cost effective charting package

thewelshman08

Hi there--am thinking of starting out--has anyone got any recommendations for a charting package--looking to trade uk/german indices but would also like the dow jones on it-i think-----was looking for a reliable,cheap-ish real-time charting package-any thoughts much appreciated

best package in my opinion is pro real time (ProRealTime : Real Time Technical Analysis Software)

If you're planning on trading via direct market access then you will need the eurex exchange for german indices such as the dax and eurostoxx and the CBOT exchange to trade mini dow contracts. If you decided to venture into other emini contracts for indices such as the nasdaq, sp 500 and russell 2000 then you will need to register to the CME exchange.

thanks

best package in my opinion is pro real time (ProRealTime : Real Time Technical Analysis Software)

If you're planning on trading via direct market access then you will need the eurex exchange for german indices such as the dax and eurostoxx and the CBOT exchange to trade mini dow contracts. If you decided to venture into other emini contracts for indices such as the nasdaq, sp 500 and russell 2000 then you will need to register to the CME exchange.

thanks--stupid question but can you access these markets from one single trading account

Hi there--am thinking of starting out--has anyone got any recommendations for a charting package--looking to trade uk/german indices but would also like the dow jones on it-i think-----was looking for a reliable,cheap-ish real-time charting package-any thoughts much appreciated

Best package I have found is Pro real Time

thanks--stupid question but can you access these markets from one single trading account

Yep, you can access all the markets from one account. Generally though, when you open a direct market access account, your broker will ask you what you want to trade give you access to that market and similar products. For example if you say you want to trade the mini dow, then they'll give you access to all the emini's. If you one day decided that you want to trade corn or wheat, and you don't have access, it's just a case of phoning up and asking them to add it which takes 5 mins, as long as you have the required funds to trade that markets as different markets are valued differently per contract per tick.

I am kind of confused and wondered if someone could help. I'm looking to trade futures contracts, such as e-mini S&P on CME. What is the best way of doing this?

a) I simply find a broker who supply me a data feed, trading platform, simple charting and charge me commission every time a trade.

b) I find a charting package, such as Sierra Chart and link this to a data feed (I don't know which one - any ideas?) and get direct access to the exchange?. Do I still need a broker or does this by-pass them?

Forgive me if this is silly question, but I am new to this.

You'd have to look into Infinity as a broker and Sierra as a chart. Prorealtime works good for longer timeframes than eminis. Infinity delivers lot better data for free and Sierra costs 26 dollars. IT Finance (prorealtime) will charge you around 100 euro for an average quality data (similar quality as if you get it from Yahoo or MSN or Google). Pure hoax IMO.

You'd have to look into Infinity as a broker and Sierra as a chart. Prorealtime works good for longer timeframes than eminis. Infinity delivers lot better data for free and Sierra costs 26 dollars. IT Finance (prorealtime) will charge you around 100 euro for an average quality data (similar quality as if you get it from Yahoo or MSN or Google). Pure hoax IMO.

Okay, so you need a broker and Sierra Charts is an add-on? So the broker is there to offer data and execute trades.

Is it possible to link Sierra Charts to Yahoo data and trade that way or do you still need a broker to execute the trade?

The bottom line - broker executes trades.

Charts are nothing to do with trades. You may want to trade using astrology signs. it is up to you

QuoteTracker charts work with numerous broker feeds/data providers. It's free and very effective, which is about as cost effective as you can get!

QuoteTracker charts work with numerous broker feeds/data providers. It's free and very effective, which is about as cost effective as you can get!

Don't brokers already supply this sort of information. What does Quotetracker offer that is extra?