computer settings changed

keano

hi guys. Quick query. The other day my uncle was on my computer helping me set-up some cd-rewriting software for making cd's. Somewhere along the way, however, he seems to have changed a setting somewhere because now every site I go to, the writing and pictures seem smaller. The little boxes in the corner with the symbols for maximising/minimising pages is smaller, the writing in the internet address bar is smaller and i noticed that when i went to my DAElite software a minute ago my charts are small and so is the writing in the portfolio section. Everythings shrunk... What's he changed??

thx

Keano

He's changed the screen resolution. By default most systems now ship with a resolution of 1024 x 768 but the screen and PC are capable of a higher resolution. The higher resolution allows you to view more on the screen.

To change it back:

Right click on a blank bit of screen
Select properties
Select Settings
Screen Resolution is set by dragging the bar labeled 'Screen Resolution'

Above assumes you are running Windows.

Thanks JP. I changed the resolution. My charts etc are more how they were before now, although supprisingly the text i am writing now for example, seems to be slightly bigger now than it was before my uncle touched my computer. Either way i prefer it now to how it was a minute ago, so thanks for your help.

Keano

There is an alternative explanation. He changed the text viewing size in IE. Go to IE Toolbar, view, text size and adjust as required. You may wish to reinstate your original monitor resolution too

thanks for the help guys. Im quite content with the way things look for now so i'll leave it alone for now until i see him again. new problem though. anyone know how to clear a cd. Im trying to make a cd using files from my computer, but it didn't come out right so i need to do it again, but i need to clear the cd because when you start it says "please insert a blank cd" which mine isn't anymore.

Hi keano

if its a standard blank CD that you have written to and not a CD-RW (Rewritable) then you throw it away and start again.

You cannot erase a standard cd for re-use.

Problem fixed...kind of. We've got a box of blank cd's in our house which we've always though were rewritable cd's. After hours of me trying to muck around, writing over the cd with new tracks, having my family members tell me how im doing something wrong, it turns out the cd's they gave me aren't even rewritable! morons!! i was right, they were wrong. haha. Thanks again JP.

Keano

Boy,
Would a system restore remove all the new installations?
Yes but not always.
A lot depends on when the system restore dates are set for.
It works reasonably well in XP.
Sometimes, if you've de-fragged or something in between dates, it can't.
There is a program called "Goback" that you can use with earlier versions of windows.

Very handy in these days of viruses and stuff.
Hope this helps

I have a problem with viewing links from a web page.

I get the pop up box ok but nothing else appears just a little red 'X' in the top corner?

Help appreciated.