Commodity Charts

mclhrr

I would like to start trading commodities. Can Anyone recommend any charting sites or software ?

Hello mclhrr,

Some useful sites for commodities charts, news, info, etc. :

CHARTS/NEWS
------------------

www.futuresource.com
www.futures.tradingcharts.com
www.spectrumcommodities.com
www.britefutures.com
www.ino.com
www.barchart.com

NEWS/FUNDAMENTALS
----------------------------

www.agriculture.com
www.agweb.com
www.sucden.co.uk
www.dailyfutures.com
www.moundreport.com
http://www.keystone-web.com/commodities/commodity.html

OTHERs
----------

www.commoditieslinks.com
http://investormap.com/comm.htm

BROKERS AND CHARTING SOFTWARE
---------------------------------------------

www.commonsensecommodities.com
www.trackntrade.com
www.chartbook.com

www.alaron.com

That's a small selection from my favorites list. Hope tht's enought to be going on with!!! ;)

Last edited:

Thank You DaveT and Bgold.
I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the trading platform to use. I have an account with finspreads but their spreads seem a bit large, 833.25-836.75 for the March Soybeans for example. Can you recommend another alternative ? Any other advice for a complete beginner.

Cheers

MikeH

Mike -

I have only used spread-bet companies myself thus far, but have pencelled in a move to direct access in the near future.

As you may know, spread-bet companies vary in the size of their spread, but also in their range of markets and on-line dealing of contracts.

1) Spread-bet is relatively easy to comprehend, (ie £/$ per point,etc), and it's currently tax-free.
The main players are IG index, City Index, Canor Index, Deal4Free, TradIndex, Finspreads, CapitalSpreads.

2) Direct Access brokers (where you trade the actual futures contracts in 'lots') is a little more complex, and you pay a commision on each contract per trade ('per round turn'). Gains are taxable above the annual CGT limit.
See the Direct Access forum on this site for more info, and on Indepentant Brokers.

www.sucden.co.uk
www.gnitouch.com

www.bfl.co.uk

3) CFD's (Contracts For Difference) are increasingly accessable for different types of traders. The spreads are narrower then Spread-betting, but gains are taxable above the annual CGT limit.
Thus far they have been mainly used for Stock and Forex trading, but I understand some providers may now/soon trade commodities?

www.igmarkets.com
www.gnitouch.com

I would suggest you read as much as you can about the principles of futures trading, CFDs and Spread-bet before opening an account. Much can be found for free on the web;just use your search engine with the words 'futures' and 'trading', etc.

Not to mention this site ofcourse.

Also, get a couple of good books on the subject. There are loads of titles, and now several CD-ROM/DVD TUTORIALS to choose from.
See this site's book store, or visit :

http://books.global-investor.com/pa...0&identifier=c547a0aaff4edb280ba32488d90defec

The best advice one can give a beginner is to read,study and learn as much as you can.
Have you developed a trading strategy? Will you use Technical Analysis or study fundamentals of supply/demand? Both?

This business is not easy, but if you are dedicated, it can be very enjoyable and POTENTIALLY very financially rewarding.

Good luck and good trading!

Last edited:
TFC's charts aren't the best I've ever seen, and I wouldnt rely on the volume or OI, but for a quick glance with a nice easy menu they're OK. RE software, whcih commodities are you considering ?

rog1111