Two monitors

osho67

Well-known member
407 3
How can I connect two monitors on my computer? Min spec for computer and advantages and disadvantages of such a set up. How do I convert my box to do this? Help much appreciated. Thanks
 

osho67

Well-known member
407 3
Dear Rossored

When I click properties and settings in the monitor selection I only get default monitor choice. I am using Win 2000. Do I get choice for 2nd monitor after I have actually connected the monitor?

Somebody said I will have the same page on the second monitor. Is this correct-probably not as there is no point of having the same information on two monitors. Your help much appreciated.

2nd Monitor does not mean I am becoming more successful -rather it is opposite of that !!!!!
 

osho67

Well-known member
407 3
Another point to clarify
There will be one keyboard and one mouse- I hope! How do I go from one monitor to another ?Thanks
 

Buddhist

Junior member
31 0
If your video cards supports 2 monitor, then you will have specific software drivers to manage them. Win2K and XP will display the same screen on both. Your video driver will allow your mouse to 'overflow' from one screen to the other, and ought to allow you to define application by application which screen they display in. Plus other goodies like individual screensavers etc may also be possible.

Hope this helps.

David


osho67 said:
Another point to clarify
There will be one keyboard and one mouse- I hope! How do I go from one monitor to another ?Thanks
 

osho67

Well-known member
407 3
Thanks Buddhist.

Rossored has mentioned that on a laptop you just connect another monitor , go to properties-sttings and click for 2nd monitor. I donot get that choice- I only get default monitor choice. Anyway If I get the same page on both of them , I donot want a second monitor. I thought on one I can have a chart from QT and on another IB page .I hope this clarifies. I havnt got a second monitor as yet.
 

Buddhist

Junior member
31 0
Pleasure. I dont think I have seen any laptops with dual monitor support, mainly due to the heat problem with dual-support graphics cards. With all laptops I have seen, a socket for an external monitor only allows you to slave the external off the internal or to replace it. In either event you cant put a different window on each.

May be wrong but I dont think so....

D


osho67 said:
Thanks Buddhist.

Rossored has mentioned that on a laptop you just connect another monitor , go to properties-sttings and click for 2nd monitor. I donot get that choice- I only get default monitor choice. Anyway If I get the same page on both of them , I donot want a second monitor. I thought on one I can have a chart from QT and on another IB page .I hope this clarifies. I havnt got a second monitor as yet.
 

HiProb

Junior member
21 0
I use an HP zt3000 and it supports dual monitors. I connect to 2nd port to a 17 LCD running 1280 x 768 resolution. Works fantastic.
 

rossored

Senior member
2,103 56
Buddhist said:
Pleasure. I dont think I have seen any laptops with dual monitor support, mainly due to the heat problem with dual-support graphics cards. With all laptops I have seen, a socket for an external monitor only allows you to slave the external off the internal or to replace it. In either event you cant put a different window on each.

May be wrong but I dont think so....

D

Sorry for not replying, have only just seen this update.

This is incorrect. If you attach a second monitor to the back of any laptop via what is normally the projector port (15-pin), right click on the desktop area and go to Properties --> Settings and enable the second monitor (click the "2" symbol") , then click "Extend my desktop onto this monitor", you CAN have seperate windows on each screen. It IS NOT a duplicate of what exists on the main screen.

I'm doing this as we speak, and I've done it for 18 months or more on this laptop with no problems regarding overheating or anything else.

Hope this helps.
 
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock