Best Thread Capital Spreads

Yes, the not so good old days of huge spreads, crashing platforms and dial-up internet connections that took about five minutes to load a page. We shouldn't grumble so much.:)
Yes my wife nearly killed me when she found out about our telephone bill.:LOL:

You must be even older than me. I think the Dow was 8pt at IG when I signed up in about 2001.

Oh yes I remember that - I think FTSE was 4 and Dow was 6 (or 8 after-hours). 2001 was also when I signed up to IG Index. I had only two spreadbetting accounts back then, the other being CMC Markets. There were only a few providers I knew about, e.g. these two, City Index and Cantor Index. I don't think London Capital Group/Capital Spreads existed at the time.

the dealers finally agreed to move to 1 pip on US30 . we will be cutting other markets in the near future. systems seem to be getting faster and faster these days ...

.. so i suppose the real winner in all of this is the client. I remember 9 years ago when Capital Spreads launched with 4 points on the Dow virtually halving some of our competitors' spreads... sigh... profitability was a bit easier in those days!

cheers

simon
"cutting other markets in the near future". Any hint of what markets you are referring to?

What I also think CS needs to address is the limitations on stop loss. 11 points from entry level on the Dow is about the worst in the industry. In this regard they need to half the distance.

What I also think CS needs to address is the limitations on stop loss. 11 points from entry level on the Dow is about the worst in the industry. In this regard they need to half the distance.

11pt!? I was going to give them another go, but if that's the case then I won't bother. City/Fins have been offering 1pt spread and no minimum stop distance on the Dow for a year or two. Most of the time there are no problems, so CS will need to have a rethink.

11pt!? I was going to give them another go, but if that's the case then I won't bother. City/Fins have been offering 1pt spread and no minimum stop distance on the Dow for a year or two. Most of the time there are no problems, so CS will need to have a rethink.
Yes I agree, CS really need to improve in this area. On the other hand City is not an angel, far from it, speaking from personal experience as I also have a live account with them.

They increase the min stop loss distance to 11 points(n) from 5 points.

I have been trading with different SB's over the years. Despite all, I regard CS to be one of the most, if not the most reliable and honest company in the business. Simon has never "chicken out" but over the years given us support even if he as a front figure of the company really should be taken care of other more "important" matters.

I have been trading with different SB's over the years. Despite all, I regard CS to be one of the most, if not the most reliable and honest company in the business. Simon has never "chicken out" but over the years given us support even if he as a front figure of the company really should be taken care of other more "important" matters.

I agree with that, but that doesn't make me any happier about an 11pt minimum stop distance. As far as I remember, even WorldSpreads offered 5pt on their alleged zero spread markets.

I agree with that, but that doesn't make me any happier about an 11pt minimum stop distance. As far as I remember, even WorldSpreads offered 5pt on their alleged zero spread markets.
There might be a reason for the 11 points limitation. CS do not in general give you slippage during market orders. Despite this, I agree, 11 points is way too much and they should look it over.

It's true CS does not in general give slippage during stop order, but 5 points should be enough to protect themselves.

actually guys there is a technical reason for the 11 point stop limit. we have a system bug which is caused by rounding issues/stake points/decimal places.

to get a one point spread in the Dow the closest we could put the stop was 10 (plus spread equals eleven). we are working on it.

to be honest though the vast majority of our clients do not have profit/loss horizons of less than 10. this does not mean that we are not looking for solutions just that we must be commercial in launching new products/prices when we can

Simon

actually guys there is a technical reason for the 11 point stop limit. we have a system bug which is caused by rounding issues/stake points/decimal places.

to get a one point spread in the Dow the closest we could put the stop was 10 (plus spread equals eleven). we are working on it.

to be honest though the vast majority of our clients do not have profit/loss horizons of less than 10. this does not mean that we are not looking for solutions just that we must be commercial in launching new products/prices when we can

Simon
Thanks Simon. Good that you are working on it. You have had this limitation for quite some time. Is this a platform specific problem? Because you do have the same limitation on the MT4 CFDs platform. I would imagine there are quite many traders that would like this to be less, and this includes me.

I don't use MT4 but for who run EA on MT4 do want to set stop to specific point according to the algorithm.

sry.. the bug is in the pricing engine when coupled with systems. the more complex everything gets the stranger the things that get thrown up.

sry.. the bug is in the pricing engine when coupled with systems. the more complex everything gets the stranger the things that get thrown up.
OK I understand, hopefully you can sort it out in one way or the other. It is understandable that some limitation might be in place (although there are a few SB's that do not adopt limitations on stops). Not easy hey Simon, clients are never satisfied.:)