Career Advise for a Graduate would be equities trader

CassidyJ

Hi guys!

I know you have all probably read a similar thread but I am in real need of advise.

I recently in July Graduated from the University of Birmingham with a 1st class BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree. During my time at university I quickly realised that IT was not the proffession for me even though I am extremly gifted in the field I find it utterly boring (no offense to the IT guys out there!).

I took it upon myself to do as many modules outside of IT as I could, taken such modules as Economics and Accounting in which I gained a 2:1 and a 1st in respectively.
During my 2nd year at university I gained a passion for the finalcial markets and have done alot of self studying.

I have applied to many IB grad programs and even trading houses such as Met Traders and Mako Global without success.. haven't even reached the interview stage so there is clearly something I am doing wrong.

I started a Job in July working for Fidessa, a major sell-side software provider working as a consultant hoping to gain trading floor experience to get into trading via the back end but it doesn't seem as if there will be light at the end of this tunnel....

So I have decided to do whatever it takes to make the dream come true and would like some advise from people out there. I have 3 strategies so far which I will attempt to implement.

1) Write to every IB, Trading house, Hedge Fund offering my services for free! For three months as an itern in return for a chance to prove myself and win a trainee or junior trader position at the end.

2) Attempt to get into contact with Head traders and do the same as above but write personal emails direct to them individually

3) Re-Apply to all IB with a much improved application..... i know but it worth a shot.

If anybody out there can offer any advise I would be truly greatfull!

Hi guys!

3) Re-Apply to all IB with a much improved application..... i know but it worth a shot.

If anybody out there can offer any advise I would be truly greatfull!

I think all the deadlines have passed now, so you'd probably need to wait until next year. Sorry I can't offer more help - I'm still at uni, so have little experience.

2) Attempt to get into contact with Head traders and do the same as above but write personal emails direct to them individually

I don't recommend doing that, it's more likely to **** them off if it comes out of the blue.

i think your cv is not really well written or there is definately something wrong if your not even getting interviews with a 1st from bham! I got a 2:2 from Imperial and ive had quite a few interviews. I would revamp my CV, maybe go back to careers at bham and ask for help. What were your a levels? Anything over BBB and you shouldnt really have any problem there either. You could try interning at Societe General... i read they have loads off positions they want interns for. Try efinancial careers, helped me get interviews!