databases of trading strategies

Blindman

31 0
Like has been said, finding a strategy is basic maths and a bit of time and testing, the problem is and where everything unfolds is you the trader of such a strategy will run into a mountain of physiological issues that will impede your success. You can have a successful trader working for a bank for example who uses their strategy, but take them away from that comfort zone and ask them to trade their own account and everything falls apart.

Wise words.
It is the basic mamths and how to find that out about any given strategy I am keen on

As we all know a lot of things dont work in the mid to long term that are out there and maybe a few are time tested.

It is the things that work in the long run I am keen on.

But with the magnitude of trading methods out there one could spend 40 years backtesting/forward testing before they come across the correct combination so on. This no doubt will lead to many blown up practice accounts and lead to many traders dropping out before they get there for a number of reasons.

rawrschach

Experienced member
1,223 277
My point is. You would need a way of extracting money out of the market. for long term success

We all know the figures online about that 90% or so fail inthe long run. Though I am not sure if this is trading in general or just the spot forex market.

So what I am trying to find out is what works in the trading field in the long run.
because either randomly using an online strategy which could have anything from a 99% Drawdown doublling down.
To just ranomly buy and selling as a poster above said due to all methods fail.
Is not going to lead to long term survival.
Literally any strategy can be profitable if it suits your way of thinking and you understand how/why it works. I knew professional prop traders trading MA crossovers profitably.

To quote from reminiscences:

When I got through telling him about my usual practice in trading he nodded and said, "Yes! Yes! You're right. The way you're built, the way your mind runs, makes your system a good system for you. It comes easy for you to practice what you preach,
If you start your education by first understanding how the market works and the dynamics of the market you will start coming up with your own ideas of how to trade. Learn about S/R and order flow for a start.

As for long term profitability - everyone is constantly adapting. You need to keep tabs on whats working on a daily basis and keep an eye out for parameters that need adjusting.

Reactions: Oscar Reed

Blindman

31 0
I disagree with aspects of your comment on MA Crossovers and long term survival doing that. I would need more information on what they did and how they did it. What setting they used and what instrument. So on.
But I am very sceptical. But if you provide it I can backtest it just out of interest.

I do agree with Order flow research though I would need Clean data and a decent platform for that. I will look into it.
As for constently adjusting parameters I fear this could lead one to chasing the market (Lagging).
I wish to stay away from all indicators to be honest as I see little gain in a 1000 Period EMA for example.

I will look into a number of things.

This is not directed at you but a comment on what I have experienced.
On some forums over the years I've found I've been given advice that has either not been conveyed in full detail. or the poster has not login for years since making that post and suggesting an approach. This can lead to a number of dead ends.

rawrschach

Experienced member
1,223 277
With any strategy you need to have a feel for when it will work and when it won't. In line with what other people here have told you - trading is a skill, the strategy is only a small part of that skill.

The MA traders were veteran traders and made good money. They were not blindly trading the crossover without an understanding of when they should/not enter the market and in what conditions it would/not work.

Blindman

31 0
With any strategy you need to have a feel for when it will work and when it won't. In line with what other people here have told you - trading is a skill, the strategy is only a small part of that skill.

The MA traders were veteran traders and made good money. They were not blindly trading the crossover without an understanding of when they should/not enter the market and in what conditions it would/not work.
I did not say they used it 24/7 on 60000 instruemtns. I simply asked for the information to support this.
define Feel please?

Blindman

31 0
I just reread what I posted and feel I should clarify it as it could be interpreted in the wrong way. I was not trying to have a pop.

I like to deal with hard evidence as this gives me confidence in going forward.

In as much as feel how would one gauge that?
What would one use for that?

Hope to hear from you soon.

rawrschach

Experienced member
1,223 277
What do you want me to do ask for their statements? Are you serious?

This forum is full of new traders refusing to put in any work and demanding to be served a strategy on a platter that requires no effort on their part. Doesn't work that way.

