Best Thread Capital Spreads

Explanation Time

there was a major power failure at some company called 'Telehouse' who are a major jump off point for the internet. This caused an internet outage to a number of ISP's in the City . Our ISP provider Mistral was one of these.

Simon

capitalspreads said:
Explanation Time

there was a major power failure at some company called 'Telehouse' who are a major jump off point for the internet. This caused an internet outage to a number of ISP's in the City . Our ISP provider Mistral was one of these.

Simon

The whole experience was a touch of what I might call 'trouser trauma', but otherwise all's well that ends well :cheesy:

Again

Friday it was a power cut , today its ................... earthquake , fire , act of god ......................

VV1999 said:
Friday it was a power cut , today its ................... earthquake , fire , act of god ......................

On that note - do CS offer guaranteed stops - if they do are they still guaranteed in the case of Force Majeure?

The Pear

in the case where the problem is our end or confined to us then all stops(limits) will be filled at the levels requested.

Force Majeure is only called into being if there is an industry wide dislocation.

Simon

Holiday data

Simon

Would it be possible to publish holiday opening times somewhere on the website?

I know that you email the information but it would also be helpful if was put on the website so that the information can be checked even if email is not available.

Regards

Ben

fxwinner22

i was hoping that you might drink it just before logging on and even the odds a little !!

happy new year 2 u 2

Simon

List of ...

Simon,

Any chance of providing lists of tradable stock in the us together with imr, cgsl and typical spread (where possible). I know some of this may change, often frequently, but i'm working through to see what's tradable for me and it's taking quite come time.

Thanks,
Andrew

a0-0b

there is no definitive list of US shares.... in general we quote S&P 500 stocks plus any stock that (in our opinion) is liquid enough for us to hedge. Normally this means a share with greater than $1Bln market cap.

If you want a particular share just give us a call and we will either agree or not at that time. You can use the search facility to look for individual stocks that are already in place. In general, again, we will only quote on a rolling basis as US shares are very expensive for us to trade on margin ourselves

Simon

At the risk of sounding like a moaning b@stard, here goes.....

This morning, I synchronised my desktop clock with the CS clock, to check something. Below is a screenshot from this afternoon. Can you spot what's not right about it?

The times have been wandering all over the place throughout today, and while I (now) have an independent charing package, the chart still regularly lags the price, even in non-fast markets. Is there anything more that can be done to rectify this please?

EDIT - At the time I took the screenshot, the lag was 3 minutes, and it is now 6 minutes!

Attachments

• time.JPG
    time.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 191
jbat

we are also not happy with the situation. It appears that our prices are leaving our servers ok and arriving at the charting servers ok but there is some delay in our ISP routing. Our IT guys are working on it but they cannot tell me when it will be resolved at the moment.

None of this affects the trading platform

Simon

Last edited:
JBAT, man, do yourself a favour and scrap their charts & never use them. I see you are using indicators, if you make your trade decisions based on patterns, etc. then you will find that they indicate wrong values, you are not seeing true values. If you are trading S&P500 futures, then get another chart platform (Quotetracker) with IQ feed and use indicators based on real data, not on SBs quotes and no gaps due to non-quoting time periods.

Get a separate charting package/feed & as long as there is no lag in CS's quotes and they answer the phone promptly you will be just fine. No such thing as free lunch, that applies to most things in life, certainly applies to CS in a way, you don't get a bun with your burger :)

The problems with the charts seem to be resolved now, so many thanks to Simon and the IT staff for resolving things.

On another note, does anyone else think that Sterling's recent behaviour is a bit bonkers? Not that the fundamentals aren't there to support it, but cable at nearly $2, Yen getting the stuffing kicked out of it,......and this is before UK raises rates again and America cuts theirs! It's a funny old world...

jbat

we still have a few probs on the charts so thanks for the comment but wait a bit because we are still resolving a few final bits.

I cannot actually comment on market direction but within that I would like to say that the world wide search for income does seem to have dislocated things a little. (mind you I thought that Eur/Yen at 145 was a bit pricey and it just hit 158.50!) at least those technical thingmy bobs that we buy will be that bit cheaper.

It is a bit difficult for some pensioner in Japan with a load of Yen sitting on his accounts to tolerate zero percent return on his assets when he can push it into dollars and get 5%.

At some point the elastic band will have gone too far but when? who knows?

Simon