Best Thread Capital Spreads

In a word, yes.

If you page back a few posts you will find I had similar if not identical issues on an overnight trade. Look for the dialogue between laptop01 and myself.

Simon replied to my issues and declared it to be a bug caused by some software upgrades. CS refunded the difference between my original stop and the price I had to close at manually sometime later.

My issue was not one of market volatility. Of course if your problem was that the stop got jumped through in heavy market volatility then you have no recourse. Stops are not guaranteed.

I see this issue as being part of the current subject under discussion here - the fact that there is a delay in the CS trade execution layer, and a delay in the CS graphical presentation layer. Those two issues in combination can provide the nightmare of not really knowing where you are upto - and by definition it happens at the 2 points you most need to be in control, namely order placement and order closure.

so the issues seem to happen when it £10 a pt or more thro the deal box? Until then its usually ok? are market orders at £10 + accepted ok? I usually put target limits so there is no deal box in the exit execution. They should work regardless of size per point?

I read somewhere else on the boards that for larger bets maybe ig or cmc might feel more comfortable with the bigger size of trade ? i haven't tried them so i don't know.

Maybe after £10 a pt one is in a new super league of confident trader and no longer 'learning to spread bet' which puts you in the 5% club of those who have found consistent success? :)

Davecrom01,
thanks, I didn't go back that far in this thread.
Just a note from Capitalspreads customer support regarding filling of stop orders which makes me more confident to trade with them:"I can confirm that if you are sure that you stop level should have been reached, be assured that we will close your position at either your stop level or at the next available price if there is any gapping of the
markets. Even through we do not guarantee stops, if you stop level has
been reached your position will be closed."

Good enough. However, it doesn't resolve situations when you have an outstanding stop order and another trade in the pipeline (happened to me today). I had to close the "not stopped" long trade manually and reverse into a short position. In this case, since I closed the long trade manually, they wouldn't give me the loss back (the loss being the difference between my stop level and level at which I closed the trade manually).

Customer support:
"If you had left the position then we would have been able to close the
position at your specified stop level. However, when you manually close
out of a trade before we are able to execute the stop then you have
decided to cancel your stop."

Otherwise I think they're pretty good with transparency and customer service is usually quick to reply. On the other hand, if they didn't have 1 point spread on FTSE I would be trading with IG who have a much better platform...

Anyone having a problem with CS charting? Suddenly my charts won't open. They just time out. It happened last night too on my main computer AND on my laptop. I know its not an internet issue. It works at the office so I presume its something to do with my PC...

Otherwise I think they're pretty good with transparency and customer service is usually quick to reply. On the other hand, if they didn't have 1 point spread on FTSE I would be trading with IG who have a much better platform...

Agreed about IG having a better platform. However, on the issue of spread, it is hats off to CS for the FTSE. How about we all aggressively lobby CMC, IG, et al for tighter spreads on that one instrument. Given that CS aren't really much tighter anywhere else, the FTSE is probably the only instrument worth using them for over another firm.

I think CS did a lot of good work in getting other firms to narrow their spreads. As SB becomes more popular, I hope there will be increased competition resulting in better deals all round. 2 on the FTSE is just too wide. 3 on the Dax wasn't great, but you get 2 on that pretty much anywhere. I wonder how many requests CMC and IG would need to receive before lowering their FTSE spread. I wonder if a few of their large traders ringing up to say they are moving to CS for better Z spreads would be enough?

I am interested to know, do you get re-quotes or slow execution? Re-quote has not been an issue with CS as far as I am concerned. There have been some problems with "server error message" in the past, but this seems to have been solved by CS. Slow execution yes, CS do not have auto execution, this could certainly be an issue in a fast moving market. To their defense, one can get the right price even if it takes some time for them to execute. As far as prices reflecting the underlying instrument, all SB's have their own prices, so as long as the product reflects the movement of the underlying asset, I don't see a problem.

I would agree....fills are sometimes slow...but prices are filled and not requoted.

Anyone having a problem with CS charting? Suddenly my charts won't open. They just time out. It happened last night too on my main computer AND on my laptop. I know its not an internet issue. It works at the office so I presume its something to do with my PC...

No Problems over the past few days...although when I got a new laptop a few weeks back I did need to download java updates to get the charts running. Try that and see if it works....

