Climate Change

Most people are aware of the dangers of climate change, over population, pollution etc. but the ignorance of one
man is seriously undermining the efforts to do something about it. It is just a great pity that he is in charge of the 2nd biggest polluting country and when every other country on the planet has signed up to do something about it before it is too late except the idiot's country.

I would argue the point that "...most people are aware of the dangers of climate change"...etc etc. as human nature makes it far easier to pretend that everything's fine in the garden....or will be sort of OK for the forseeable future, which in most people's case is a very narrow window. The reason why Trump's view of things goes down quite well in the USA is because there are millions of people who either believe what he says or want to believe what he says. They will continue to do so up until the pain threshold is reached, which will be when the tornadoes start laying waste to wider areas and the wildfires kill thousands on a regular basis and so on...but even then, I would guess that there'll still be a large number of people shouting "Hoax!".

Some years ago, I had a sobering conversation with my late uncle on the subject of evolution, which was a huge mistake on my part as I'd forgotten he was a Creationist. Our chat ground to a halt when, having explained to me very patiently that evolution was a hoax, he then went on to dismiss my rebuttal "....but what about the dinosaurs?" with the smug rejoinder "Work of the devil!". This was a man passionately interested in science and technology and by profession a medical doctor but I realised at that moment that our future conversations would have to avoid any reference to God...or Darwin, and his crazy notions. And so it will be with the Trumpist climate-change-denier folks - however inconvenient it may be, nothing will change until it becomes completely ridiculous to continue to suspend disbelief and taking a wild guess, that ain't going to happen until Michelle is president :p

You guys have the wrong end of the schtick. Climate change agenda is a hoax not climate change.

Climate change is real, it’s the political agenda that is a scam.

You guys have the wrong end of the schtick. Climate change agenda is a hoax not climate change.

Climate change is real, it’s the political agenda that is a scam.
Schtick is as schticks are. The political will (however self-serving) to do something about making our candle a tad less brief might be arse about face but "scam" implies that no good is expected. ...or do I have your meaning farce about ace as well?

I take it that you think that what Trump is doing/not doing is not a "scam"?

Schtick is as schticks are. The political will (however self-serving) to do something about making our candle a tad less brief might be arse about face but "scam" implies that no good is expected. ...or do I have your meaning farce about ace as well?

I take it that you think that what Trump is doing/not doing is not a "scam"?

I’m not really bothered about what Trump isn’t doing, if he isn’t doing anything then he can’t be scamming.

The suspicion lies with the political global climate agenda as set by our current crop of undemocratic and untrustworthy global leaders.

They who are willing to use autistic children in their taxing games is truly shocking.

For a gathering of eco loonies to be telling us the world will end in 10 years is shocking, is as batty as the King James Bible but with real consequences for those young minds that believe the hoax.

The Macrons, Mays, Trudeau’s, Soros’s and Blair’s of the world have lost the trust of many people in their modus operandi, large sections of the global citizenship believe very little that is espoused by our leadership and see the hoax in everything, I just happen to be one of those Gilet Jaunes.

There’s no debate, no discussion, no parlance, no negotiation, there’s plenty of censorship though and that basically tells the story.

The truth is out there somewhere, but it’s not with the politics. So why not a hoax?

Last edited:
The truth is out there somewhere, but it’s not with the politics. So why not a hoax?

I sort of follow what you're saying, I think, my mistake was taking "politics" to mean elected politicians. I would not have chosen the word "hoax" so much as "a pack of lies" but then, I was ever a touch semantically challenged.

glacier.jpg

Well I woke up this morning, my bank balance hasn't increased, I don't have any more wrinkles and I've not retired or 6ft under, I did look for my time machine wondering where the last 10 1/2 years have disappeared to, I thought we had 12 years before the world ends not 18 months? Do you think we will all die in 6 months next?

Best we introduce some new taxes and change our lifestyles quick, otherwise we're all doomed, doomed I tell yer. The end of the world really is nigh!

Good one Charlie ! But asses like Trump are so stubborn in their misplaced opinions he is unlikely to change.
The tipping point where the change is irreversible and quickening up, can't be far off now.
Buying more weapons. by current world leaders. for the military won't help in the climate change crisis either.

. . . But asses like Trump are so stubborn in their misplaced opinions he is unlikely to change. . .
Pat,
You might want to check out the offerings of Bjorn Lomborg. In this Prager Uni video he explains why the the Paris Climate Agreement won't actually change the climate. As we all know, Trump is a businessman first and foremost and wants to direct funds where they'll have the most impact. On this basis, he's probably right to withdraw from the Paris agreement which will merely result in massive sums of money being spent for negligible benefit to the climate. Enjoy . . .

