CFA for FX / Commodities?

Omj

Hi all,

I've actually joined this site since I am in need of some career advice.

I graduated from a business computing background, with one year internship in a tier 1 American bank in London, and I am now working for a major Swiss bank in Switzerland, on the trade floor, though in a technology support role.

My experience thus far has been in technology banking.

Ideally, I would like to work as a Trader in FX, or Commodities, since those two areas are of most interest to me.

Since I do not have the experience, nor the educational background, I am finding this somewhat difficult.

Would a CFA help to work in FX trading for instance ? What would you recommend, if this is not the case ?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Regards.

A CFA is more of a securities analysis (meaning stocks/bonds) and/or portfolio management designation. You probably won't find a heck of a lot of value there for FX or commodities trading. That said, look that the hiring requirements for the types of jobs you want to see what employers are looking for to get the real skinny.

I agree with Rhody Trader - a CFA is quite pointless for trading positions. Infact, I have heard that having a CFA charter has a slight negative impact on trading position applications. Best thing you can do is start trading your own account. What better way to show you're interested in trading than by trading?

You'd also might want to look into gaining skills in computer programming - it isn't absolutely necessary, but more and more firms are looking for individuals with good computer skills to program trades.

I agree with Rhody Trader - a CFA is quite pointless for trading positions. Infact, I have heard that having a CFA charter has a slight negative impact on trading position applications. Best thing you can do is start trading your own account. What better way to show you're interested in trading than by trading?

You'd also might want to look into gaining skills in computer programming - it isn't absolutely necessary, but more and more firms are looking for individuals with good computer skills to program trades.

Hi, I just learned about the benefits of joining the Market Technicians Association (MTA). They provide excellent educational tools, and you can begin earning your CMT credential with them. Click the link below to view a short message telling you all about it! http://media.mta.org/movie

This field of studying fits well with FX/Commodoties trading.
After reading the movie, you should try to learn more about their education program,
their required books can be a very helpful if you believe in chart reading.