"price no longer valid" I've also had this problem numerous times (though not in the last couple of weeks). This is something I mentioned in a previous post. In addition, I get the following problems:

- "Lost connection to front end processor" (it comes back but only after a frustratingly long time [1 min.] if one is trying to do intra-day trading);

- The 1-minute charts occasionally pause for 1 or 2 minutes;

- It crashes, on average, twice per day (some incompatibility with Internet Explorer and Flash Player - yes, I DO have the latest versions)

I still think it's an ok platform for trading one-hour charts and above, but for anything shorter it really isn't up to any suitable standard. I'm off to FuturesBetting.com because it's DMA - nobody twix me and the exchange.

Sorry..only just saw this reference to me. Yes I have had numerous "price no longer valid..especially when betting 10 quid or more on front month Crude (WTI or Brent) and Wall Street Daily.
zuke, thank you for your reply, no problem, it is easy to miss information when reading the posts. Yes a few traders on this thread seem to have problems with re-quotes, especially when the stakes are raised, and that is absolutely not satisfactory. My stakes are generally small, due to the fact that CS do not provide user predefined stop loss. I wouldn't dream of betting £10, there is just too much of a security risk trading with CS with larger stakes. Besides, going by what others are telling on this thread, there seem to be even more problems ahead. Yes, Futuresbetting.com are providing DMA, they have none of these problems that you are mentioning, but one has other issues to deal with. I have never come to understand the benefit of trading with them vs futures (e.g. IB), apart from the tax benefit of course. They are a lot more expensive, and it is also not 100% certain that you get your profit in trading at the end of the year, meaning you will miss out on the tax deduction.

Hi, I went through the last few pages but didn't find anything related to the following problem. So I though I would mention it to get your views.
I've been with CS for 3 weeks and the first two weeks, everything worked just fine. As of Friday last week, I started to have problems with execution of stop orders. I usually use a stop order to enter the market (on a breakout) and the following has been happenning.
I entered two stop orders (OCO) so that I'm in a position when breakout occurs. When the stop level is broken, the orders would dissappear from the Order book tab but no position would be opened on the Open positions tab. It was working just fine until last Friday, I guess. It's pretty annoying since I'm never quite sure if I have a position opened or not. This however is not so bad. I might miss a trade, ok.
But today what happened to me, I was long FTSE and the market turned against me. I had a stop order entered about 12 points away. However the stop order didn't get executed. I called CS (as they suggested in these situations) but couldn't reach them. After a while I decided to close the position manually with a loss of 21 points on top of my 12 points SL. Really annoying.
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Yes I have had exactly the same problem trading the FX news releases with OCO orders. I think my record for a position disappearing was about 6 minutes. Anyway after complaining heavily through email it stopped, and has since gotten much better. However, I seldom trade the news these days, so I cannot really tell you how they handle this. Stop orders not getting executed has also happened to me, I closed the position manually and was, after email communication refunded by CS.

Problems with quick trades

Re recent discussions, I gave up ages ago trying to trade on CS for any fast in-and-out trades, e.g. after major announcements. This was due to the combination of very slow speed to process a trade - while I might be watching the price turn and move against me - and the "price no longer valid" message. A combination of the two together when trying to exit a trade is the most lethal! I am not aware of having been put on "refer to dealer", though I have not enquired.

My stakes are small - usually only £1 per point at the moment until I can find a way of making a regular profit. The max. about a year ago was £5 per point. In other words they are probably not targetting those who bet for big stakes, or any of you personally, this is just how their system works and they do it to everyone!

About a year ago their system seemed to execute trades fater and more often - but their price feed lagged behind others. So it was very easy to make profits if one checked another faster price feed. But then they got the price feed faster, but made no improvement to the speed of execution, in fact it looked to me as if it got worse.

For a few weeks earlier this year I made some profits trading on Worldspreads, who are faster to fill, but was then put on refer to dealer which put an end to the profits. Now I get quick fills with them some of the time, in slow trading periods, but they always monitor trades after major announcements. At least though they will offer you another price - albeit sometimes way different from the one you clicked on - rather than CS's "price no longer valid" which means you have to start all over again and have no idea if the next trade will go through either.

I find CS OK for scalping e.g. the FTSE in normal conditions - the price is not moving so fast, so I can usually get a trade filled in time without the price having moved so far that I get the "no longer valid" message. And I will use CS for a trade which I expect to last longer than a few minutes. The spreads are pretty good, after all.

