Best Thread Capital Spreads

last few days a definite case in point

market 'falls' to 5725 (support) (all clients get long) and quickly bounces back to 5840 (resistance) (clients take profit on way up and get short) falls to 5780 (clients take profit but not a big enough fall to buy)

now up at 5835 clients selling again.... probably going to fall back below 5800 !

there is just not enough news to move the markets out of their ranges. the FTSE has effectively traded between 5700 and 5900 for two months.

simon
Simon, I noticed you change the limitation on stop loss on the Dow to 4 points (during US market hours). Well 2 points was a little bit too much of a gift wasn't it? 4 points is quite OK by me though.

gle

mmmm... did not notice

Am asking the reason. it might simply be because the system was upgraded over the weekend and the issue over minimum stop levels was corrected.

Which would have altered the min stop level to what it should have been before the last upgrade messed it up ! It is amazing when upgrades are installed how a tiny change in one bit can effect another area that we were completely unaware of (no matter how much testing we do)

Simon

gle

mmmm... did not notice

Am asking the reason. it might simply be because the system was upgraded over the weekend and the issue over minimum stop levels was corrected.

Which would have altered the min stop level to what it should have been before the last upgrade messed it up ! It is amazing when upgrades are installed how a tiny change in one bit can effect another area that we were completely unaware of (no matter how much testing we do)

Simon
OK, then maybe you can put it back being 2?:)

Simon

Yesterday, just after 15:00, was there a platform issue that caused the EURUSD feed to go wrong? I think it lasted about 4 minutes perhaps?

i am looking at the tick data (25000-29000 tick events) on the chart and can see no issues and looking at the client trade data for the same time we received EUR trades throughout the period after 1500.

so i will have to say on my (admittedly cursory) look at activity at the time i can see no issues

Simon

Thanks for your prompt reply. Does your reasoning apply to white labels as well? My experience was I entered long and then it hanged. So I exited and logged back in. I did not see market prices but I realised that my trade went through. I felt the platform had issues so I decided to close it but it just kept on hanging. Then the market prices appeared and I could finally close the position. For some strange reason, the prices on the charts were moving during this time. Have contacted white label and waiting for reply.

twinj

it pains me to say that i have no idea

obviously we host a wide array of partner URLs, if there is a temporary problem with one of them it is difficult for us to comment unless we receive info from clients. If u have asked the WL customer support for information i am sure they will find out.

charts come from a different hosting centre than the price feeds and so you may not have experienced a problem with them when u had one with the specific link to the pricing engines. Naturally there are millions of individual linkages to any systems.

Even if you are just 1/2 mile from our hosting centre your IP connectivity may well take you through some weird and wonderful satellite route across the globe.

Simon

Thank you Simon. One more thing.

From what you say, there can easily be a situation where the charts freeze yet the platform prices still work? But how about when the capitalspreads platform breaks down? Does the white label one also breakdown always or can there be instances of white label platforms still working?

Thank you Simon. One more thing.

From what you say, there can easily be a situation where the charts freeze yet the platform prices still work? But how about when the capitalspreads platform breaks down? Does the white label one also breakdown always or can there be instances of white label platforms still working?
My guess is that it is the same, seeing from what I know trading a few LCG white label. the instability at extreme volatility at times is one of the few drawbacks of CS. Still, there are so many good things that make them among the top of the SB's according to my standard.

twinj

in general all the platforms should work as one... what i was trying to say (very badly) was that your connectivity to our platforms might be different for the charts than for the price engine as your personal route for each would be different.

Some URLs are hosted by our partners and some are totally provided by CapitalSpreads (it depends on the partner)

Simon

twinj

in general all the platforms should work as one... what i was trying to say (very badly) was that your connectivity to our platforms might be different for the charts than for the price engine as your personal route for each would be different.

Some URLs are hosted by our partners and some are totally provided by CapitalSpreads (it depends on the partner)

Simon
Sometimes you do have price feed problems. One should stay out when these problems occurs. This especially during extreme volatility, when the price feed runs amok. This is probably in combination with a huge no. of orders are sent to the servers. It is not really a big problem, if one is aware of the problem, and can take action not to enter a position until the problem is solved.

