Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

I just loaded the FXCorrelator indicator. I will be using the "2 ducks elevator view" with the 1 and 5 min charts. I notice in inputs the value for Delta is 3. Is this the correct value?

Also, for those using the lower TFs, what is the average target and SL you use if you don't mind sharing? I took a short on G/U and got out for +5. It gave 30+ pips thus far. For those who have more experience using this system, can you please give more insight as to how you manage your exits when scalping?

:cool:
I just loaded the FXCorrelator indicator. I will be using the "2 ducks elevator view" with the 1 and 5 min charts. I notice in inputs the value for Delta is 3. Is this the correct value?

Also, for those using the lower TFs, what is the average target and SL you use if you don't mind sharing? I took a short on G/U and got out for +5. It gave 30+ pips thus far. For those who have more experience using this system, can you please give more insight as to how you manage your exits when scalping?

hi Sequentialb

welcome to the family (y)

sorry about that .....delta 3 is a little smoothed for what we do so if you want the pure scalper we recommend trading a 20ma delta 1

if you've read the word document I'm a little fuzzy on exits because it s a subject in itself and there is no deffinate answer :cool:

all I recommend is that you find the best approach to match your personality -some people are appy to grab 5 ips a trade 90% of the tinme .......whilst others will let it run a little to try to get some decent pips, but run the risk of losing it all if the currencies reverse quickly ! ( hey s*it happens)

for me on the 1min/5min combo you must appreciate the Average true range (ATR) of the pair you are trading and dont get toooooo greedy

personally if you are scalping i'd be very very happy with 10 pips....if you are lucky for the trade to move beyond this level in one move....then move your stop loss upwards beyond break even and let it run a bit more

sometimes you will get stopped out and sometimes you will see a 50+ pip run.....its in the lap of the gods

but dont let a decent profit turn into a loss .....;)

making 5 pips and seeing it go further is one of the problems of trading.....losing 10 pips and then watching the trade turn and move up 100 pips will be the next thing you see...at this point welcome to the emotional and mentally challenging world of trading (y)

N

Thanks NVP fore the reply. I'm a bit confused. Do I need to download another indicator to trade the 20ma Delta 1? Also, I'll be targeting around 10 pips. Is Delta 1 better than Delta 3 for this purpose?

:cool:

hi Sequentialb

welcome to the family (y)

sorry about that .....delta 3 is a little smoothed for what we do so if you want the pure scalper we recommend trading a 20ma delta 1

if you've read the word document I'm a little fuzzy on exits because it s a subject in itself and there is no deffinate answer :cool:

all I recommend is that you find the best approach to match your personality -some people are appy to grab 5 ips a trade 90% of the tinme .......whilst others will let it run a little to try to get some decent pips, but run the risk of losing it all if the currencies reverse quickly ! ( hey s*it happens)

for me on the 1min/5min combo you must appreciate the Average true range (ATR) of the pair you are trading and dont get toooooo greedy

personally if you are scalping i'd be very very happy with 10 pips....if you are lucky for the trade to move beyond this level in one move....then move your stop loss upwards beyond break even and let it run a bit more

sometimes you will get stopped out and sometimes you will see a 50+ pip run.....its in the lap of the gods

but dont let a decent profit turn into a loss .....;)

making 5 pips and seeing it go further is one of the problems of trading.....losing 10 pips and then watching the trade turn and move up 100 pips will be the next thing you see...at this point welcome to the emotional and mentally challenging world of trading (y)

N

Hi Sequential B

go into the settings on your indicator and reset the moving average to 20 and the delta to 1

the delta is like a smoothing setting......higher the setting the smoother / slower the line

so in my opinion use the 20ma and a delta 1........apologies as I thought it was set on this as default :whistling

N

hey sequential B

a lot of newbies start out with this approach and ive seen worse (y)

in fact every trainer or newbie website ive ever seen seems to talk about the 10 pips per trade or 10 pips a day approach

the corrie on a 20ma delta 1 will do nicely......use the 5min and 1 min and wait till that usd and yen are same side of the zero on both timeframes - then trade a currency that is on opposite side

but which currency if more than 1 is ? :whistling

well.........thats the problem....I dont know !

if its already established in an pposite trend when the yen/usd signals a trade the currency in question may suddenly retace and you lose....this also depends on the currency in question (n)

I suppose I prefer to see the yen /usd signal a move (in both TF's) BUT then you WAIT for the next currency that moves into opposite mode (so usually te currency its already opposite on the 5 min as yen/usd signals......then just wait for its 1 min to move into opposite mode as well)

heads you win....tails you Lose.....theres no perfect answer

the GBP and the CAD vs usd will move much faster than the others
the EUR and AUD are slower but generally a steadier trade against usd
NZD is halfway house between the 2 groups above
CHF is twitchy
Yen vs usd - dont touch until you are more experienced

i'd recommend EURUSD to start with possibly

N

also go through the videos on yuotube.......you will see the 20ma delta 1 a lot !

