Holy Commissions Batman

DionysusToast

Legendary member
5,963 1,501
On the way back from Batman today, I 'accidentally' wandered with my son into the Thai online trading expo (or something like that) in Central World, Bangkok.

I had a chat with a guy from one of the brokers there, I was interested in having a look at Thai Futures markets.

Good Lord it ain't cheap.

According to the guy from UOB, margin is 50,000 THB/contract, or $1,600 - that's OK
Value of each tick is 300 Baht/ $9.52
He said it was 10 ticks per point and 10 points was normal average range
Commissions start a 450 Baht PER SIDE - $14.28 per side or $28.56 per round turn

Apparently - if you do 100 lots a day, it goes down to 300 baht/$9.52 per round turn

I asked him how many contracts are traded a day - he smiled, puffed up his chest and said "about 10,000" - well I'm hardly bloody surprised at those rates.

Is this the most expensive futures market around?

Anyone fancy opening an account?

DionysusToast

Legendary member
5,963 1,501
lol! No & he wasn't riding a camel, either.

No - apparently there's a central committee that sets the rates the brokers have to use...

VielGeld

Experienced member
1,421 179
I don't think it's *that* much, though it is still quite prohibitive.

Last summer I was paying $30 per r/t for my options trades. This is without mentioning the spread, which is terrible for options as they are illiquid in most anything that isn't SPY.

Back when I first started out with my bank's "investment account", it was $70 per r/t. Talk about a rip-off... My mentality back then was "who cares about costs if I have big wins?" You dumb-***, VG! :mad:

These days I always take the spread + commissions into account. I've learned my hard lessons...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock