Best Thread Capital Spreads

Hi simon et al,
is there a way to set the default automatic stop loss to a different value so that when I place a trade (limit or market) the stop is set at the level I am comfortable with rather than the huge gap it is set at?
I know I can set it when I place a limit order but if I then change my entry point I also have to change my stop.
regards,
shortorlong

shortorlong

unfortunately we do not have a 'default' stop level. when you put in your new order (as you say) you can define your required stop level. If you amend this new order it would only take about 3 seconds to amend the stop level at the same time. I have never seen a default stop level on a trading system (but no doubt they exist) but for the amount of programming required to save just a few seconds on order creation I fear that the benefit (and here I do, for once, of course mean to Capital Spreads not the client) would not be enough to justify the cost.

Simon

unfortunately we do not have a 'default' stop level. when you put in your new order (as you say) you can define your required stop level. If you amend this new order it would only take about 3 seconds to amend the stop level at the same time. I have never seen a default stop level on a trading system (but no doubt they exist) but for the amount of programming required to save just a few seconds on order creation I fear that the benefit (and here I do, for once, of course mean to Capital Spreads not the client) would not be enough to justify the cost.

Simon
Sorry, I cannot agree with you about the importance of having a user predefined stop loss. Even if it takes a few seconds, with a sudden movement in the market, it is a great risk for the trader to end up with a much greater loss than initially anticipated. It can throw him/her off guard, not to mention altogether forgetting to change the stop loss. In trading it is very important to have these simple functions predefined so that one can solely concentrate on the actual trade. Like many others on this board, I have brought this matter up over and over again, I guess it will continue because traders see it as an important feature on a trading platform. The cost for it would be minor compared to the goodwill for service and functionality that is achieved by the spread betting company. It is not important what other SB's companies have, what matters is what CS can deliver.

Having said this much, I must also add Simon, that your timely contributions to this board are much appreciated.

predetermined stop levels

I had been concentrating on the 'new order' aspect of this rather than the new trade aspect.

I know that our developers are very busy at the moment for various reasons, but I will put it to them. It would require some serious redesign as it would need a new area where a client could predetermine aspects of trades.
Such as
default bet size
default stop level
default limit
etc
etc

will see if it is feasable in the short term.

Simon

I had been concentrating on the 'new order' aspect of this rather than the new trade aspect.

I know that our developers are very busy at the moment for various reasons, but I will put it to them. It would require some serious redesign as it would need a new area where a client could predetermine aspects of trades.
Such as
default bet size
default stop level
default limit
etc
etc

will see if it is feasable in the short term.

Simon
Thanks Simon, I think CS will benefit a lot being in the forefront when it comes to platform functionality.

is there any chance of reducing the spread for usd/chf to something more reasonable like 3 pips? 4 pips is a rip off compared to the other major forex pairs which are all 2-3 pips.

predetermined stop levels on market orders is something i'd be interseted in aswell.

do the prices on full accounts update faster than the demo accounts becuase the demos are REALLY slow, to be honest it looks like you guys skew your prices.

do the prices on full accounts update faster than the demo accounts becuase the demos are REALLY slow, to be honest it looks like you guys skew your prices.
Well in fact CS is mentioning that the demo could be slower. As always, it is real trading that counts. I guess one should use the demo only to get used to the platform.

Remember guys WS give me a second chance to trade off referred to dealer, well guess what, they have stopped me trading with them again, they told me I can always phone up for them to quote me a price, yes as if," I am a day trader". All i can say to anyone who wins with WS they will be put on referred to dealer waiting up to 30 to 45 seconds for a fill. They brag about 1 and 2 pip spread, bottom line, they cant deliver.. I 100% do NOT recommend them to anyone.It's not if, I was scalping I could be in a trade from 5 to 30 mins.

Back to good old direct acces...Simon I think you are telling pokies saying you have traders trading £200 £300 a point. are you sure its not the other betting firms laying off bets.

Definitely get a real money account - the charts are different, the platform is faster....bears little resemblance to the demo platform and is much nicer to use!

laptop

why on earth would I tell a porky about trade size? as always readers/clients are welcome to come and visit our trading room. If other bookies are sneakily using us to hedge positions , so what.. if they were, we would take it as rather a compliment. We have a large number of clients who regularly punt in sizes of 200 or more. Our average trade sizes are, of course, very much smaller than this, the vast majority are £5 or lower.

Hannibal
not sure about the accuracy of the markets on the demo accounts as they are taken from a general feed . They are never 'biased' what would be the point? We never really even look at the demo until someone tells us there is a problem.

The live prices are very much more accurate as they have to be (we are talking real money after all.

The demo platform is just there to help new spread betting clients to get a handle on the intracacies of SB and maybe to try out some trading strategies.

i noticed the usd/chf as well the other day as well..it seems out of line

simon

laptop

why on earth would I tell a porky about trade size? as always readers/clients are welcome to come and visit our trading room. If other bookies are sneakily using us to hedge positions , so what.. if they were, we would take it as rather a compliment. We have a large number of clients who regularly punt in sizes of 200 or more. Our average trade sizes are, of course, very much smaller than this, the vast majority are £5 or lower.

simon

Just re-capping an earlier conversation - so the maximum you will allow per trade (FTSE, for example), is 300 quid a pip, with a maximum overall open position size of 2000 quid a pip? Is that the absolute ceiling, or can someone theoretically even go higher than that? Would you accept a FTSE bet at ten grand a pip? :LOL:

fx extending trading hours

Simon,

I have a few questions about Capital Forex. Can you trade 24 hours a day monday to friday. Is their a minimum bet size. Is CapitalSpreads ever going to extend their fx opening hours.

Thanks,

breadman

opening an account from France

Hi, Simon

Is it possible for us french guys to open an account in your spread betting company?
If yes, on which conditions?
Thank you

Hi, Simon

Is it possible for us french guys to open an account in your spread betting company?
Thank you

yes, but only if you stop stinking of garlic and getting pi**ed all day on wine :)

Mods Note:

Warning given over this post.

eur/usd

why e.g. today at 1:45 a.m. is the high on the chart of eur/usd 1.3462 when the market was not there when i compare it with another several charts ???

Hi, Simon

Thank you

I think there French laws that prohibit the marketing of 'betting' products to french residents. While in other jurisdictions historically it was up to the 'purchaser' of the product to be aware of their tax situation (ie declare gains) the onus on UK companies now is to look carefully at what they are selling / offering. A cfd is pretty much the same thing so you could trade that product.

various

jheid

we accept clients from all over the world (except the US) . we are not allowed to market in most countries but we can accept clients. If you are a french citizen we will need you to send us sufficient data to prove that you are who you say you are. Copy of passport /ID card original utility bill etc etc... requirements are listed on the account opening form and customer services will help out with your requests. We have three french speakers to help out. as Pear states, spread bets are not tax free for non UK/Irish citizens (and various others). there are of course still various advantages to spread betting even so.

alf

obviously there were some misquotes from our feeds for a few mins in the eur/usd in the early hours...no stops were activated and no client was harmed by the rogue prices. If any client had made a trade on a price not reflective of the underlying market we reserve the right to subsequently reject the trade. This same right is held by our clients in respect of us if they have been unfairly entered into or exited from a position by a rogue print.

breadman

capital forex is indeed a 24 hour FX platform but it is not spread betting it is 'real' FX the platform is really meant for institutional players and the minimum size is $250,000. we will be launching a retail FX platform soon and the minimum size will be $40,000 (equivalent to approximately a £1 bet on gbp/usd).

many of our major crosses are already 24hr (in restricted size) from 24.00 on sunday to 21.00 on friday.

Simon