Real Time Forex Charts

Hello

I've not yet made the full move to forex trading. At around 19:15 hrs BST, I was looking at the FXCM spot forex fxtrek 1 charts at http://quote.fxtrek.com/misc/fxcm.asp - which use the S&P Comstock feed - an indicative feed that takes a composite of bank prices and streams them in real time. I noticed that on EUR/USD - the plotted price was adjusting in 2,3 and 4 pip increments. I have been led to believe that this type of slippage/gappage does not occur in forex and that this market moves in consistent 1 pip increments......Was this happening because 19:15 hrs BST is a quiet time, illustrating that slippage/gappage does occur, or does this perhaps suggest that the S&P comstock feed cannot be trusted?

Many thanks

jtrader

19.15 was the Fed rate announcement. The market was very choppy and volatile.
FXCM pricing reflected the underlying choppiness.

Movements of more than one pip are not unusual in a busy market.

jtrader said:
Hello

I've not yet made the full move to forex trading. At around 19:15 hrs BST, I was looking at the FXCM spot forex fxtrek 1 charts at http://quote.fxtrek.com/misc/fxcm.asp - which use the S&P Comstock feed - an indicative feed that takes a composite of bank prices and streams them in real time. I noticed that on EUR/USD - the plotted price was adjusting in 2,3 and 4 pip increments. I have been led to believe that this type of slippage/gappage does not occur in forex and that this market moves in consistent 1 pip increments......Was this happening because 19:15 hrs BST is a quiet time, illustrating that slippage/gappage does occur, or does this perhaps suggest that the S&P comstock feed cannot be trusted?

Many thanks

jtrader
Hi Jtrader,

On news announcements the EUR/USD certainly jumps about a heck of a lot!

On occaison 100 pips in the blink of an eye then back again.

If you trade the Globex futures then you can minimise slippage etc using Stop Limit orders and other techniques.

JonnyT

JonnyT

Thanks jpwone, I certainly pick my times to watch!

However, 2-3 pip movement jumps are still occurring on the fx trek 1 charts at 22:00 BST. Could this be due simply to the time of day, poor datafeed, or can these 2,3, or 4 pips jumps occur at any time of day - news release time or otherwise?

Cheers

jtrader.

Hi Jtrader,

22:00 BST is likely to be illiquid for EUR/USD or the GBP/USD

I wouldn't trade either of these at this time. In fact I wouldn't trade the GBP after 15:00 BST

JonnyT