenting - all Paper at the moment until further notice

rawrschach Joined Nov 2007
Profile reads
Trading Experience
1-2 Years

Rather than get into an
argument which is pointless. And they may of not updated the profile in a while to be fair to them.
My point is I don't want or any newbie to be n this position 11-14 years time.
But using many of the posts and surgestions out there could lead me into that position. As honest and well intended as they mean.

We need good information so that is what I. and indeed everyone else should seek.

jees ...i didnt realise that ....i will try to change it in my profile .....I was trading forex live at times before 2004.....i was testing a lot of stuff in demo and still do .....perhaps in 2004 i was more demo than live ...cant remember

N

Fair enough, that's a bit different to what I originally replied to though as per the previous post above.

Anyway I think we'll perhaps have to agree to disagree over the usefulness of doing anything with some apparently easily available database of trading strategies that already show performance etc... that the OP is looking for. :)

Ok i am with you now. I will look into it further and no doubt leave the forum as this is not the place for long term discussion on topics which I would need to cover.

thanks for your advice I do wish you and everyone else a pprofitble future as no one likes to hear of a bad story.

Blindman

there is no "right" way to make money in the markets...theres just either making money or losing money over time ....black or white

if you want someone to tell you the right way to make money trading you will spend the rest of your life on this journey across hundreds of forums and thousands of traders ....until the day you cease looking

or you decide to draw a line in the sand based on your best strategy ...and go for it .....

Good hunting
N

Blindman

there is no "right" way to make money in the markets...theres just either making money or losing money over time ....black or white

if you want someone to tell you the right way to make money trading you will spend the rest of your life on this journey across hundreds of forums and thousands of traders ....until the day you cease looking

or you decide to draw a line in the sand based on your best strategy ...and go for it .....

Good hunting
N

Yeah true with rising reward, trading risks increase as well, and it's up to your utility function of wealth, whether you are risk-averse, risk-neutral or risk-on guy. Your sufficient target can be 10 thousands bucks a month but what's is the initial capital, size of stakes etc, everything matters here.