Claiming for Software Etc

Electech

As I am filling in my Tax Return (Late as Usual) I was wondering if I could claim for any financial Software and Magazines that I buy against any capital gains that I make.

Also can anyone recommend any good software or resources that I could use to work out my capital gains on share sells as I am not happy with the way that Updata Professional works it out

Hi

You cannot deduct costs for financial software or magazines from capital gains. The only allowable costs against capital gains on share transactions are stamp duty and broker commissions.

If you have "trader" tax status then the mags etc would be deductible expenses, however given the current £10,100 annual allowance and 18% tax rate, you're likely better maintaining investor status. More info:Investor versus Trader

When you say you're not happy with the way Updata works out your capital gains, could you explain a bit more? HMRC require that gains be calculated according to a strict set of rules called the Share Identification Rules. Something to be aware of is that the Identification rules changed from 6 April 2008 and the "last in first out" rules no longer apply. Instead, share disposals are now matched with purchases of shares in the same company in the following order:
* Shares acquired on the same day as the disposal
* Shares acquired in the 30 days following the date of disposal, matched on a first in first out basis (this is called the ‘bed and breakfasting’ rule)
* Shares acquired before the disposal date, which are pooled together and their cost averaged (a “Section 104” holding).

If you are looking for alternative software, you can currently use the timetotrade CGT calculator for free. Just set up a free account and input your share transactions in the Portfolio pages and the CGT calculator does the rest.

Thanks very much for your reply the information regarding claiming back for software, and your links.

The problem I have with the Updata calculations is that it differs from one I used on the internet.
I sent Updata a copy of my portfolio to check and they said it was correct.

I will try and use the link to the CGT calculations that you sent me and see if this is different from the other two.

I have this morning subscribed to Sharescope as my Updata subscription expires shortly, hopefully this software will be better for me to use than Updata Professional