Commission

TRy out J-Trader Demo, somewhat more user friendly IMO

4£ a side = u buy or sell cost u 4£ each time, therefore 8£ round trip

Yes, I meant which contract, or did I miss it somewhere?. I've used J-Trader. I quite liked it but it needed updating.
You soon get used to other platforms tho.

edit, sorry, just seen it in the opg post :rolleyes:

Kap,

hmmm.... IB + NinjaTrader, this could be the combo, so were looking @ 30$ per month + 4.80$ RT's versus GNI 12$ RT's.... No contest.

What on earth are you talking about ?

Let's do a direct comparison assuming you do do around 5 trades a day:

Costs:

IB
5 x $4.8 = $24

GNI
5 x $12 = $60

So a saving of $36 in just one day of trading using IB and even with a $30 cost to use Ninja you still save $6 in just one day !!!

So based on that it is IB (No contest)

But as I have said before there is nothing wrong with the IB TWS and I will beat anyone using an API platform into and out of the market everytime hands down and at better prices.

Do you work for GNI by any chance ?

Paul

Trader333 said:
Kap,

What on earth are you talking about ?

Let's do a direct comparison assuming you do do around 5 trades a day:

Costs:

IB
5 x $4.8 = $24

GNI
5 x $12 = $60

So a saving of $36 in just one day of trading using IB and even with a $30 cost to use Ninja you still save $6 in just one day !!!

So based on that it is IB (No contest)

But as I have said before there is nothing wrong with the IB TWS and I will beat anyone using an API platform into and out of the market everytime hands down and at better prices.

Do you work for GNI by any chance ?

Paul

?! Thats what I meant, IB works out WAY cheaper, No contest

I dont work for them, but I do PAY them (what seems extortionate rates of Comission) .The subject of this thread being "are there better alternatives ?"

On Elite Trader there's a thread by a guy from Velocity trader. His co. charges $1.95/side $3.90/round trip plus $500 /month for the trading platform. If you do volume its a good deal

Their intra day margin on mini s&p is only $500

Last edited:
qaza said:
On Elite Trader there's a thread by a guy from Velocity trader. His co. charges $1.95/side $3.90/round trip plus $500 /month for the trading platform. If you do volume its a good deal

Thnx, I'm fairly active on EliteTrader, I joined this site and started this thread to get a UK perspective on trading US instruments, I'll take a look at velocity, cheers.

Kap

Kap,

My apologies, I misunderstood your post.

qaza,

You would need to be doing around 600 trades per month to benefit from this offer or 30 trades a day.

Paul

If you do volume then you can look back to GNI:

$1.95 per side if you do more than 1000 lots /mth (500 round turns).
Goes down to $1.575 for more than 3000, $1.50 for >5000, $1.425 for >10000, and $1.35 for > 20000. Considering $1.20 goes straight to the exchange that's not bad.

(I do have an account with them, but no other connection)

Yes, you are correct. £500/month for Jtrader plus access to up to 4 exchanges.
£400/month if you only need CBOT.

£100 less per month if you're happy with their own trading system, not Jtrader.

(100th post! And I'm now a 'Senior member' ! ooh er! Time to celebrate....)

zow said:
If you do volume then you can look back to GNI:

$1.95 per side if you do more than 1000 lots /mth (500 round turns).
Goes down to $1.575 for more than 3000, $1.50 for >5000, $1.425 for >10000, and $1.35 for > 20000. Considering $1.20 goes straight to the exchange that's not bad.

(I do have an account with them, but no other connection)

Yes, I do about 800 (+/-200) a month which doesn't qualify, I think u have to pay for the software also if u select that option, I'll give them a call to confirm.

this is kinda interesting for the more extreme amongst us

http://www.velocityfutures.com/commisions_schedule.html

qaza said:
Kap

have you looked at their margin ?

Velocity ?- yes just did, - intra day margin - :-0 Thats effing dangerous IMO, Deal4Free size tempting you into a hail mary position,. those days are over for me - I'll always have at least triple Overnight margin per contract so I can absorb a good beating every now and then ! ;)

Paul,

My Autotrader using the API will beat TWS any time...

Typical reaction time of a human is 0.6 seconds. By the time you have reacted I could have placed 100 orders using the API...

JonnyT

JonnyT,

Yes I am sure you could and my comparison was really aimed at those who like to point and click not a fully automated trading system such as you have. I would never trust a system to do it all for me and it gets a bit complex for trading of stocks.

Paul

Kap said:

Velocity ?- yes just did, - intra day margin - :-0 Thats effing dangerous IMO, Deal4Free size tempting you into a hail mary position,. those days are over for me - I'll always have at least triple Overnight margin per contract so I can absorb a good beating every now and then ! ;)

Must agree with you there Kap.
Small margin requirements are more dangerous than they are helpful. If you haven't at LEAST got the exchange minimum then you shouldn't be trading it. Even if you are confident of Your abilities, what could happen on a volatile day if most of the broker's clients only have minimal margin? They 'blow themselves up' and take your money with them. Such low margin requirements only encourage people who shouldn't trade to trade. Financial security is most important.
Talking of which, GNI is now wholly owned by 'MAN' the world's biggest hedge fund/futures broker and is in the FTSE 100.

Am I talking up GNI too much? Well, I've had no real complaints against them yet which is more than I can say for one of their competitors, Refco. (www.refcoeurope.com)
Might be worth giving them a go though to make up your own mind.......if you do half decent size you can basically haggle over commissions.

IB is very good, no pressure nothing. Just use with API, like Autotrader or Bracket trader you are in your control. It is fast and good. The main problem with IB is customer service. If you call them you need to wait long long time to get someone online.

If you are a volume trader like as you said 800 (+-/200) then I will refer to ffasttrader. They are cheaper than velocity futures. Just compare their rates with them, you will find it.
www.ffasttrade.com