Re recent discussions, I gave up ages ago trying to trade on CS for any fast in-and-out trades, e.g. after major announcements.
Fast in and out after figures is difficult enough to do at the exchange - you are asking for trouble if you try it in the bucket shops. If you don't get filled you could get stuck in a position which is rapidly moving against you, and if you do make profit you may be suspected of picking them off on a latent quote.

This was due to the combination of very slow speed to process a trade - while I might be watching the price turn and move against me - and the "price no longer valid" message. A combination of the two together when trying to exit a trade is the most lethal! I am not aware of having been put on "refer to dealer", though I have not enquired.

I experienced both problems in the course of normal trading. I get the odd requote with CMC, and have seen a price no longer valid on IG once, but it isn't anything too bad with them . I only trade on hourly bars and higher, but the CS execution speed and the price no longer valid message caused me to go elsewhere.

My stakes are small - usually only £1 per point at the moment until I can find a way of making a regular profit. The max. about a year ago was £5 per point. In other words they are probably not targetting those who bet for big stakes, or any of you personally, this is just how their system works and they do it to everyone!

About a year ago their system seemed to execute trades fater and more often - but their price feed lagged behind others. So it was very easy to make profits if one checked another faster price feed. But then they got the price feed faster, but made no improvement to the speed of execution, in fact it looked to me as if it got worse.

It looks like we have just found one of the "nightmare clients" that Simon mentions from time to time. I'm pretty astonished, but it appears that somebody is actually advocating picking SB firms off on slow quotes. With respect, it is people like you that make the SB firms think we are all out to rip them off, and we get bad service as a result! (On the other hand, SB firms should ensure that the prices don't lag - clients are paying for tax free access to the markets, not unreliable third party quotes)
For a few weeks earlier this year I made some profits trading on Worldspreads, who are faster to fill, but was then put on refer to dealer which put an end to the profits. Now I get quick fills with them some of the time, in slow trading periods, but they always monitor trades after major announcements. At least though they will offer you another price - albeit sometimes way different from the one you clicked on - rather than CS's "price no longer valid" which means you have to start all over again and have no idea if the next trade will go through either.

When you made some profits, were you trading normally or were you picking WS off with a faster feed too? As far as I know, there are few SB companies silly enough to ignore trades done after figures! I agree with your second point - at least with CMC you get another price which is one click away from getting you out of that position you don't want to be in, rather than having to wait and pull up another ticket. With CS, not only are you betting on the direction of the market, it is a gamble whether you get filled or not!
I find CS OK for scalping e.g. the FTSE in normal conditions - the price is not moving so fast, so I can usually get a trade filled in time without the price having moved so far that I get the "no longer valid" message. And I will use CS for a trade which I expect to last longer than a few minutes. The spreads are pretty good, after all.

By scalping, do you mean short term trading, or are you using what we might call Simon's definition of scalping (ie picking them off on a slow quote)? Are you actually sitting there with the Z order book and picking off the only bucket shop to offer a decent FTSE spread?

An interesting post mate!

Used to get decent execution on non FX and good executin on FX. Now I get ridiculously slow executions on all products and the odd re-quote. I may simply be being paranoid or it may be a genuine attempt against me. I actually dont care either way..I just know that it is unacceptable to me.

As I said before, I have a lot of time for Simon and I love CS's spreads and customer service..I just cant live with the tomfoolery that seems to be going on with my account.
I think a good thing would be to confront CS with the problems you are having. I have done this sometimes, it has helped me by doing so on some issues. CS often listen, it it seems they are more sensitive to complaints, in comparison with other companies. However there are a few matters apart from real "instant execution", that they have not been able to fulfill, despite many emails and posts on this thread. These are:

1. User predefined stop loss
2. Increased time before the Dealer ticket window times out

Simon has promised that he would look into this but nothing happens. It seems Simon and CS are not interested in improving their service in these areas, probably because they are making many extra bucks on denying us these basic platform functionalities. With a huge increased turnover and profit, it is my viewpoint CS owes us traders a better service. Without our trading contribution, Capitalspreads wouldn't be where they are today.

