Compacting e mails - help?

seancass

Can any of our regular techies please advise?

I tried to be extremely clever this afternoon and decided to compact the 1,000+ e mails in my outlook express 6 in box. I went to FILE then FOLDER then COMPACT. There was a certain amount of activity when I hit the mouse where a little icon of folding letters continued for some time. However, all the e mails in my inbox have now gone AWOL and I cannot find them. I entered a folder search into the computer and it can find what I think is the file with the missing e mails. When I try to open it nothing happens. The file is a dbx file.

Can anyone tell me where I might have hidden all my in e mails please?

Many thanks,

Seancass

Mails.

Sean,

Its should store the file locally - which can be used again

You know you can save the emails as text or whatever format you want - and store them on your harddrive ?

P

Pervaz,

Thanks. The problem is I cannot find all the In Box e mails. They are lurking in the long grass of my computer; I can't see them.

Sean

Pervaz said:
Sean,

Its should store the file locally - which can be used again

You know you can save the emails as text or whatever format you want - and store them on your harddrive ?

P

Don't know if this will work.
Control Panel/Folder Options/View/ Enable: Show Hidden Files and Folders.
Then try a search.

Have a look in Tools/Options and then Maintenance tab.

It'll show you where your stuff is stored.

It's normally somewhere so deeply buried it's generally considered a good idea to:-

(a) change the location to something more easily reached and
(b) turn off the auto compact.

As another general pointer, move stuff out of your inbox and into specific sub-folders ASAP and delete your 'deleted' folder emails before compacting. Makes a BIG difference.

Thanks for that, Bramble. I've been into the maintenance tab and it doesn't tell me where the illusive emails are hiding, regrettably.

Best wishes,
Sean

TheBramble said:
Have a look in Tools/Options and then Maintenance tab.

It'll show you where your stuff is stored.

It's normally somewhere so deeply buried it's generally considered a good idea to:-

(a) change the location to something more easily reached and
(b) turn off the auto compact.

As another general pointer, move stuff out of your inbox and into specific sub-folders ASAP and delete your 'deleted' folder emails before compacting. Makes a BIG difference.

seancass said:
Thanks for that, Bramble. I've been into the maintenance tab and it doesn't tell me where the illusive emails are hiding, regrettably.

Click on the 'Store Folder' button within the Maint tab. It will say something like:-

"C:\Documents and Settings\win\Application Data\Identities\{988BF41E-6699-4FDE-B815-1893CF94B1A9}\Microsoft\Outlook Express"

unless you've set it to somewhere else.