clycling - law

ketank

Hello

Any one knows the current state of LAW with riding bike in the payment???

Can we ride on payments?
Are there any exceptions?
What if no cycling lane?

thanks

I think its all down to local bylaws whether or not you can ride on the pavement. if you are allowed to ride on the pavement its usually marked with cycle symbols, thats what happens in my neck of the woods.

I lived in cambridge for a time and cyclists can use all pavements, pedestrians are in grave peril there from hundreds of students, believe me its a sport dodging em:LOL:

lol,

yeah it's very confusing especailly when hit with a £30 fine.

Pedestrians have priority.

I'm a cyclist and sometimes use pavements - rarely, but usualy slow right down to walking pace and that's usually only for about 10-20 yards.

What I find is cyclists don't slow down or go at speed. Also expecting pedestrians to make way for them.

Also, I hate kids that leave their bikes laid down right across the pavement instead of banked up against a wall or something. Really feel like kicking the bikes but know I'll get a kicking in turn.

What did you do to deserve the £30 fine, when where what time?

Hello

Can we ride on payments?
What if no cycling lane?

thanks

I think it depends on where you're cycling. Through a town centre or shopping mall is likely to be more of a problem than in a village or in the countryside.

Where possible along busy roads, and where the pavements are smooth, wide & unobstructed enough for cycling, I've always used pavements. Have always avoided urban centres & busy roads where ever possible.

Have not road my bike to any extent on the roads for about 6 years. I think its just too unsafe, even in my rural area, and i fear for the cyclists i see on main roads riding to work without (and with) helmets, and the majority of road users have very little concern for cyslists safety.

The most perilous situation I've been in occurred on a bycycle about 11 years ago.

I was cycling on the pavement alongside a busy 60mph speed limit road, but it was a quiet summer evening. I was heading down a lane off to the right and stopped opposite it. This is on a bend where you can see about 100m one direction, and about 50m in the other.
Instead of getting off the bike and quickly crossing the road on foot, i carelessly remained seated, and dropped off the curb propelling myself forward by foot so that i could then start to pedal the rest of the way across the road.
It was quiet, and just as i was about to start pedalling, an XR3I came from the right (with the 50m view round the bend) at 60+MPH. I didn't risk starting to pedal, and quickly made my way across to the other side of the road, pushing forward with my feet/foot, not sitting on the saddle.

I made it comfortably onto the far side of the other side of the road B4 the boyracer passed. Had I , slipped, panicked or froze, I'd have been mincemeet. This certainly made my heart beat very fast, and was the most in danger i have ever felt, and to some extent my life flashed before my eyes!

This tought me a few VERY valuable lessons about cycling & pavements.
1. Avoid such a crossing on a banana bend if possible. Not only is vision limited, but sound is limited also.
2. If crossing directly from a pavement to a side road, GET OFF THE BIKE AND WALK.

3. Riding on pavements can also cause the cyclists hazards if not done correctly.
Other problems i have found with cycling on a pavement next to roads are narrow pavements, overgrown bushes that whip you as you go by, plants growing through the tarmac. And the obvious dangers that these hazards could cause, particularly if you are on a pavement heading in the direction of oncoming traffic, if you were to lose balance.

Last edited:
The most perilous situation I've been in occurred on a bycycle about 11 years ago.

I was cycling on the pavement alongside a busy 60mph speed limit road, but it was a quiet summer evening. I was heading down a lane off to the right and stopped opposite it. This is on a bend where you can see about 100m one direction, and about 50m in the other.
Instead of getting off the bike and quickly crossing the road on foot, i carelessly remained seated, and dropped off the curb propelling myself forward by foot so that i could then start to pedal the rest of the way across the road.
It was quiet, and just as i was about to start pedalling, an XR3I came from the right (with the 50m view round the bend) at 60+MPH. I didn't risk starting to pedal, and quickly made my way across to the other side of the road, pushing forward with my feet/foot, not sitting on the saddle.

I made it comfortably onto the far side of the other side of the road B4 the boyracer passed. Had I , slipped, panicked or froze, I'd have been mincemeet. This certainly made my heart beat very fast, and was the most in danger i have ever felt, and to some extent my life flashed before my eyes!

This tought me a few VERY valuable lessons about cycling & pavements.
1. Avoid such a crossing on a banana bend if possible. Not only is vision limited, but sound is limited also.
2. If crossing directly from a pavement to a side road, GET OFF THE BIKE AND WALK.

3. Riding on pavements can also cause the cyclists hazards if not done correctly.
Other problems i have found with cycling on a pavement next to roads are narrow pavements, overgrown bushes that whip you as you go by, plants growing through the tarmac. And the obvious dangers that these hazards could cause, particularly if you are on a pavement heading in the direction of oncoming traffic, if you were to lose balance.

I had one really scary one at a little roundabout at Mile End on the way back home from work once. This was when I first started cycling. I may have been few months old on the saddle back in 96 sometime.