Pat,
You might want to check out the offerings of Bjorn Lomborg. In this Prager Uni video he explains why the the Paris Climate Agreement won't actually change the climate. As we all know, Trump is a businessman first and foremost and wants to direct funds where they'll have the most impact. On this basis, he's probably right to withdraw from the Paris agreement which will merely result in massive sums of money being spent for negligible benefit to the climate. Enjoy . . .

Everyone talks their book Tim !

There are two salient issues regarding this vid:

Firstly, it's worth re-reading what the aims of the Paris agreement are, beyond the headlines ( i.e the notorious 2°) as they're just the tip of the rapidly melting iceberg.

Secondly, of course the absurdist reduction to the single goal 'gainst the trillions cost is absurd because that's exactly the point. If the agenda is promote a particular standpoint (clue: check out Prager Uni and their backers) then omission and misrepresentation go with the territory.

Imho, absolutely true that the Paris agreement per se will not reduce the temperature as much and as quickly as hoped but what it has already done is create some of the conditions where mitigation and management are possible and being meaningfully discussed by people and governments the world over.. It's worth bearing in minding that the drive to electric cars is part of this, as is the growing trend toward artificial meat - burning oil and rain forests are two things that on their own go a long way to reducing the damage to the ecosystem. The underlying threat is usually (mis)represented in the same way that the tree-buggers do their greeny best to get across the "Save the planet" message: the planet does not need saving, we* do - if you eliminate a creature's habitat, that quite often leads to extinction and the creatures in question are us.

*I'm reminded of a story told about Louis XIV: a merchant pleaded with the king for settlement of a long overdue bill for supplies he'd delivered to the army, saying "Your Majesty, after all, I must live" whereupon the king casually remarked " I don't see why."

I had no idea that the projected temperature figures for 2100 are so poor.
There is it seems a real threat from climate change even if the some of the mentally challenged heads of countries can't understand that.
Some more drastic changes need to be made it seems. Particularly from China and the US. The 2 dirtiest countries on the planet.

There is it seems a real threat from climate change even if the some of the mentally challenged heads of countries can't understand that.
Some more drastic changes need to be made it seems. Particularly from China and the US. The 2 dirtiest countries on the planet.

Just plant some trees Pat. It will help offset the willful destruction that is happening in Brazil. Natural carbon capture and re-balancing of the ecosystem is the way forward, coupled with a move towards renewables.

Whatever happened to hydrogen fuel cells, they are more eco friendly than batteries, surely?

Sent from my AGM X3 using Tapatalk

Particularly from China and the US. The 2 dirtiest countries on the planet.

At least you have one of the continents correct.

I find it hard to believe that such small undeveloped countries like Qatar etc. pump out more filth into the atmosphere than China or the US.

I would like to add an idea of combatting climate change and that is to cover buildings with moss, especially high rise ones in cities. They would take a lot of CO2 out of the atmosphere and not cost very much to maintain. Hopefully the Mayors etc. of major cities could do this, London could lead the way.

Didn't know where to put this but climate change and growth of human population likely to bring wildlife into the foray too.

Didn't know where to put this but climate change and growth of human population likely to bring wildlife into the foray too.

Population growth is key to pollution and destruction of wildlife habitats and ecology, so a direct human cause and effect link to be made here.

The debate about whether population growth or natural processes have a causal effect on climate change remains open in my mind with no definitive proof on either side of the argument so far.

However, steps to reduce population growth should form part of any policy to tackle pollution and flora/fauna destruction (and by implication climate change). Unfortunately because this is a moral and ethical choice, no one appears to want to tackle it and yet it appears to be a choice of simple logic, reduce the population = reduction in climate change.

I find it hard to believe that such small undeveloped countries like Qatar etc. pump out more filth into the atmosphere than China or the US.

I would like to add an idea of combatting climate change and that is to cover buildings with moss, especially high rise ones in cities. They would take a lot of CO2 out of the atmosphere and not cost very much to maintain. Hopefully the Mayors etc. of major cities could do this, London could lead the way.
I suppose those countries are considered dirty having open drains in the streets etc. I really meant the amount of CO2 and toxins released into the atmosphere.

Population growth is key to pollution and destruction of wildlife habitats and ecology, so a direct human cause and effect link to be made here.

The debate about whether population growth or natural processes have a causal effect on climate change remains open in my mind with no definitive proof on either side of the argument so far.

However, steps to reduce population growth should form part of any policy to tackle pollution and flora/fauna destruction (and by implication climate change). Unfortunately because this is a moral and ethical choice, no one appears to want to tackle it and yet it appears to be a choice of simple logic, reduce the population = reduction in climate change.

China actually made some progress on population growth. India, Pakistan etc are in such chaos it doesn't look likely in the near future. Particularly Africa think they can get away doing nothing as they can ship their surplus millions onto Europe. Merkel's open door policy will be regreted I fear.