computer power

That largely depends on the Operating System/Trading Software etc etc that you're using. Coupled with the fact you need you machine to be responsive so as not to have any delays when monitoring charts opening windows etc.

I personally am running a P4 3.2ghz which handles what I need it to do without even getting out of second gear so to speak. Most systems available today (new) usually have nothing less that a P4/ Celeron processor running at 2.2ghz upwards which is perfectly suitable. There's plenty of bargains to be had out there.

Probably more importantly is the speed of your internet connection, you really need to be on ADSL/Cable to get the real time data through quick enough to be relevant.

Feel free to pm me if you want some advice.

Regards,
Graham

I am currently reviewing my trading tools, I wish to move up to 2 or 3 computers but space is of a premium. I have always relied on a desktop for my day trading. Does anyone use laptops for this purpose. I am concerned that most laptops have less ram and processor speeds and cannot be upgraded to the same levels that a desktop can.

The other factor is the screen position. My trading can take as little as 30 mins or 6 hours and I was wondering if the Laptop screen position would be unsuitable for prolonged use.

Hi Kevin

I was advised that - you can never have enough memory on a PC - and that memory capacity was just as important as the processor speed - for overall speed and functionality. I am running 512 mb DDR RAM. However, 1024 mb RAM seems/seemed quite common place - the last time I was lucking at what was available.
I have also found it difficult to day trade without at least 3 monitors. For me, four monitors is better.

Cheers

jtrader.

If you are running XP then there is probably no point having more than 512MB Ram as the OS doesn't utilise it unless the individual Apps are written specifically to do so. XP by default will write to Virtual Memory rather than use the additional Ram.

However in JTraders case it is possible that his Graphics card is using system memory.

JonnyT

JonnyT

Are you referring to Laptop or Desktop or both regarding the 512mb of ram.

I was looking at the longer life of a Desktop to Laptop on the basis that most Laptops appear to take 1024mb as max whereas Desktops can be upgraded to 4gb. While it may not be needed now a couple of years down the road and it may prove a useful upgrade.

I currently run XP with 1024 ram and another issue would be that I run a wireless network at home where 3 laptops in addition to my trading desktops/laptops will be connected. I thought it would be beneficial for the master computer to have maximum ram to support the network. The downside is that my present trading space is limited to just enough room for 2 x 17" flat screens rather than the 3 if I employed Laptops.

JTrader

thanks for your reply as for number of monitors it all depends how you use them.

Regards

Kevin

JonnyT said:
If you are running XP then there is probably no point having more than 512MB Ram as the OS doesn't utilise it unless the individual Apps are written specifically to do so. XP by default will write to Virtual Memory rather than use the additional Ram.

That is absolute nonsense - 32-bit XP supports up to 4GB of physical RAM. There may be hardware restrictions on specific motherboards/chipsets that prevent more than 512Mb being utilised, but modern motherboards should not have this restriction, and XP certainly doesn't.

Even are unlucky enough to have apps that can only use 512Mb of RAM, there's no reason you can't run multiple apps that use 512Mb each.

As I understand misunderstanding may be coming out of the way this information is being interpreted. XP itself will make littlr use of RAM over 512MB, BUT other applications running on your computer may, therefore it would be beneficial to go above this if you run memory hungry applications. At least thats the way it was explained to me.

JonnyT said:

However in JTraders case it is possible that his Graphics card is using system memory.

JonnyT
My charting computer runs esignal, tradestation and a few other software. It would hardly be able to start up with 512MB,. At the moment I have hyperthreading and 1500MB and will soon upgrade to 3000MB.

The point is that with standard applications XP will start to use Virtual Memory when the 512MB barrier is hit. Applications have to be specifically written to manage there memory space to utilise greater than this. Most are not.

Try loading up multiple instances of apps and look at Virtual memory use...

Clearly heavy apps like Tradestation most likely are.

If you really want to multithread with loads of memory then you need Windows 2003 Server as the OS to properly benefit. Fast Hard Drives these days mask what is really happening...

JonnyT