I, and other people in this thread, have repeatedly said that the way your mind works and your understanding of the markets is more important than any strategy but you keep ignoring us. Carry on.

Feel is based on a compilation of data which helps you understand when your strategy works and when it doesn't. Obviously you don't have time to dig up your stats when the market is setting up (if youre a short term trader) you need to remember the data. This is one thing I refer to as 'feel'. Another is order flow. The set up can be there in mechanical terms but the order flow is not right. This is a rythmic thing based on DOM. This also adds to 'feel'.

Reactions: Oscar Reed

Blindman

31 0
What do you want me to do ask for their statements? Are you serious?

This forum is full of new traders refusing to put in any work and demanding to be served a strategy on a platter that requires no effort on their part. Doesn't work that way.

I, and other people in this thread, have repeatedly said that the way your mind works and your understanding of the markets is more important than any strategy but you keep ignoring us. Carry on.

Feel is based on a compilation of data which helps you understand when your strategy works and when it doesn't. Obviously you don't have time to dig up your stats when the market is setting up (if youre a short term trader) you need to remember the data. This is one thing I refer to as 'feel'. Another is order flow. The set up can be there in mechanical terms but the order flow is not right. This is a rythmic thing based on DOM. This also adds to 'feel'.
I will have to take your word on that then.

As for DOM I was hoping to stay away from day trading to be honest as the percent of traders who make a profit each month on something like Jigsaw is around 30% Profitable Traders and those who make a consistant profit for decades is a lot less.
and they are probaly the top retail traders who have been in the game for years if not decades.

I also think it is wrong of you to keep saying i am ignoring you I am not.

I would just rather use something with a proven track record by a trader or investor who has had a 40 year say career. As this gives me more reliability. In long term survival.

trendie

Legendary member
6,113 981
I will have to take your word on that then.

As for DOM I was hoping to stay away from day trading to be honest as the percent of traders who make a profit each month on something like Jigsaw is around 30% Profitable Traders and those who make a consistant profit for decades is a lot less.
and they are probaly the top retail traders who have been in the game for years if not decades.

I also think it is wrong of you to keep saying i am ignoring you I am not.

I would just rather use something with a proven track record by a trader or investor who has had a 40 year say career. As this gives me more reliability. In long term survival.
only one I can think of is Warren Buffet, and his Berkshire Hathaway fund.
good luck.

NVP

Legendary member
36,535 1,843
I just reread what I posted and feel I should clarify it as it could be interpreted in the wrong way. I was not trying to have a pop.

I like to deal with hard evidence as this gives me confidence in going forward.

In as much as feel how would one gauge that?
What would one use for that?

Hope to hear from you soon.
the past does not gurarantee the future ........most of these dudes will backfit their systems and sell you duds

N

Blindman

31 0
That actually was a good post.

I will research Market Wizards and other top traders who have been in the game for a long time.

Because using DOM with all the games on it and no doubt future games which will be more sophisticated will no doubt lead to many long term failures.
I very much doubt Buffett even knows how to read the DOM or other top traders like him.

I want to grow my account over the long term.
Thats the main reason for a list of strategies and I will study the likes of Buffett.
So thank you for bringing Buffett up.

Blindman

31 0
do you mean the trade mirroring sites ?...like etoro and zulutrade ?
Problem is none
have a 10 year track record and blindly following a person without knowing what they are doing is insane.
I would of thought most just trade for 3 months then have a 99% DD. 2nd I Don't trust Forex the list of reasons is long.

In as much as Automated systems I was not or ever been interested in these for a whole host of reasons.

Blindman

31 0
the past does not gurarantee the future ........most of these dudes will backfit their systems and sell you duds

N
I agree the past does not guarantee the future I agree with you "most of these dudes will backfit their systems and sell you duds".

It is the few that are not dudes and work in the long term I am looking for. No doubt used by top investors.