N

heres Boris fom BKforex advisors

I love boris to pieces, he tells it as it is and freely admits to using his own emotional and innovational approaches to trading that completely contravene the boring conservative approach that is actually what is required for sucess in the long term

I love the Dual personality idea........would really work for me and if I dont find a way to control my AAA personality I will never make good money from the market :rolleyes:

FXCorrelator or not ..........:p

Head versus Heart

The other day, as I was watching the World Cup coverage on ESPN, their analyst made the following comment about the upcoming Germany versus Spain game. "At this point," he noted, "strategy doesn't matter. It all come does down to emotion. Who has the bigger heart? Who has the stronger desire to win?"

Interesting, I thought to myself. In trading the exact opposite is true. Emotion is the last thing you want to rely on when you put on a trade. Success in trading depends on dispassionate execution of your strategy. Anger, fear, frustration, joy, exuberance and swagger will all cause you to lose money in the end. How do I know? I am the prime example of that dynamic. No one has squandered more profits than I as a result of these emotional reactions to the market.

Yet it would be utterly simplistic to argue that trading is all about the intellect. In fact emotion is critical to creativity. You cannot innovate unless you feel passionate about the subject and some of my best setups were the result of obsessive, emotion fueled binges of work. The key however is to leave emotion behind when time comes to execute the strategy. It is almost as if to be successful trader you need to assume two personalities - the wildly enthusiastic, intuitive creator and the colorless, consistent, dispassionate executioner.

That's no easy task and is one of the reasons why trading is such a challenging discipline. In all the time I have traded I have never been able to solve this problem to my complete satisfaction, but I have come up with a practical workaround. I divide my trading capital into two accounts. I have a small account where I allow myself to be as emotional and experimental as I want to be and a large account in which I trade only the well worn strategies that I have tested.

Many traders have asked me why I never experiment on a demo and my answer always is that it is a total waste of time. Demo trading is good only for familiarizing yourself with the execution software. In order to truly understand how the market works and more importantly how you work in relation to the market, you need real money on the line. And although my little trading account has cost me a fair penny in losses over time, the wisdom that it has yielded in self knowledge and strategy improvement has been far greater than all the pips I squandered.

In a battle between the head and the heart, there is no ultimate winner. In trading as in life you need to find the place for both to thrive. Otherwise the markets will get you one way or the other.

A bit off topic but I wanted to drop in a nice article from moneyweek

I used to dabble here on Gold and some aqssociated correlations but am now trying to focus on pure forex plays more

i'm still starting to like Gold again though....especially in US$ if those US printing presses start rolling

on the Forex side longer term a AUSUSD play will also look interesting (y)

N

http://www.moneyweek.com/investment...r&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Money+Morning

Neil,
can I pogram this corrie thing in NinjaTrader? I'm mulling over the idea of discretionary trading and this looks like the way to go. What's it based on? Metatrader? I've got quite handy at writing systems in NinjaTrader so I could probably put it together, and the programmer in me would be happier knowing I've programmed it myself.

Neil,
can I pogram this corrie thing in NinjaTrader? I'm mulling over the idea of discretionary trading and this looks like the way to go. What's it based on? Metatrader? I've got quite handy at writing systems in NinjaTrader so I could probably put it together, and the programmer in me would be happier knowing I've programmed it myself.

Hi mate

I suspect its programmable in any language - its just a strengthmeter at the end of the day - its built in metatrader so try to build it in what yuo want then compare it to the FXCorrelator (y)

go on the major forex sites like forex Factory and Forex TSD.....you will see strengthmeters there in other languages

N

the FXcorrelator on a scalper (20ma delta 1) is ok in most timeframes (y)

N

wake up wake up its time to trade.....

N

Attachments

• early doors .jpg
    early doors .jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 201
CHF swallowed the bait.....10+ pips on USDCHF

shame about that eurosell ....the 5 min was not below the zero....

rules is rules !!!!

N

wow............what a start to the week....(y)

N

Attachments

• take a picture.jpg
    take a picture.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 281
i'll be surprised if tag keep piling upwards now......some breathing time is anticipated

FILE NOTE

usd has been much more bullish that the Yen on this northern trek.....look for some nice yen sells into the usd if the dj futures rises now

N

let that DJ30 consolidate above say 10154 and we have an official tag fall then in progress

GBP has been quietish...........gut feel tells me 1.50 could about to be pulversied in next hour

nice 10 pips up to the 50 is imminent

N