Here comes a short review of trading the 1 spread Dow with CS.

I am so far very satisfied with the execution of the 1 point spread on the Dow. Just a few "price no longer valid" messages and no slippage. It seems it has gotten even better after the recent upgrade of the platform. Glad that I took it up a year ago, the need of a 1 point spread on the Dow. Not hat I think that my suggestion was a deciding factor for CS, but nevertheless very satisfying. I had to wait for a long time for it to be implemented, apparently it was worth the wait as, it has been rewarded by narrow spread and good service. My hope is now, that it will become a permanent 1 point spread on the Dow.

Last edited:
Sometimes you do have price feed problems. One should stay out when these problems occurs. This especially during extreme volatility, when the price feed runs amok. This is probably in combination with a huge no. of orders are sent to the servers. It is not really a big problem, if one is aware of the problem, and can take action not to enter a position until the problem is solved.

The real problem would be if you are already in, and want to get out. You could phone up, along with everyone else I guess! These systems are very complicated and made of multiple parts - one small problem on one (say CS's FEP) can back up the load everywhere else. Prices will flow from their price server to their FEP and also to the third party charting company at the same time. If the CS hosting company in Hemel is conjested (FEP or otherwise) and the charting company fast, you'll get charting prices before the platform prices. Usually this doesn't happen, but it can when the main hosting company backs up for any reason. Client connectivity between your home computer and CS hosting and your computer and the charting company will be pretty much the same give or take 20milliseconds or so. Any difference WILL only be due to congestion...

The real problem would be if you are already in, and want to get out. You could phone up, along with everyone else I guess! These systems are very complicated and made of multiple parts - one small problem on one (say CS's FEP) can back up the load everywhere else. Prices will flow from their price server to their FEP and also to the third party charting company at the same time. If the CS hosting company in Hemel is conjested (FEP or otherwise) and the charting company fast, you'll get charting prices before the platform prices. Usually this doesn't happen, but it can when the main hosting company backs up for any reason. Client connectivity between your home computer and CS hosting and your computer and the charting company will be pretty much the same give or take 20milliseconds or so. Any difference WILL only be due to congestion...
Yes, you seem to be well informed about such sensitive IT systems where micro seconds are in play. Anyway, from a security standpoint one must have a secondary SB up and running, this in case one needs to hedge in order to get out of the position.

yes matt101 does seem very well informed . i shall have to find out who he is !

just thought i would mention we cut S&P to 3

so we now have (in hours) spreads on major indices of

1 for FTSE, DAX, CAC, Dow, Aussi
2 for singapore, nasdaq, eurostoxx,
3 for S&P, Russ 2k

simon

yes matt101 does seem very well informed . i shall have to find out who he is !

just thought i would mention we cut S&P to 3

so we now have (in hours) spreads on major indices of

1 for FTSE, DAX, CAC, Dow, Aussi
2 for singapore, nasdaq, eurostoxx,
3 for S&P, Russ 2k

simon

Hey Simon, if Dow is 1pt, surely we should expect 0.5 on the main Euro indices?:)

Nqsdaq is only 0.4, cool.
Well, they have had it for quite a while on this particular instrument. I have traded it quite a lot. Earlier they had problem with too many "price no longer valid". Apparently CS didn't have any internal deviation on the instrument thereof a lot of rejections. I will test it again as it might work better after the recent upgrade of the platform.

Why not just ask for choice spreads and be done with it?! Then everyone will go bust like WorldSpreads and we can all start punting on horses instead... Thinking about it, would people prefer choice spreads and pay commission, or keep with spreads and no commission???? We're fairly lucky in the UK, other countries have to pay outrageous amounts on both!

Why not just ask for choice spreads and be done with it?! Then everyone will go bust like WorldSpreads and we can all start punting on horses instead... Thinking about it, would people prefer choice spreads and pay commission, or keep with spreads and no commission???? We're fairly lucky in the UK, other countries have to pay outrageous amounts on both!
Yes I think we about reach rock bottom when it comes to spread. At least I am now satisfied with the spread and instrument that I am trading with CS. Spread betting and CFDs is not legal in the US and many US citizen are quite jealous of us being able to participate in this game.