Big BIG lorry was coming round and as they accellerate slowly I thought I could easily zip out onto the roundabout and go straight up to Stratford.

Unfortunately I was peddling on high gear so when I did zip out my accelleration was considerably slower than the juggernaut coming right up my **** only just couple of meters behind me. It had to break and tooted it's air horn or ship horn what ever it was. Like you say I thought this is it. I'm well and truely gone... I had the Scooby Doo kind of hair raising experience. At the back of my head it was. Never realised why in the cartoons, their hair spiked up. As I reflected upon my death defying encounter the cartoon dawned on me of all things.

Also, that lorry driver, shouldn't have hooted it's horn. Highway code book says so - especially against cyclists and horse riders etc. ******* he was. Could have given me a heart attack if not for my fine fit highly tune super fit body. :cheesy:

Two falls accidents I did have were both my fault.

1. I was peddling through a car park on the way to work. It was middle of winter very cold. I saw ice had formed so what did I do? Put my brakes on to slow down. Slid to my right hand side... :eek:

If I had not braked I reckon I would have been alright. Dented my ego more than anything else.

2. I was peddling through Victoria park near Bethnal Green on the way into work again. I had purchased one of those carbon masks. As I used to go through the park I would take it off and put it on at the other end whilst cycling. On this occasion for some reason my bike just swerved to the left. As I wasn't holding the handle bars, I went to the right.

Bad fall. I landed on the palm of my hands and rolled over and ended up sitting on my **** looking behind the direction I was cycling. I thought pooh sticks and then the pain on my right shoulder hit me. I busted my right shoulder. It was strange as I couldn't lift up my arm and it sort of clicked or felt dislocated. With lots of pain thrown in for good measure.

A good smaritan - another cyclist stopped by to help me. An ambulance was called and I was taken to have it all xrayed and checked up etc. I hadn't broken anything but badly torn one of the three tendens around the cartridge muscles.

That's my story.

Both incidents happened within the first year or so. I still cycle but have many more years of experience.

Always wear helmet, flourescents and carry lights.

Always wear helmet, flourescents and carry lights.

Definately.

I always wear a helmet after knocking myself unconscious as a kid, going over the handle bars.

I also took up skiing, realised how vulnerable i felt to injury, so bought a skiing helmet also . The potential for skiing head injuries is pretty big, when you consider all the rocks, trees etc. XXL or XXXL Leedom helmet, can't remember which size!

The worst thing with any bike incident, jogging incident is that YOU KNOW you're about to go over the handle bars, fall flat on your face etc. and theres nothing you can do to stop it......And it's gonna hurt, the best you can hope for is a reduced injury if you can prepare for the landing!

Yet to hurt myself on skis (surprisngly), but have been flat on my *** several times on the few occassions I've tried it.

Hello

Can we ride on payments?
What if no cycling lane?

thanks

I think if you are blind, then thats o.k., same for cycling through shops n things. However, proving your case would be interesting.

OJ's lawyer, should swing it though.

Good luck. or Trinnng, Trinnng As the dutch say.

Is there any precedent in Court of Law about cycling on the payments - IF you refused to pay the fine.....??

Until then I will keep cycling my folding Brompton on pavements of London suburbs pavements when I find that it is dangerous for my kids and me to cycle on the roads......!!

We must feel safe to cycle...if not then I will choose safe option that has been made available for me...!!

Cars have their way...and so the cycles....!!

regards.....

The law is you should not use the pavement for cycling,but often the police just turn a blind eye to it when it involves children and in areas where the roads are very busy..that is what I was told by the police after a cyclist did a somersault over the bonnet of my car .A pragmactic approach ,but leaves you open to the subjective 'mood' of the policeman who might be watching you.

"we are good at somersaulting over cars bonnets" ...I think when you do it on my driveway you don't actually have anything to complain about ! yes, the prat actually swerved to miss someone on the pavement and ran clean into me on my driveway as I was about to come out...he should be thankful I only charged him for the headlight and not the rose bushes he landed in ...

"we are good at somersaulting over cars bonnets" ...I think when you do it on my driveway you don't actually have anything to complain about ! yes, the prat actually swerved to miss someone on the pavement and ran clean into me on my driveway as I was about to come out...he should be thankful I only charged him for the headlight and not the rose bushes he landed in ...

I take it your SUV didn't have any bright fluerescnt gear on at the time?:p

"I take it your SUV didn't have any bright fluerescnt gear on at the time"....no ,but I'm seriously thinking about painting a red stripe down my bull bars for every cyclist i can get..perhaps I should use black for everyone that doesn't get up without a stretcher

....number of times I have faced prats coming out of their drive ways with a ferocity of a failed nigel mansell takes some beating.......

....as far as they are concerned the cyclists should not be anywhere on this plant....As they drive a bigger metal junk they believe they own this plant....!!