Simon has promised that he would look into this but nothing happens. It seems Simon and CS are not interested in improving their service in these areas, probably because they are making many extra bucks on denying us these basic platform functionalities.
In the past, Simon has been quite candid in stating that CS do not (or will not) support a feature because it is uneconomical for them to do so. If this was the case with the stoplosses and the deal ticket timeouts, I believe he would say so. I think the timeouts are to reduce load on their platform, and as for the stoplosses as a client can change a stop at any time perhaps they have not thought that it is a priority to change the CGSL.

In the past (and I can't be bothered looking up the exact posts), Simon has told us why CS won't implement certain changes as it would not be in their interest to do so. Off the top of my head, I remember that we were told their Dow spread couldn't be reduced because they hedge in the S&P (however, I think they have the best ES spreads in the business too). Further, we were told that the ability to cancel trades before they are filled has been removed due to clients using it to print pips over news announcements (on this point I think that the explanation is incorrect as this issue could be corrected by applying slippage and filling at the next reasonable price, or rejecting the trade as being on an invalid price). In summary, if there was a bottom line reason for not offering the changes you suggest, I think he would make us aware if asked.
With a huge increased turnover and profit, it is my viewpoint CS owes us traders a better service. Without our trading contribution, Capitalspreads wouldn't be where they are today.

Absolutely. If you don't feel you are getting the service you deserve from CS, then vote with your feet an trade somewhere else. I am sorry to hear that some customers feel that CS no longer provide a good service, but that is sometimes the way when good companies reach a certain size - the views of the individual punter and the commitment to providing the best possible service are swept away in consideration of the bottom line. Remember also they the other bucket shops probably wouldn't have had as much of an incentive to improve if it were not for the service offered by CS over the years.

I think it is perhaps harder for them to implement many of the changes people ask for

Capital Spreads employ the Ariel Titan I suite to power their entire IT operation. The full Titan I suite was intended to be a "brokerage in a box". It includes a customised user interface, administration site, price engine, order management system, and robust hosting solution. Titan I frees Capital’s management from having to manage an internal IT department

Ariel Communications Ltd

According to this they don't have an internal IT department so it is clear why they may find it harder and more expensive to change their platform. Other companies developed their own software so I imagine this makes it alot easier for them to add features, fix problems (such as the ones reported on here) and respond to the want's/needs of clients - a news feed perhaps?

Does this screen shot look familiar?

http://www.arielcommunications.co.uk/img/titan_client.jpg

Im sure simon can shed some more light on this if he is still around??

JK

Last edited:
Absolutely. If you don't feel you are getting the service you deserve from CS, then vote with your feet an trade somewhere else. I am sorry to hear that some customers feel that CS no longer provide a good service, but that is sometimes the way when good companies reach a certain size - the views of the individual punter and the commitment to providing the best possible service are swept away in consideration of the bottom line. Remember also they the other bucket shops probably wouldn't have had as much of an incentive to improve if it were not for the service offered by CS over the years.
I have stated many times on this thread that CS is one of the best SB around, I have no intention to stop trading with them. Some of the service they offer is undoubtedly good. Yet, one can, through a thread like this, collectively, put pressure on the company, to make them understand that they need to improve in certain important areas. This is in order to progress and go forward in a quick changing industry. I do not believe in giving in, a thread like this can make them introduce new platform functionalities. They cannot afford to ignore the individual trader in the long run, especially if their economic interests are threatened by a collective protest from the traders.

I think it is perhaps harder for them to implement many of the changes people ask for

Capital Spreads employ the Ariel Titan I suite to power their entire IT operation. The full Titan I suite was intended to be a "brokerage in a box". It includes a customised user interface, administration site, price engine, order management system, and robust hosting solution. Titan I frees Capital’s management from having to manage an internal IT department

Ariel Communications Ltd

According to this they don't have an internal IT department so it is clear why they may find it harder and more expensive to change their platform. Other companies developed their own software so I imagine this makes it alot easier for them to add features, fix problems (such as the ones reported on here) and respond to the want's/needs of clients - a news feed perhaps?

Does this screen shot look familiar?

http://www.arielcommunications.co.uk/img/titan_client.jpg

Im sure simon can shed some more light on this if he is still around??

JK
It is easy to make custom made changes on a trading platform, even if it not in house. It will cost a little bit more, but I am sure they can afford it.

Yes I have noticed, Simon is not around that much anymore.