• Welcome to the Darwinex Forums, these forums are member-run and managed by CavaliereVerde. Member-run forum rules may differ from the site guidelines.

[DARWIN] IDT by BenHardy

BenHardy

DARWIN IDT quick link 1:
https://www.darwinex.com/invest/IDT

DARWIN IDT quick link 2 [for geeks ;-)]:
https://www.darwinex.com/darwin/IDT?detail_view=true

Dear Investors and Traders,

Since the Darwinex community forum will not be available again in the near future, I’ve decided to “move” the whole presentation and discussion regarding my DARWIN IDT to this new place within Trade2Win (T2W).

First and foremost, please let me introduce myself, especially for (potentially new) investors:

I’m an experienced full-time algo trader working independently for asset management companies. Additionally I (only) use Darwinex as a social trading platform to share my systems. You can find my strategies also on other popular sites but can’t copy my trading from there. The reason for this is simple: No other social trading platform apart from Darwinex really protects a trader’s intellectual property. Furthermore Darwinex offers its unique risk engine that is able to significantly improve the performance of many strategies in terms of reward to risk.

I started forex trading in 2015 but already had a “background” regarding investing (stocks and funds) starting in 2001. Yes, I was one of the guys who bought over-hyped tech equities shortly before the “big drop” ;-). But 14 years later I came to the conclusion that it is possible to utilize professionally generated statistics to trade with an actual edge even though the market efficiency hypothesis contradicts this. You can read more about said issue in my following article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effi...ders-stremayr?trk=public_profile_article_view

IDT is an automated but human controlled trading system running on some forex major pairs and their respective crosses. The basic idea behind IDT is to mix different strategies for getting a diversified portfolio with low correlation. Mainly (unique) momentum and breakout trading techniques are utilized with low leverage and protections around rollover or in context of high impact news events. The holding time averagely is about 10 hours but sometimes only a few minutes up to a few days - depending on volatility. Every trade is secured with SLTP and no averaging, grid or martingale approaches etc. are used. The respective EAs for MT4/MT5 were developed with big OOS (out of sample) time spans and hard stress tests to ensure a high potential for future profitability. Nevertheless backtests are no guarantee for any yields. You should only invest money you can afford to lose.

I invite you all to share your thoughts and ask questions (if any).

Best of luck,
Ben

Email: [email protected]

Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 15-04-29 https __team.alphanet.io.png

Thank you; I really enjoyed reading your LinkedIn article. Obviously some learning had taken place in those months of protracted drawdown. Which ones of those lessons learned would you say had the most positive impact on the performance of your trading thereafter?

Hi @morehastelessspeed, thanks for the feedback!

Regarding your question I think the most important “lesson” I learned within the last years of my trading is the following one:
As outlined in my LinkedIn article, beating the market is almost proven to be impossible. So if you want to achieve something that science considers to be highly likely impossible in the long-run, the strategy you use must be absolutely outstanding. This e.g. must apply to your backtest stats. After having finalized your EA’s optimization using specific fx pairs and timeframes, the trading system also must be profitable on other symbols and timeframes. For example you developed a strategy utilizing momentum [which basically works best on EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDJPY and GBPJPY - H1], always using exactly the same setting and taking volatility into account, then the respective expert must also show significant edge on the timeframes above/below the optimized ones [H4 & M30 in our example], as well as on the remaining G10 pairs on the respective “main timeframe(s)” [H1]. This is something I’d always ensure additionally to “standard” OOS testing before going live. Furthermore I’d discard a strategy if I need many optimization processes in order to find stable parameter value settings for OOS. Because this indicates that a strategy isn’t really robust, the trading parameters and their optimized values may be too sensible (so any minor alteration of the future market behavior can easily kill your EA’s edge).

Last edited:
I’d discard a strategy if I need many optimization processes in order to find stable parameter value settings for OOS. Because this indicates that a strategy isn’t really robust, the trading parameters and their optimized values may be too sensible (so any minor alteration of the future market behavior can easily kill your EA’s edge).
Thank you indeed!

Dear Traders, Friends, Investors,

Please note that IDT will be closed soon. An advanced version of the trading system is running now under "finbou" user. The new DARWIN's name is MSR:

All the best for you,
Ben

Hi @CavaliereVerde,

Thanks for your message!

Yes, I'm collaborating with the Swiss Finbou AG (founder of "Thales" respectively THA, finbou.com). I'm the trader behind MSR (= IDT 2.0), an advanced version of IDT:

MSR will soon utilize a new generation of EAs that I developed within the last years:

All respective questions can be directed to this thread but maybe I/we independently will open a new thread especially for the official MSR DARWIN.

Best,
Ben

Hi,

Please note that MSR is the "successor strategy" of IDT and it runs exclusively under Finbou brand. I'm not allowed to post anything that's directly related to MSR in my own/sole decision. But I can forward that there seems to be demand regarding an "MSR thread" on trade2win.com (till now there's also no official thread for THA / Thales run by the trader and/or CEO). For now, please refer to MSR's official description:

"Messner is an automated but human-supervised strategy portfolio, primarily applying momentum and breakout algorithms on abundantly liquid FX pairs. The portfolio comprises strategies that passed very stringent robustness tests and show low correlations among each other. All stops are temporarily widened during the rollover to cope with wider spreads. No positions are held over the weekend. The system's edge is constantly reevaluated, and timely adjustments to the portfolio are made if required."

Thanks and have a nice day,
Ben