Charts for Backtesting Forex

bluesmanmt

Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post...anyway, I'm having the hardest time finding charts to use for backtest. MT4 charts jump back to current data at very inopertune times when tring to track hourly for 6 or 7 months ago...it's very strage. MT4 charts have all the data I need but this glitch makes them so hard to use... you have to go back and find the exact hour you were on each time it jumps. Charts on Net Dania don't go back in time. All Java charts I have found are real time only. Charts on FXSolutions go back daily for 10 years, but only a few months hourly. Anyway, my question is that I need some useable FOREX charts with hourly data that go back a year or so. The system I'm trying to backtest is called "Forex Assassin", and it would be very difficult to program as it depends on previous week's data not only when a buy or sell signal is hit but to compute buy and sell points in the first place. There are many changeable variables in it and different ones are undoubedly more effective on certain currencies. If I could program it, that would be great....but I haven't found, or at least haven't recognized the ability to reference past data and use them as variables in a programmable environment, so I've resigned myself to manually navigating workable charts if I can find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Charts

It is difficult to get forex history for free first of all. If you get charts of data, the data could have errors. I have found a free demo account that you can use - although you only have a month for this - unless you can get it reactivated - which has the results on the complete chart - not a number sequence on a spreadsheet. The supplier of this demo account is GFT. If you apply for the demo account, you get the "dealbook 360" software. Within this charting, you can get "history" and go back YEARS on a 60 minute chart and about a year and a half on a 10 minute chart for example. I am currently using this software/charting to do some MANUAL testing. I am not sure if you can do system testing with their charting - it is very "complete" - but I am not sure of the limitations.
GFT - Online Trading Software Platforms - DealBook® 360
Once you get to the platform - once you have downloaded it all and set up an account - if you look on any chart, the seventh symbol beside the timeframe and chart type [candlestick/line/bar/etc] you will see a symbol that looks like a little book. When you click this on, you can request CHART data by clicking on the icon and entering the "from/to' data using the expandable calenders.

Last edited:
MT4 charts jump back to current data at very inopertune times when tring to track hourly for 6 or 7 months ago...it's very strage.

You need to click on the icon that looks like an L next to a little green triangle. This toggles the chart auto-return.

Attachments

• ta-2.jpg.gif
    ta-2.jpg.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 255
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post...anyway, I'm having the hardest time finding charts to use for backtest. MT4 charts jump back to current data at very inopertune times when tring to track hourly for 6 or 7 months ago...it's very strage. MT4 charts have all the data I need but this glitch makes them so hard to use... you have to go back and find the exact hour you were on each time it jumps. Charts on Net Dania don't go back in time. All Java charts I have found are real time only. Charts on FXSolutions go back daily for 10 years, but only a few months hourly. Anyway, my question is that I need some useable FOREX charts with hourly data that go back a year or so. The system I'm trying to backtest is called "Forex Assassin", and it would be very difficult to program as it depends on previous week's data not only when a buy or sell signal is hit but to compute buy and sell points in the first place. There are many changeable variables in it and different ones are undoubedly more effective on certain currencies. If I could program it, that would be great....but I haven't found, or at least haven't recognized the ability to reference past data and use them as variables in a programmable environment, so I've resigned myself to manually navigating workable charts if I can find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

You could try ADVFN at Free stock prices, quotes, stock charts, market news and streaming real-time stock quotes.

They provide free streaming charts that go back months, indecies are real time but I think forex data is 15 min delayed.

I found their charts very versatile to use once I figured out a way round all the bugs.

One odd thing I noticed though is that when a chart is set to daily TF often the ranges are skewed to a point on the previous bar, ie skewed to the previous days O, H, L or C.

dd